Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #2,371 of 9,327
I had to let go of an Audeze LCD-X because of the weight.. the HD800 still feels light on the head, and I had no issues with the weight:) I've bought a JDS Labs C5D again, so it'll be an interesting comparison with the E12.

They maybe a HD800 in my future.. but by then, I think I'll use speakers again (Omega or Hoyt Bedford:)), and keep the HD700's, with a Weston Accosutics Troubadour amp. Handmade here in Australia:) lml

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #2,372 of 9,327
  The sennheiser 700 really confused me. It wasn't great at anything nor was it lacking anywhere. It seems a solid all-around headphone. The problem is at $500-700 I really expected it to excel in some areas. 

To me, it excels in a lot of areas. Crazy soundstage, details, very high quality bass, and amazing mids. I can't imagine how these would sound if I had a proper DAC/amp for them.

.................. I wouldn't pay their original retail price or even half of that, but at the $350 I paid for them, it's an amazing deal. If it wasn't for the treble spikes, I would say these are near perfect headphones for me. 

I strongly suspect that if you'd heard some of the direct competitors to the HD700, you might understand why he says it doesn't excel anywhere.  For example, my HE-4 has bass that puts pretty much any dynamic headphone to shame.  The HD650 has even better mids than the HD700.  Etc.  

Every headphone is a pile of compromises.  ..........

There’s always a blurred line between being entertained by the “heaphones” or ..being “entertained” by the music.
The HD700s for me…. have me listening to the music and I just forget they’re there, if I find I’m being constantly amazed by one specific trait like the amount of base, mid range, staging, treble etc then it’s basically a niche phone, fun but not exactly a neutral all rounder.
The HD600s are also an accomplished all rounder and for those bothered by any treble peaks an excellent choice but out dated technically when directly compared to the HD700s IMHO, which has better extended and defined base, clearer finely focused details and a more coherent sound field and staging.
Are the HD700s going to make everything palatable, no, but some of the current sale pricing does make them an exceptional buy for those times when you want to get the most out of a recording without breaking the bank…….seeing they are close, maybe not in construction but at least in performance to the HD800s.

Bottom line though, if the HD700s do not do it, move on, life’s too short wasting time dissing them and as I mentioned elsewhere if one is stuck between either the HD600s or HD700s…AKG K712s are IMO a formidable alternative.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/11476

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,373 of 9,327
  If they were to drop the price down to $300-$350 for a new HD700 I would buy a pair and be really happy with them. The idea of having a headphone that does well in all genres is appealing, but not at the premium price they are currently charging. 

My thoughts exactly. I picked mine up for 350 and couldn't be happier at that price. 700-1000? No way.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,374 of 9,327

There’s always a blurred line between being entertained by the “heaphones” or ..being “entertained” by the music.
The HD700s for me…. have me listening to the music and I just forget they’re there, if I find I’m being constantly amazed by one specific trait like the amount of base, mid range, staging, treble etc then it’s basically a niche phone, fun but not exactly a neutral all rounder.
The HD600s are also an accomplished all rounder and for those bothered by any treble peaks an excellent choice but out dated technically when directly compared to the HD700s IMHO, which has better extended and defined base, clearer finely focused details and a more coherent sound field and staging.
Are the HD700s going to make everything palatable, no, but some of the current sale pricing does make them an exceptional buy for those times when you want to get the most out of a recording without breaking the bank…….seeing they are close, maybe not in construction but at least in performance to the HD800s.

Bottom line though, if the HD700s do not do it, move on, life’s too short wasting time dissing them and as I mentioned elsewhere if one is stuck between either the HD600s or HD700s…AKG K712s are IMO a formidable alternative.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/11476

Nice summary... l wish l will agree with you soon (l can only try my new pair in Xmas day)... In any case, l have the feeling l will mainly use them for classical and gaming (perhaps movies, too?)...

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,375 of 9,327

Nice summary... l wish l will agree with you soon (l can only try my new pair in Xmas day)... In any case, l have the feeling l will mainly use them for classical and gaming (perhaps movies, too?)...

