Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,447 of 9,326
  Sorry for the double post, bu man that is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Ya I think so too, but I’d have to thank Gustavo in Argentina, the designer/manufacturer who has put us Rega owners on a much higher playing field with his, IMHO, affordable and beautiful designed and functional Tangospinner upgrades.

But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts so that there is greater control/interaction between the stylus and the disc which translates in better detail recovery, tighter/better defined base and most importantly, and I’m not exactly sure why, but a major reduction in surface noise which is a godsend if one wishes to listen to vinyl with headphones.

Now back to headphones.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,449 of 9,326
  Hi folks!

I am interested in a pair of HD700 headphones. I would like to make sure I get a recent  serial number so can you please tell me which approximate serial number you have and when and where you purchased your HD700s?

I did the same when I was buying the HD800 and the results were rewarding.

Cheers!
Antun

the HD700 headphones, themselves, don't have serial number. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,450 of 9,326
  I'm seriously considering getting the HD700. I understand it's the perfect balance between the HD650 and the HD800.
And I have just two questions before I buy them:

1. How is the HD700 for rock music? rock, blues, jazz, psychedelic rock, hard rock... etc.
2. How is the HD700 combined with the WooAudio WA7?

Thanks a lot in advance!  

1. Not bad
2. Good 

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,451 of 9,326
  I'm seriously considering getting the HD700. I understand it's the perfect balance between the HD650 and the HD800.
And I have just two questions before I buy them:

1. How is the HD700 for rock music? rock, blues, jazz, psychedelic rock, hard rock... etc.
2. How is the HD700 combined with the WooAudio WA7?

Thanks a lot in advance!  

1.  Superb, they are amazing for rock.  
2.  Wish I could let you know, but I do know they pair well with gear that is analog or warm in nature.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2,452 of 9,326
Ok, 

After trialing the Schiits/Woo's/Bursons etc..

This is what I think is the best combo by far for the HD700's:) Very happy:) And running it.. UNBALANCED!! It was still better then the rest.. Yep the Sennheiser HDVA-600:)

Get it now!!

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,454 of 9,326
  the HD700 headphones, themselves, don't have serial number. 

Hi and thanks for your reply!

I didn't know that! I was under the impression Sennheiser was going for exclusiveness just like with the HD800. It doesn't matter in any case, they still seem like a fine headphone.

Cheers!
Antun

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2,455 of 9,326

Honestly.....not much if any..but I do appreciate the extra 3dBs (6dBs with a balanced source) of gain with the balanced connection.... especially with vinyl.

Hi Rob!

You also happen to have the same amplifier as I do, the Bryston BHA-1. So as with the HD800, the HD700 is a good match for the BHA-1 I take it?

Cheers!
Antun

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,456 of 9,326
  Hi Rob!

You also happen to have the same amplifier as I do, the Bryston BHA-1. So as with the HD800, the HD700 is a good match for the BHA-1 I take it?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I find the BHA-1 doesn’t do anything really special, like most Bryston amps I’ve owned over the last 25 plus years, it just goes about doing it’s job... supplying a clean, noise free, undistorted amplified signal.

The HD700s and even more so the HD800s are fairly neutral IMHO, so with the BHA-1 they are both quite chameleon in nature with each recording, “WYHIWYG”.

Robert

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,457 of 9,326

Hi Antun

I find the BHA-1 doesn’t do anything really special, like most Bryston amps I’ve owned over the last 25 plus years, it just goes about doing it’s job... supplying a clean, noise free, undistorted amplified signal.

The HD700s and even more so the HD800s are fairly neutral IMHO, so with the BHA-1 they are both quite chameleon in nature with each recording, “WYHIWYG”.

Robert

Hi Robert!

Then the HD700 is exactly what I am looking for! I am looking for a pair of headphones that will complement the HD800 and at offer (at least to some extent) the insight into music that HD800 have. The HD800 is a rather fine headphone but sometimes I feel like using something else, perhaps a bit less clinical, and connected to something else in the system as I don't necessarily always use the Bryston.

In your opinion, are the HD700s more "friendly" towards different amplifiers? I have found that in order to get the most from the HD800, you need a top class amplification and source component. This is fine of course since HD800 is a top class headphone. But this is hardly a transportable scenario and sometimes I like to listen to a cassette deck or a turntable or FM radio shows in the other room and HD800 being what it is, isn't really suitable for that.

Cheers!
Antun

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,458 of 9,326
One thing to keep in mind with the HD700 is that the stock cable is terminated in a 1/4" plug, which should be taken into consideration with transportable setups (not to mention the general stuff like long cable, size, don't want to expose this level of investment to the dangers of the outside world). That said, it sounds good out of my DIY tube amp, new Creative Sound Blaster X7, and I haven't tried it but I suspect good things with my Yamaha AV receiver's headphone jack, so I'd surmise that the HD700 isn't so picky as long as you respect it with decent gear.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #2,459 of 9,326
Really tough choice, but I am going to stick with the HD650.  My brain and its sensitivity to that small treble spike is the reason.  The HD700 does almost everything so right.  Such a pity =\   This thread has been an interesting read though because theyre so polarizing.  hmm maybe Il give them another try tonight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back