Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 23, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #6,721 of 6,844
Just to add some background: An HD 660S2 with the HD 650 capsules will sound exactly like an HD 650, since the earpads and the baffle (metal mesh part around the driver) is exactly the same. The same applies vice versa.
You can get a different result by implanting HD 660S2 drivers into the HD 600, since the baffle has less acoustic impedance and you lose some amplitude below 1kHz, which makes the upper mids more forward and less "mellow".
That being said, I don't endorse taking your headphones apart ;^
Not sure about the other fella, but I took a driver from 580 and transplanted into new shell so I can have

I) increased clamp
Ii) new cable

As much as I love 580 it was too loose and the sound was better with tighter clamp. And the old cable is not that good.

I've heard 660s2 and there is no need at all to touch it.

660s is different story

It's somewhat pointless. Yet there are one or two cases where it might make sense for someone who has multiple sets
That makes sense as some people are very fond of the HD580 voicing and headband assemblies are long extinct.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 23, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #6,722 of 6,844
Just to add some background: An HD 660S2 with the HD 650 capsules will sound exactly like an HD 650, since the earpads and the baffle (metal mesh part around the driver) is exactly the same. The same applies vice versa.
You can get a different result by implanting HD 660S2 drivers into the HD 600, since the baffle has less acoustic impedance and you lose some amplitude below 1kHz, which makes the upper mids more forward and less "mellow".
That being said, I don't endorse taking your headphones apart ;^)

Jermo. Our new hero. Please recreate baby Orpheus.

Thank you

May 23, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #6,723 of 6,844
Managed to come across a 600 w black silk capsules. Going to try these with my 660S2 now lol

DSC_0173.JPG

May 24, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #6,724 of 6,844
As an HD600 owner, I was always told the 600s and 650s are more similar than different.

Well, recently the S2s have been my daily drivers. Just the other day I got a really good offer on the 650s that I jumped on. And… I’m having trouble telling those two headphones apart. They are practically identical to my ears. The 650s may be a bit more sharp in the upper mids but that is it. What gives? May be because of what Jermo just explained. Or perhaps I got one of equalspeace’s modded units 😆 it was b-stock

The 600s on the other hand are definitely the odd one out between the three. Admittedly the pads are more worn.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #6,725 of 6,844
As an HD600 owner, I was always told the 600s and 650s are more similar than different.

Well, recently the S2s have been my daily drivers. Just the other day I got a really good offer on the 650s that I jumped on. And… I’m having trouble telling those two headphones apart. They are practically identical to my ears. The 650s may be a bit more sharp in the upper mids but that is it. What gives? May be because of what Jermo just explained. Or perhaps I got one of equalspeace’s modded units 😆 it was b-stock

The 600s on the other hand are definitely the odd one out between the three. Admittedly the pads are more worn.
The HD 660S2 is honestly a modern take on the HD 650. Biggest differences is the upper mids and the bass to my ears. Multiple less obvious differences will become apparent as you listen more. The HD 600 on the other hand is a different animal altogether. The HD 660S1 is also quite different.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #6,726 of 6,844
The HD 660S2 is honestly a modern take on the HD 650. Biggest differences is the upper mids and the bass to my ears. Multiple less obvious differences will become apparent as you listen more. The HD 600 on the other hand is a different animal altogether. The HD 660S1 is also quite different.
Sounds good. Nevertheless, the S2s and 650s are on my desk, and the 600s are in the drawer.

May 24, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #6,727 of 6,844

Pads will affect things but the feelings about how vary. There are those that will argue that worn pads actually sound better. Back on topic, The S2's are similarly voiced with some subtle, but significant differences. While at first glance you might find the bass to be similar, my experience is that the 650 has a bit of a mid bass boost before starting to roll off when compared to the 600 as a benchmark. This gives them what is definitely a warmer sound. The S2 by contrast does not have as much hype in the mid bass but goes down deeper before rolling off. I personally find the S2 to be more "true" to my ears.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 24, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #6,730 of 6,844
What exactly was the recommendation? To use the black silk?

Did the grill swap change anything or merely for more subtle aesthetics?

To use the 600 capsule instead of the 650. He said the 650 capsule or baffle as he put it, would provide no benefit, as the 650 and 600S2 capsules are the same. He then rec'd using the 600 capsule, as they are different.

I took it a step further and used an old black silk 600 capsule as opposed to the current one.

See post #6717

Re the grills, my thought is that each one (660S2, 600, 650) have their own slight impact on the sound. I may be wrong about that and imaging what I'm hearing again. If someone from Senn wants to provide input into this I would luv to have this info

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #6,731 of 6,844
Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #6,732 of 6,844
Just trolling in here but the drivers for these two besides being decades apart are relatively quite different.....

Was referring to the capsule or baffle that houses the drivers. See post #6723 for this pictured..

I am continually surprised at the amount of people with a lot of experience in the hobby that do not understand how these 6 series headphones work. :wink:

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #6,733 of 6,844
Was referring to the capsule or baffle that houses the drivers. See post #6723 for this pictured.
Gotcha, usually the capsule is referring to the driver when mentioning the 600 series.
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 4.54.53 PM.png
Baffle and capsule/driver.
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 4.56.58 PM.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #6,735 of 6,844
Ah ok. This is has been confusing for me in the past since aftermarket sites list the baffle and driver as a capsule. I guess they are just referring to the driver when they do that. Thanks!
It can be especially with units that can be completely disassembled and repaired with parts by the end user, but the baffle is always the surrounding area around the driver, in this case the "capsule". : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back