Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,801 of 9,327
Very nice on the price, one of the lowest new prices I've heard for it.  I'd have to agree that I don't think it hits the 1k original price, and the 850 felt like a stretch.  Seeing it for 710 new with prime on Amazon feels good for the sound.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,802 of 9,327

You got it.

I would agree with that. I am a newbie and thought I need a good HP. Sennheiser was the only brand I could think of. I looked at the HD800 and thought are you kidding and eventually started with the HD700.

Hey I like. Not bad as a first HP. I just think it is a bit bright. I have EQ my rig to my taste and I'm really enjoying. However I now have the what if it wasn't bright bug. So I'm in the process of getting a Audeeze LCD3. I will keep both.

Another newbie mistake I have to admit I made was disregarding smaller brands like Hifiman, but I see you're learning from that one by going towards Audeze :)

LCD-3 was good, but I didn't care much for the LCD-2. I'd put LCD-2 on par with HD700.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,803 of 9,327

Another newbie mistake I have to admit I made was disregarding smaller brands like Hifiman, but I see you're learning from that one by going towards Audeze :)

LCD-3 was good, but I didn't care much for the LCD-2. I'd put LCD-2 on par with HD700.

Ooo, haha. It just shows how subjective sound is. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #1,804 of 9,327
Yeah I'm not a fan of the darker sound haha. I have not heard the new Fazor ones though. I heard the sound is more neutral now.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,805 of 9,327

Interesting. I'm working on a deal with a fellow member now for a pair of LCD-3.
Looked hard at HiFiMan. Very put off by some comments from others about build quality. If I'm going to throw my $$ away on HP's I want them to be built well.
wink.gif

I really want something that is down and dirty sounding. Bloated mid range and bass. Couldn't care less about treble. That screams Audeze from what I have read. I have listened to them as well and loved the sound. Listened to HE-6 as well and wasn't impressed.
  Ooo, haha. It just shows how subjective sound is. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah. I agree.

Something that occurs to me is we all have different rates of hearing as well. I did a sweep test on my Home Theater Speakers (I have a state of the art HT room) recently and I heard up to 31K
eek.gif
. That is bloody high for a 44 year old. It might be why I can't stand treble. I hear it where others won't.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,806 of 9,327

Interesting. I'm working on a deal with a fellow member now for a pair of LCD-3.
Looked hard at HiFiMan. Very put off by some comments from others about build quality. If I'm going to throw my $$ away on HP's I want them to be built well.
wink.gif

I really want something that is down and dirty sounding. Bloated mid range and bass. Couldn't care less about treble. That screams Audeze from what I have read. I have listened to them as well and loved the sound. Listened to HE-6 as well and wasn't impressed.

Oh yeah. I agree.

Something that occurs to me is we all have different rates of hearing as well. I did a sweep test on my Home Theater Speakers (I have a state of the art HT room) recently and I heard up to 31K
eek.gif
. That is bloody high for a 44 year old. It might be why I can't stand treble. I hear it where others won't.

Then I'm guessing you're not going to like the HD800s. 
biggrin.gif
 I can swing both ways: HD800s or LCDs. I enjoyed the HE-6 personally. I can only hear up to 17-18khz which is very low for somebody my age - But it's been at that forever since as far back as I can remember, so it's not getting worse or anything. But I can hear bass as well as any normal person.
  Yeah I'm not a fan of the darker sound haha. I have not heard the new Fazor ones though. I heard the sound is more neutral now.

I heard the LCD-X is the most neutral out of the 2, X, and 3.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,807 of 9,327
  Then I'm guessing you're not going to like the HD800s. 
biggrin.gif
 I can swing both ways: HD800s or LCDs. I enjoyed the HE-6 personally. I can only hear up to 17-18khz which is very low for somebody my age - But it's been at that forever since as far back as I can remember, so it's not getting worse or anything. But I can hear bass as well as any normal person.

