Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2,401 of 9,326

If fine detail and space is what you want I would save up to get the HD800. It's like comparing Gordon Ramsey to Mcdonalds. I was absolutely blown away by  HD800's seperation and detail. Outside of the Stax 009 ($4,000) I've yet to hear a headphone do it better. 

Hi Folex

Been there, done that.

The HD800s are a technical wonder, and what’s funny is that I generally gravitate toward clear precise sound, my Dynaudio Special 25s speakers are the most revealing of their line-up and my Bryston electronics; head-amp, CD player and amps are known for their neutrality, but after 3 days of intense listening with the HD800s they just didn’t do it for me.
I was really hoping my initial couple impressions at my local supplier since they came out would change once hooked up to my own set-up with my music, but my decision for choosing the HD700s initially over the HD800s held fast.
Overall I found the HD800s to have an ever so slightly artificial flavor to them compared to the HD700s, which to my ears sound more grounded and natural, this was especially noticeable with violins on Gyorgy Ligeti’s “Chamber Concerto” on Deutsche Grammophon; there was also an oddity, for me, with the sound field, but that could only be a matter of getting used to.
In the end the HD700s drew me into the music, the HD800s did not.

Maybe if the HD700s had the touch and feel of the 800s it would justify their pricing and would receive less criticism, for me I’m very hard pressed to find any fault with the sound quality, no piercing, peeking gritty highs etc, and I continue to scratch my head for those who discover the contrary.
Like all things in life it comes down to preferences and expectations, mine really like the HD700s over the 800s, some do not.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,402 of 9,326

Hi Folex

Been there, done that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-impressions-thread/1920#post_10780673
"Overall I found the HD800s to have an ever so slightly artificial flavor to them compared to the HD700s, which to my ears sound more grounded and natural, this was especially noticeable with violins on Gyorgy Ligeti’s “Chamber Concerto” on Deutsche Grammophon; there was also an oddity, for me, with the sound field, but that could only be a matter of getting used to.
In the end the HD700s drew me into the music, the HD800s did not."

I guess I have to say to each their own. When I put on the HD800's and the Stax009 I was hearing all my songs again for the first time. When I put on the 700 the "new music" disappeared as it had with all the previous headphones I've tried/owned. 

Edit: That was really vague. What I mean is hearing musical note seperation and variations that were normally clustered altogether causing them to sound alike. 

Edit: And to be fair I tried the 700, 800 and 009's on a setup costing over $2,000 and a setup costing under $300. Even on the cheaper setup the differences were there. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,403 of 9,326
My 2 cents.

I haven't had an as addictive set of phones since my LCD-2/WA22 combo.

Something about these gets my toes tapping, gets an emotive response out of me. I can hear texture, but not in a "oh look how great I am at extracting detail" kinda way. It adds to the musical pleasure. I'm not hearing equipment, I'm hearing the music. For once, some of you guys need to stop, and actually feel if your getting involved in the tunes. I'm a creative sole, so my purchases is the quest for the goal of being involved in the music, not the equipment. These phones do exactly that, which for me, is the sonic qualities of the HD700's, plus the superior comfort. Can't wait to get the WA6, that'll complete the picture:) then I'm done:)

I agree with the sentiment here, but I absolutely did not experience this with the HD700.  Something about the odd sound kept pulling me out of the music.  It doesn't help that I got them at the same time as the HD650.  With the HD650 more than any headphone I've owned, I felt that "just one more song" enjoyment with pretty much anything I put on.

I'm looking forward to reading @Evshrug 's impressions of the HD700.  Except for one or two outliers, it seems like the folks who really love the HD700 are ones who haven't heard a lot of mid- or summit-fi cans to compare it to.  Again, I want to be clear that I'm not dissing the HD700 when I say things like that.  I just don't get why they're so expensive when Sennheiser has the HD650 that I find pretty superior subjectively and other companies have cheaper headphones that sound better as well (e.g. HiFiMAN).  Even if you don't agree that those other headphones ARE better, having that basis of comparison will surely highlight the HD700's weaknesses.

EDIT - Morning spelling

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,404 of 9,326
Variety is the spice of life and yes there are better, cheaper, different and more expensive headphones than the HD700s…. but as the saying goes ”if the shoe fits wear it”.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #2,406 of 9,326
Ridiculously comfortable! Earpads feel... Weird to the touch, but the on-ear results are great!
Firm bass, plenty of warmth. Mids not thin/tinny like the DT880 or the even worse HE400. So far treble seems fine. Overall grain is really low! Depth is great! Soundstage is satisfying!

Testing with a pretty cymbal-heavy track, best-coast "boyfriend," doesn't instantly fatigue me, but the distance-reverb plainly is a pretty lousy effect built-in to the track.
Cowboy Junkies "Walking After Midnight" has a great ambiance and has a lot of slow, smokey atmosphere, guitar sounds so cool and silky, but iPad > tube amp (don't have my DAC setup handy) I'm hearing fair sibilance in the the female vocals, yet the harmonica which on other speakers can easily sound shrill doesn't offend here, so surprisingly good and I'm sure it'll be even better with the Bifrost.
Pavillion remix of "Cracks" (some dubstep) sounded cool at first, but unlike less detailed systems I got fatigued halfway through... The electricity stuff was too much.
Went back to cowboy junkies, having fun for a few tracks, but my left ear is starting to feel a little strained, volume's not too high, jury's still out though.

Going to game a little bit.

Overall, gotta get to know this headphone a bit.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,407 of 9,326
Pavillion remix of "Cracks" (some dubstep) sounded cool at first, but unlike less detailed systems I got fatigued halfway through... The electricity stuff was too much.

This one here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VLaXoRRdk

Started to play it in my shop through the speakers but  35 seconds in had to turn it down, so yes I could see this being fairly fatiguing on the 700s or maybe any headphone?

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #2,409 of 9,326
I made it until a few seconds after the drop before it started making my eyeballs bleed with the HP100, which is a pretty mild-mannered headphone.  I suspect that song would be fatiguing even with  HD650...

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,410 of 9,326
  I made it until a few seconds after the drop before it started making my eyeballs bleed with the HP100, which is a pretty mild-mannered headphone.  I suspect that song would be fatiguing even with  HD650...

bigsmile_face.gif
 l could see your eyes bleeding, and you still telling yourself "l won't stop, l have to make it to the end! l promised to give my opinion!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,411 of 9,326
Dec 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,412 of 9,326
Well I specifically went looking for trouble :wink: I even told you guys it was Dubstep!

It sounds cool on the Polk speakers, the impact of the vree! is much less and I like the pipe percussion or whatever it is.

Played a few rounds of Destiny in Crucible with the Bifrost and tube amp, my ears normalized and had a pretty good experience.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,414 of 9,326
Well I specifically went looking for trouble
wink.gif
I even told you guys it was Dubstep!

It sounds cool on the Polk speakers, the impact of the vree! is much less and I like the pipe percussion or whatever it is.

Played a few rounds of Destiny in Crucible with the Bifrost and tube amp, my ears normalized and had a pretty good experience.

The HD700 is pretty damn good for gaming.  I wasn't really getting the same kinds of treble from gaming and the airiness and soundstage lend themselves well to the application.  Not to mention comfort enough for long sessions.  Evs, you should try them with a game like CoD to see how good the positional cues are (Destiny has crap positional cues).  And stream it for me.  :-D

I considered keeping them just for gaming, but it seemed overkill when the Q701's were almost as good for a fraction of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back