Well they're great for movies and ....classical so a nice choice and only 2 weeks away till Xmas!

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,376 of 9,327
Ive had the hd700 a few weeks now, so here are a few impessions.

I would sum them up as "They do ALMOST everything awesome." 

The treble spike is annoying but rare.  The best song I could find that illustrates it was Billy Squier-Everybody Wants You.  I had to turn it down than off before 1/4 of the song had finished.

I'm keeping them.  The comfort is spectacular, and as I said it does almost everything awesome.  Super comfortable, I could wear them all day.  At 340 they were an amazing deal, I would be happy at 500 but not a penny more.  Also, they are much more portable than my desktop rig.  I am using them with a:

Nuforce Ido: Not a huge fan, has enough power but the dac is sub par and accentuates the treble spikes
Ipad air 2:  Really does an excellent job both driving and music reproduction.  I could be happy with this until I try a nice tube amp for comparison.
Iphone 6 Plus: Nope.  Not enough power, it seems like there are details missing compared to the other two options.

My normal setup is lcd 2's with mjolnir and a chinese wolfson 8701 balanced dac.  This does EVERYTHING awesome.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,377 of 9,327
  Ive had the hd700 a few weeks now, so here are a few impessions.

I would sum them up as "They do ALMOST everything awesome." 

The treble spike is annoying but rare.  The best song I could find that illustrates it was Billy Squier-Everybody Wants You.  I had to turn it down than off before 1/4 of the song had finished.

I'm keeping them.  The comfort is spectacular, and as I said it does almost everything awesome.  Super comfortable, I could wear them all day.  At 340 they were an amazing deal, I would be happy at 500 but not a penny more.  Also, they are much more portable than my desktop rig.  I am using them with a:

Nuforce Ido: Not a huge fan, has enough power but the dac is sub par and accentuates the treble spikes
Ipad air 2:  Really does an excellent job both driving and music reproduction.  I could be happy with this until I try a nice tube amp for comparison.
Iphone 6 Plus: Nope.  Not enough power, it seems like there are details missing compared to the other two options.

My normal setup is lcd 2's with mjolnir and a chinese wolfson 8701 balanced dac.  This does EVERYTHING awesome.

Great, can't wait to audition mine. 

My wife, surprising me as hell, got me a pair of LCD-2f for Xmas... Yesterday l listened to them as much as l could and, all l can say is: "OMG!!!". There is no doubt those are the best pair of HPs l have heard so far... Let's see how the HD-700 compares to them! (Just to say, l simply couldn't wait until Xmas day having the LCD-2 at home and being alone... My ultra-developed self-discipline failed me yesterday, miserably!!
o2smile.gif
).

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,380 of 9,327

Yes, they'll be amazing for (classical) music, gaming, and movies. HD700s are basically high quality surround sound speakers worn on your head without the need to use software or hardware to artificially produce that surround sound effect. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2,384 of 9,327
  If they were to drop the price down to $300-$350 for a new HD700 I would buy a pair and be really happy with them. The idea of having a headphone that does well in all genres is appealing, but not at the premium price they are currently charging. 

Paid mine 500 and it's in my opinion the right value for these headphones, at its actual higher price I would buy immediately the LCD2f instead (but comfort wise the hd700 are way superior).

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #2,385 of 9,327
  Paid mine 500 and it's in my opinion the right value for these headphones, at its actual higher price I would buy immediately the LCD2f instead (but comfort wise the hd700 are way superior).

I'm basing this on the price point. Sennheiser 650's go for $400 new and you can find them as low as $200 for a good used pair. I personally think the 650's are superior if you like their slightly colored sound (which I do.) The 650 comfort-wise are superior to any pair of headphone I've ever used. The weight, design and pads are comfortable but where they really shines is the sound. They are buttery smooth and I've yet to hear a musical note that I cringed at or felt the slightest bit of listening fatigue while listening to them. Due to this I consider the 700's slightly under the 650's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back