I tried these HP's in a shop. Along with my HD700.

Audeze LCD 2.2 and 3, Senny HD700 and 800 and HiFiMan H-6. Using a HiFiMan Amp and Woo Audio WA7 (going to get one of those eventually as well).

I thought the HD800 was amazing. A lot better than the HD700 (soundstage again). However not what I desired. LCD 2.2 was on-par with the HD700. HE-6 I dismissed straight away. One listen and I was out. It just didn't excite.
I put on the LCD3 and my grin went ear to ear. Just about fell over with joy. I think that is my dream can.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,808 of 9,327
Does anyone know of a device that I could put in my chain to EQ (roll of high Frequencies) before it meets my amp?

Here is what I use:

iPod Classic in a Arcam drDoc sent coaxial digital to the Oppo HA-1 to the Senny HD700.
CD in Oppo BDP-103D sent optical digital to the Oppo HA-1 to the Senny HD700.
SACD and DVDAudio in Oppo BDP-103D sent analog to the Oppo HA-1 to the Senny HD700.

Is there such a device where I can plug those sources in. EQ then send to the Oppo HA-1 amp? Hardware equalizer????

I would like to change the sound signature on the HA-1 / HD700.

At the moment I'm using the iPod built in EQ and I like what it does. However I would like something for the other sources and better.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,809 of 9,327
I'm very close to ordering the new Lyr 2 for the HD700, but before I do, I'd like to rule out the Mjolnir. Has anyone had any experience with the both amps? Cost wise, with quality tubes for the Lyr, both amps will be similar.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #1,811 of 9,327
Does anyone know of a device that I could put in my chain to EQ (roll of high Frequencies) before it meets my amp?

Here is what I use:

iPod Classic in a Arcam drDoc sent coaxial digital to the Oppo HA-1 to the Senny HD700.
CD in Oppo BDP-103D sent optical digital to the Oppo HA-1 to the Senny HD700.
SACD and DVDAudio in Oppo BDP-103D sent analog to the Oppo HA-1 to the Senny HD700.

Is there such a device where I can plug those sources in. EQ then send to the Oppo HA-1 amp? Hardware equalizer????

I would like to change the sound signature on the HA-1 / HD700.

At the moment I'm using the iPod built in EQ and I like what it does. However I would like something for the other sources and better.

Tube buffer or tube preamp can alter the signature, but your HA-1 looks to be a combined unit so you can't really do that. EQ looks to be your best bet.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,812 of 9,327
  I tried these HP's in a shop. Along with my HD700.

Audeze LCD 2.2 and 3, Senny HD700 and 800 and HiFiMan H-6. Using a HiFiMan Amp and Woo Audio WA7 (going to get one of those eventually as well).

I thought the HD800 was amazing. A lot better than the HD700 (soundstage again). However not what I desired.

Well this is the HD700 appreciation thread and I’m sure the majority of us can unanimously agree the HD800 are technically the better phone but…..for some not what we are/were looking for and for others the 800s are a more than a bit of a stretch financially, even the 700 are for that matter.
For me I wanted a phone that sat somewhere between my HD580/600 and the AKG K701s but most importantly a substitute when I cannot listen to my speakers and the HD700s are a close match tonally and spatially (sound staging) to my Dynaudio Special 25s and so filled the bill perfectly. (The 800 are more akin to listening in an anechoic room)
If I was strictly into headphones the HD800s may have been a better choice and being a audiophile I may still add them to my roster at a later date but not a priority at this time as the HD700 do exactly what I needed them for.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,813 of 9,327
  I'm very close to ordering the new Lyr 2 for the HD700, but before I do, I'd like to rule out the Mjolnir. Has anyone had any experience with the both amps? Cost wise, with quality tubes for the Lyr, both amps will be similar.

For the HD700, definitely, the Lyr is a better choice, IMO.  Cost wise, the Lyr is cheaper, don't forget you need a balanced DAC for the Mjolnir. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back