Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #2,941 of 9,329
  It seems like there's a very 'extreme' opinion on the HD700's: you either love it or hate it. As someone who's looking into this and the Shure SRH1840, I'm still a bit flummoxed which one will be preferable to me. Trialing either will not be an option, as I live in Australia and barely any stores demo it. Hence, I'll just have to rely on you guys' opinions.

Right now, for me, I can get either the SRH1840 or the HD700 at the same price ($600 AUD/$470 USD). I'm intending this setup to be my last for a while, with myself being a poor student, and intend these to be my 'break' into the hi-end world (at least, into open cans).

As for my preferences, I like bass in my headphones, but most importantly, I like a big soundstage and clarity (though not so much I can hear an ant walking across the stage). My previous gear is fairly humble, with my latest rig being just a Sony MDR-1A, which I adore, but also realise its shortcomings. My brother also has a HD650 which I use from time to time, and while it's very good, I want a little something more than it. Balance is not a huge thing for me: after all, EQ'ing exists for a reason :)

My musical choices are pretty simple: everything minus electronic/dubstep and rock. So while bass is nice for me, it's not a deal-breaker if there's not a lot.

With that being said, would the SRH1840 or the HD700 be more suitable for me? Or any other suggestions at the $600 USD range for open cans, along with a decent amp?

I owned both.  HD700 has the bigger sound stage (more expansive), is warmer and darker than the SRH1840.  To me it was also a lot more comfortable.  The 1840 has a smaller sound stage, is very neutral (one of the most neutral cans I've heard), and tends to sound just a little airier/brighter.  Of the two, IMO the HD700 was a lot more techniocally capable - had very good bass quality, and was a joy to listen to especially with acoustic.

Both are really good cans - but if price is similar, IMO the HD700 is the better buy.

Good news is that they are both very easy to power - and will run fine even straight out of a DAP/smartphone.  Both are capable of improvement from a better source - the HD700 more so IME.

You may find this interesting - comparison between an HD700 and HD600 I did a while ago.  If you know the signature of your brothers HD600 it might give you some insight.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725127/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd700

I ended up selling the HD700 and DT880 - simply because at the time I had the T1, HD700, HD600 and DT880, and something had to go.  I still have the T1 and HD600.  I sometimes wonder whether I would have been better keeping the T1 and HD700. The problem is that they are all great headphones.

If you do see a cheapish T1 before you take the plunge - and you can afford a semi decent amp - my advice would be to go that way.  The T1 (as it should be) is IMO a lot more superior to both the SRH1840 and HD700.  They are surprisingly affordable at the moment - but at 600ohm, you need amplification.  With the HD700 and SRH1840 your source choices are a lot wider.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #2,942 of 9,329
  Sibilance test: Nurzery [Rhymes] – The Blood Prince HD700 please kill me starting from 1.30 mark.

Sounds like its the SQ of the recording more than anything. The HD800, HD700, HE-6 and most other flagship headphones that are more accurate will sound painful on poor recordings. It's one of the downsides to high end headphones. With the HE-6 I made a full library just dedicated to high quality recordings. 

Chances are the LCDs don't sound as painful because of their heavy treble roll off. They tended to sound okay with mediocre recordings (and just okay with great recordings too 
wink.gif
). They aren't a very "accurate" or "revealing" headphone. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #2,943 of 9,329

Sounds like its the SQ of the recording more than anything. The HD800, HD700, HE-6 and most other flagship headphones that are more accurate will sound painful on poor recordings. It's one of the downsides to high end headphones. With the HE-6 I made a full library just dedicated to high quality recordings. 

Chances are the LCDs don't sound as painful because of their heavy treble roll off. They tended to sound okay with mediocre recordings (and just okay with great recordings too 
wink.gif
). They aren't a very "accurate" or "revealing" headphone. 

l agree with the first paragraph. As for the second, just to say: l didn't find the new LCD-2 'fazor' had a "heavy treble roll off".  

@Brooko thanks for your efforts to take this thread back to 'normal course' 
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,944 of 9,329
  Sibilance test: Nurzery [Rhymes] – The Blood Prince HD700 please kill me starting from 1.30 mark.

I guess I'm a bit luckier than you. I thought my setup was painfully bright, but that track didn't bother me. Using Google Play Music. Even at loud volumes there was no issue.

Still on the road to finding a setup that can tame the HD700's treble. Not exactly a fan of finding FLAC files for every song I like. I love the ease and accessibility of Google Play Music. If I can find a DAC/AMP that can tame the harsh treble, and allow me to get away playing 320kbps tunes, I'd be absolutely happy.

