Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 22, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #6,691 of 6,844
I can't imagine a single person here would be happy or content buying a 660S2 from Amazon knowing that its drivers were removed, put into a 650 housing, then put back into the 660S2 and sent back to be resold (very likely, knowing Amazon, as new). And I think you yourself would pass on such a unit if you had the background knowledge before hitting "Purchase New".

This was one of those examples that solidified my resolve to never buy audio gear from Amazon.

Are you saying that you bought a new 660S2 and moved the drivers again, or did you send back that 660S2 with the 650 drivers after all?

As long as the unit wasn't damaged I wouldn't care. But then I understand the concept of a modular headphone. Returning in like new condition would mean the original drivers were in the headphone, so yes.

May 22, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #6,692 of 6,844
As long as the unit wasn't damaged I wouldn't care. But then I understand the concept of a modular headphone. Returning in like new condition would mean the original drivers were in the headphone, so yes.
And if that person needed warranty work do you think Sennheiser would honour that warranty? I doubt it. Every company will tell you that internal mods void your warranty.

May 22, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #6,693 of 6,844
And if that person needed warranty work do you think Sennheiser would honour that warranty? I doubt it. Every company will tell you that internal mods void your warranty.
I never mess with my headphones.

May 22, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #6,694 of 6,844
Lemme see if I can help people having a hard time understand..

If the cable is removed from the headphone, is the headphone in the same condition? What about the earpads? Is the headphone any different if either are removed and put back? Lol the answer is no.

The drivers are designed to be removed just like the earpads, the grills, or the headband padding or the cable, and doing so carefully does not add any wear/tear to the headphone. I'm sorry to inform people of this. It's just reality lol

I guess this is a reasonable point. Although I'm not completely sure removing a driver and snapping it back in could be described as internal modding.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #6,695 of 6,844
Lemme see if I can help people having a hard time understand..

If the cable is removed from the headphone, is the headphone in the same condition? What about the earpads? Is the headphone any different if the either are removed and put back? Lol the answer is no.

The drivers are designed to be removed just like the earpads, the grills, or the headband padding or the cable, and doing so carefully does not add any wear/tear to the headphone. I'm sorry to inform people of this. It's just reality lol
I doubt that. You are not changing pads or cables, you are soldering in the headphone. That is a STRUCTURAL change. Will Sennheiser notice the change? I don't know. And neither do you. But if they do, I bet they refuse the warranty claim..

May 22, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #6,696 of 6,844
I doubt that. You are not changing pads or cables, you are soldering in the headphone. That is a STRUCTURAL change. Will Sennheiser notice the change? I don't know. And neither do you. But if they do, I bet they refuse the warranty claim..

No one is soldering anything dude. That is not at all how the 6 series system works

Listen the driver pops out of the capsule housing like you'd remove a battery from a flash light lol

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #6,697 of 6,844

It works like this, and anyone thinking they can do this and still return the headphone has some cognitive issues. Just ask Sennheiser if this is reasonable. Ask Amazon. Or please get a single other person here to agree with you.

To be clear, if you're doing this to repair a headphone no longer under warranty or because you plan to keep it, go ahead. But to do this and return the headphone as new is unethical.

As to the other question, did you return the 660S2 with the 650 drivers in it or did you buy a new 660S2?

May 22, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #6,698 of 6,844
This 6 series headphones are completely modular guys. They are meant to be completely disassembled and put back together with absolutely no issues. If one is not all thumbs or drunk this can be accomplished with ease.

It works like this, and anyone thinking they can do this and still return the headphone has some cognitive issues. Just ask Sennheiser if this is reasonable. Ask Amazon. Or please get a single other person here to agree with you.

To be clear, if you're doing this to repair a headphone no longer under warranty or because you plan to keep it, go ahead. But to do this and return the headphone as new is unethical.

As to the other question, did you return the 660S2 with the 650 drivers in it or did you buy a new 660S2?

Maybe I'm a slightly unethical guy then 😄
I answered your question. Read my comments again

And also what's happening in the vid isn't rocket science lol

May 22, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #6,699 of 6,844
@Jermo K
@ericpalonen

Sennheiser guys, does this sound reasonable to you? He bought a 660S2, swapped the drivers to 650 housing, swapped them back, then returned the 660S2 for a full refund as new. He is arguing that, like Lego, this is perfectly fine to do.

May 22, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #6,701 of 6,844
This 6 series headphones are completely modular guys. They are meant to be completely disassembled and put back together with absolutely no issues. If one is not all thumbs or drunk this can be accomplished with ease.
The HD 6xx series is completely modular and easily self-serviceable. One of the few headphones that require no soldering to replace the driver. Other headphones that require no soldering to replace the drivers are the Beyer Pro X series (actually one of the selling points of these headphones), DT 1770/1990 Pro, Amiron Home, Audioquest Nighthawk/Owl, ATH-R70X and likely a few others.

Though taking them out of the capsule can be somewhat risky if you’re not careful as you can potentially dent the driver membrane due to the plastic clips. Though honestly taking them out and putting them back in safely won’t cause any changes and doesn’t modify the structure or functionality in any way.

Warranty concerns is another matter.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #6,702 of 6,844
OK, I guess someone did agree with you. :)

Why any buyer of a new product should have to trust the dexterity of a previous user with such an operation is beyond me. In the video itself we see Thill nearly f-ing it up.

May 22, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #6,703 of 6,844
The HD 6xx series is completely modular and easily self-serviceable. One of the few headphones that require no soldering to replace the driver. Other headphones that require no soldering to replace the drivers are the Beyer Pro X series (actually one of the selling points of these headphones), DT 1770/1990 Pro, Amiron Home, Audioquest Nighthawk/Owl, ATH-R70X and likely a few others.

Though taking them out of the capsule can be somewhat risky if you’re not careful as you can potentially dent the driver membrane due to the plastic clips. Though honestly taking them out and putting them back in safely won’t cause any changes and doesn’t modify the structure or functionality in any way.

This should be more well understood. These headphones were created in the 90s after all..

May 22, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #6,704 of 6,844

Would you buy a 6-series headphone that had this done to it as a new headphone? (if somehow you knew this was done, but not by whom or anything else)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back