Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,772 of 9,326
  Hello People,
I recently got a pair of HD700 - driven off a Chord Hugo and they sound great but I have a couple of questions...

1. Break - in, How long? I've been driving them for about 3 days non-stop and they still haven't broken in.. the sound get's better but I still feel the bass especially sounds a bit muffled..? I've seen some people claim they need 300 hours break in - is that true?

2. The head band keeps sliding off my head... I have longish hair and as I walk around the room the headband keeps sliding forward to the point where the headphones can almost fall.. I've never had this problem with other headphones...?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi RoundRound

I’m one of those that have perceived a change in tonal character with in the first few days of use, mostly with regards to the bass. I wouldn’t characterize it as muffled but I would say it became more articulate and extended as I did direct comparisons with my HD580/600s along the way, maybe just a loosening up of the membrane, or my brain?
redface.gif

But a big change from 0 to 300hrs, hmmmmm??, maybe 0-30hrs, maybe.
As for the headband slippage, very possible if your mobile especially using the heavier stock cable; you may want to invest in Sennheiser’s much more compliant and lighter alternative.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Replacement-SENNHEISER-HD212-Pro-Headphones/dp/B008JH9WRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391706015&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd212+cable

or a Microphone clip of some sort

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,773 of 9,326
Hi RoundRound

I’m one of those that have perceived a change in tonal character with in the first few days of use, mostly with regards to the bass. I wouldn’t characterize it as muffled but I would say it became more articulate and extended as I did direct comparisons with my HD580/600s along the way, maybe just a loosening up of the membrane, or my brain?:xf_eek:
But a big change from 0 to 300hrs, hmmmmm??, maybe 0-30hrs, maybe.
As for the headband slippage, very possible if your mobile especially using the heavier stock cable; you may want to invest in Sennheiser’s much more compliant and lighter alternative.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Replacement-SENNHEISER-HD212-Pro-Headphones/dp/B008JH9WRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391706015&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd212+cable

or a Microphone clip of some sort

I agree that the stock cable is too thick. I got both cables off eBay that are on there from some 3rd party: they are the silver ones and the nonsilver ones with red sleeving. I enjoy them both, and the cable is not limiting like the stock cable. As cheap as those ebay cables can be had if you wait out an auction style listing, I suggest you pick one up!

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,774 of 9,326
Thanks guys.

I got the Slappa case, works very well!

Regarding the stock cable, is there a way to make it more compliant? Maybe hang it off somewhere?
I read in reviews the cable i s'unruly' but thought it was some joke...

Thanks.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,775 of 9,326
I braided mine to make it shorter though it still retains the same compliance.
  Thanks guys.

Regarding the stock cable, is there a way to make it more compliant? Maybe hang it off somewhere?

Thanks.

I braided mine to make it shorter though it still retains the same compliance. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,776 of 9,326
Thanks guys.

Thanks.
ebay search for hd700 cable. The $30s and $80s cables I have. The red one for $30s I won on auction listing for $10, and am using it as I type. Love it. Haven't compared to stock or the $80s silver one I also have (won auction for $30). Seller is Low20101020. I think. Note the cheaper red one is better for mobility. The expensive silver one has microphonics when the silver cables to each ear rub one another from head twisting.

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,777 of 9,326
Sadly I have  sold my HD700, it's hard going back to it from LCD-3... But I'm looking to get HD800 later unless something better comes out (HD900?!)  but first an amp to fix my setup to something more reasonable.

So, sorry people, no hard feelings? :wink:

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,778 of 9,326
Hi!

Do you think it would be a little bit naive to connect HD 700 to an Astell Kern AK 100 without amping? I'm looking for very comfortable over ears for portable use, so carrying an amp is excluded.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,779 of 9,326
Hi!

Do you think it would be a little bit naive to connect HD 700 to an Astell Kern AK 100 without amping? I'm looking for very comfortable over ears for portable use, so carrying an amp is excluded.

I don't really think HD700 is that portable though..
But AK100MK2 drives HD700 well at nearing the max volume, but probably not to its full potential.
The normal AK100 would probably struggle abit at max, but still drivable.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #1,780 of 9,326
I don't really think HD700 is that portable though..
But AK100MK2 drives HD700 well at nearing the max volume, but probably not to its full potential.
The normal AK100 would probably struggle abit at max, but still drivable.

Thanks for sharing experience. I just tried HD555 with my AK100 and there was more than enough power to drive them (have not compared specs though). As to portability IMHO none of good quality over ears are really portable if compared to IEMs of earbuds. Another HD700 outside use issue might be poor noise isolation.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #1,781 of 9,326
And that long cord..........being fully open I'd think the external noise would ruin the experience. The comfort is amazing on them tho.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,782 of 9,326
I wouldn't bother with physical burn-in, there's no proof that it makes any significant change in sound. It's more likely people to have "brain burn-in" or just placebo effect.

Id say its a bit of both.
When i bought my HE-400 I couldnt listen to them for over 2 minutes. My head started to hurt from the aggressive treble. After 2 weeks I got used to them. In theory this could be only brain burn in, but when my cousin listened to them a few months later (around 1200 hours of use) she said she only heard more detail and air, but no way the treble was aggressive.
Also Mids sounded like behind a wall the first time I listened to them. Now they feel slightly recessed, but very very little (and I have other headphones to compare).

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,783 of 9,326
Finally got tired of looking at a cheap rocketfish headphone stand I bought a couple years back, especially having something as lovely as the HD700 hanging from it... so I decided to re-purpose a blue candelabra from Ikea I haven't been using into a headphone stand.  Part of this was due to the fact that it did not take much at all to upturn the old stand, which has lead to a couple of falls in the last week, and this candelabra has enough weight in the bass that I could...  well, lets just say I could bring a graphic and bloody end to someone, point being it isn't going to fall over easily.  I should get an actually nice looking headphone stand at some point to compliment these, but for now, I actually like the look.  Plus I can hang my old as dirt Stax SR-40s from them as well.  Anyone have any particular favorites as far as headstands go for the hd700 they could point out?

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,784 of 9,326
  Finally got tired of looking at a cheap rocketfish headphone stand I bought a couple years back, especially having something as lovely as the HD700 hanging from it... so I decided to re-purpose a blue candelabra from Ikea I haven't been using into a headphone stand.  Part of this was due to the fact that it did not take much at all to upturn the old stand, which has lead to a couple of falls in the last week, and this candelabra has enough weight in the bass that I could...  well, lets just say I could bring a graphic and bloody end to someone, point being it isn't going to fall over easily.  I should get an actually nice looking headphone stand at some point to compliment these, but for now, I actually like the look.  Plus I can hang my old as dirt Stax SR-40s from them as well.  Anyone have any particular favorites as far as headstands go for the hd700 they could point out?

Here is what I use (custom made).  It's NZ Rimu.  I still have the headphone stand - but now it holds my T1 and HD600 (HD700 now sold).

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #1,785 of 9,326
^

NZ Rimu. Are you in NZ?

That is where I am.

This whole rack in the pick below is Rimu.

I am new to cans and have started with the Oppo HA-1 and Senny HD700. I'm loving cans however I find the Senny's very bright. I am using heavy EQ to tame the brightness. I will get a dark can later in the year. Audeze LCD2 or a 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back