With that said, Vali arrives in a few days. Valhalla 2 is going back. Kind of surprised the Valhalla 2 is recommended a lot with the HD700. I'd say it doesn't tame the treble one bit. I guess if you don't listen to 80's recordings, only well mastered newer stuff all in FLAC then you're fine. I like to listen to a lot of genres over many time periods, which doesn't help. Still debating getting a HE-400i, as I hear that's not painfully bright yet still excellent.

Also for the record, I don't want to sell my HD700 because even though it's bright, it sounds amazing. This is definitely a keeper, at least until I find something better.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #2,945 of 9,329
I guess if you don't listen to 80's recordings, only well mastered newer stuff all in FLAC then you're fine. I like to listen to a lot of genres over many time periods, which doesn't help.

Music made in the 2000's by famous bands can still sound like ****. Try Gorillaz - Feel Good inc or Sabaton - Primo Victoria.

Some of the best industrial was made in 80's. Most of them are still producing music today but their current stuff is bad.
Skinny Puppy – Assimilate

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,947 of 9,329
I owned both.  HD700 has the bigger sound stage (more expansive), is warmer and darker than the SRH1840.  To me it was also a lot more comfortable.  The 1840 has a smaller sound stage, is very neutral (one of the most neutral cans I've heard), and tends to sound just a little airier/brighter.  Of the two, IMO the HD700 was a lot more techniocally capable - had very good bass quality, and was a joy to listen to especially with acoustic.

Both are really good cans - but if price is similar, IMO the HD700 is the better buy.

Good news is that they are both very easy to power - and will run fine even straight out of a DAP/smartphone.  Both are capable of improvement from a better source - the HD700 more so IME.

You may find this interesting - comparison between an HD700 and HD600 I did a while ago.  If you know the signature of your brothers HD600 it might give you some insight.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725127/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd700

I ended up selling the HD700 and DT880 - simply because at the time I had the T1, HD700, HD600 and DT880, and something had to go.  I still have the T1 and HD600.  I sometimes wonder whether I would have been better keeping the T1 and HD700. The problem is that they are all great headphones.

If you do see a cheapish T1 before you take the plunge - and you can afford a semi decent amp - my advice would be to go that way.  The T1 (as it should be) is IMO a lot more superior to both the SRH1840 and HD700.  They are surprisingly affordable at the moment - but at 600ohm, you need amplification.  With the HD700 and SRH1840 your source choices are a lot wider.

T1's are over a grand and a bit. I'll keep in mind what you said when I trial them soon. Thanks!

On another issue, you think an O2 amp will work well? Others seem to think so.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #2,948 of 9,329
O2 will be fine. They are in fact quite easy to drive. Sennheiser designed them so that they can even be driven out of a reasonable portable source.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #2,949 of 9,329
Just auditioned 1540s and HD700. Was quite impressed by the build quality (coming from X2) and happy to hear a lean and tight bass; I've also heard sounds the X2 couldn't reveal. I'm 99% sure they'll be my next headphone, to be paired with Sound Blaster X7.

The 1540 albeit just as comfortable didn't seem to have anything special about them (also compared to Philips X2).

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #2,950 of 9,329
Just got them New for 290£. Amazon.Fr Flash sale. And I joined the queue pretty late, so if you go there you might still get it. So happy!

P.S. I know I should edit but I want to bump the thread to spread the offer.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #2,952 of 9,329
  Just got them New for 290£. Amazon.Fr Flash sale. And I joined the queue pretty late, so if you go there you might still get it. So happy!

P.S. I know I should edit but I want to bump the thread to spread the offer.

That's a great price for a new HD700, grats. You should look into a good tube amp now.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,953 of 9,329
  That's a great price for a new HD700, grats. You should look into a good tube amp now.

I have a Sound Blaster X7 on the way, I'll see how it goes with that :)

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2,955 of 9,329
  That's not what deja vu means.  It's a coincidence.  

Yep.......perhaps he'd meant to say 'serendipitous'.

BTW, I have always thought my HD700 was either a dud or that my hearing was a little off, I felt that it was a tad dark and sounded somewhat veiled, yep IKR. Anyway, just for fun, I disconnected my Schiit Lyr from my iFi Nano iDSD and connected the latter to my Schiit Vali. Wow, what a difference! Suddenly, the HD700 sounded more dynamic, more lively, and I could actually hear some nice treble. I'll pair my HD700 with the Vali + Fostex HPA4 stack in my other system, it doesn't have nice synergy with the Lyr, man, hearing this for myself, I'm a believer of amps having synergy with the cans, if not, it simply comes out a tad off. Same goes with my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, the Vali pairs nicely with it....imho anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back