Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #5,236 of 6,730
Ιt is a better all rouder.That doesn't mean he should go out and buy it if he has 660S and that was his first audiophile can.He should either invest on a good dac/amp or a dap and if he has that then save and go up like an Arya organic/HE1000 Stealth/Clear e.t.c

S2 makes more sense if you're like us,have higher up cans,already spend money on this hobby/have disposable income,we like senn signature alot and we wanted to see the difference vs S1.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #5,238 of 6,730
i wish the 660s s2 would have had the soundstage of the 109 pro. i think that would made the headphone perfect. the stage of the 109 pro is a huge win for them

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #5,239 of 6,730
I really do not want to know that...lol.
Haha, I don't know why, but I believe you; they had a miserable choice of headphones on the Show (not to mention the choice of music, it's a disgrace)...but I was surprised once I saw The Composer...I tried it...and...unfortunately, I am not competent enough to say that much about them...but I am not impressed at all...they are obviously good, but really, I wouldn't pick them over any of the headphones I have, even cheaper ones that have the character I like...The Composer headphones, in my opinion, lack character...they are accurate...perhaps too accurate...maybe like NDH30??? I was left with the impression that it's not a finished product...design and sonic wised. It looks interesting, very comfortable, and probably with great potential...but not for me...I'd pick S2 before them.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #5,240 of 6,730
i wish the 660s s2 would have had the soundstage of the 109 pro. i think that would made the headphone perfect.
That's the thing about the HD660S2, with direct comparison it can fall short on a number of things but when I have the S2 on "the whole" just works and and what may be missing doesn't come to light, as I've repeated more than a few times, it just sounds correct at what it does. :)

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #5,241 of 6,730
The Composer...I tried it........they are obviously good, but really, I wouldn't pick them over any of the headphones I have,
Well you've got some good phones on hand, I'm thinking, hoping the new Austrian Audio may have some of the AKG K812 traits but in a more consumer friendly package, the K812 and K872 are good, very good but in an analytical way and in small doses
The HD660S2 on the other hand are ready to go all day long. :wink:

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #5,242 of 6,730
That's the thing about the HD660S2, with direct comparison it can fall short on a number of things but when I have the S2 **on "the whole" just works** and and what may be missing doesn't come to light, as I've repeated more than a few times, it just **sounds correct at what it does**. :)
** I agree. These for me are the attributes that keep me coming back - whatever the headphone.

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #5,245 of 6,730
The temperament is in the music, not in the listening chain. If you like it hot, what about a Beyerdynamic T1 first gen? Ringing ears for free....

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #5,246 of 6,730
Hi,
I bought the hd660s last year .... I was wondering if there is a big difference between the 660s and 660s2? It will be an upgrade?
It is worthy upgrade according to my opinion but everything depends on the context, synergy witn your systems and type of music.

For instance, with some of my sources and for house/heavily bass depended music the 660s was problematic and many times i have prefered the 58X between them.

The 660s2 addresses some of these issues so yeah even if it is considered as a small upgrade it can be also considered as a significant one...

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #5,247 of 6,730
The temperament is in the music, not in the listening chain. If you like it hot, what about a Beyerdynamic T1 first gen? Ringing ears for free....
Ah the T1 Gen 1, when Beyer loved making bright headphones. Thankfully they have toned down their treble a lot since then. I can't handle headphones like that.

The 660S2 fixed the problem I had with the HD 6xx series, namely bass reproduction in terms of quality, extension, and quantity. The HD 660S mostly addressed the poorer imaging quality the older pairs had and the S2 further improves it. I think the S2 will become my secondary main headphone, it's shaping up to be the perfect compliment to my T1 Gen 3. But do need to give the S2 a few months to see what my long term impressions are and if I keep enjoying them as a much as I do now or not.

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #5,248 of 6,730
Not everything works with the HD660S2, these live recordings with Anthony Braxton and Richard Teitelbaum that I was listening to sounded really good on the HD820 and really capture the depth and scope of the recording space. Ideally these pieces should be played on a stereo, with my Dynaudio Special 25s one is basically there... but thought I'd give a go on the S2, sadly a rather poor performance overall same for my Neumann NDH30 for that matter. The HD800S were not bad but oddly the closed back brother performed best.
Currently headphones can still only take you so far. :rolling_eyes: :thinking:
Funny I went on a completely different Electronic Music route with the HD820s last night, placed me right at the performance. : )
https://tidal.com/browse/album/282605362

Richard Teitelbaum
https://ra.co/news/72420

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #5,249 of 6,730
The temperament is in the music, not in the listening chain.
?? I was writing about the temperament of people. The subconscious is a powerful engine that people likely ignore and can't control, but the subconscious controls us...but that's another story. Hmm, it seems that I am misunderstood...
Odissey.png

...again :wink:

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #5,250 of 6,730
Currently headphones can still only take you so far. :rolling_eyes: :thinking:
And the beauty is that if one doesn't work, there is another. Speakers are a universe of their own...I was very much into Andrew Jones Speakers on the Show...

It's amusing to me when people give Headphones characteristics of the Speakers...Completely wrong, especially when I read something like....these headphones provide the sound like a pair of high-quality speakers. Then I wondered, did those people ever have experience listening to music on a pair of high-quality speakers???

And you, sir, have a nice pair of speakers to listen to :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back