Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #5,266 of 6,844
HD660S2 is a technical improvement over the whole HD6XX range in terms of imaging,soundstage depth,dynamic range,bass and tightness of sound.Everything sounds more coherent and hi fi.It's fatal flaw is the high mids,especially male vocals are wayy too pushed back :pensive:.HD600 is king here as well as treble extension and would pick as 2nd the 660S1 for vocal.

If you listen to a lot of acoustic the S2 wouldn't be my first choice but it is the better all arounder for sure and highly enjoyable in its own right(could be endgame with SP3000 for many).
The odd thing my first S2, the upper mids were way too pushed back, but it's not the case on this pair, it's only slightly less than my S1 but it's greater dynamics compared to the S1 make it a non issue.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #5,268 of 6,844
Can foctal headphones like the clear be compared with the s2? If you have both of them which do you use the most?
The Clear's (OG) are my favourite headphones. Much more dynamic, much more full and noticeably bassier. To me, the Clear does it all with no weaknesses.
I started with the Elex's and then moved on to the OG Clear's.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #5,269 of 6,844
The Clear's (OG) are my favourite headphones. Much more dynamic, much more full and noticeably bassier. To me, the Clear does it all with no weaknesses.
that is interesting, where would you put the 109? i haven't heard much about for a while. for me the 109 is more fun sounding also the bass is more alive. and i have no issues with lyrics on it. for me specially for instrumental trance the 109 is much more enjoyable

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #5,270 of 6,844
that is interesting, where would you put the 109? i haven't heard much about for a while. for me the 109 is more fun sounding also the bass is more alive. and i have no issues with lyrics on it. for me specially for instrumental trance the 109 is much more enjoyable
I haven't tried the 109's since I got them. The HD660S2's go on tomorrow and probably the 109's after that. I am pumped about the S2's and am also curious about my reaction to the 109's the second time through.
Today is Jazz day on the Grado GH2's and it is Wonderful!

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #5,272 of 6,844
@Shane D, I agree with all you mentioned above. I have both the 660s2 and the clears. However, I listen much more with the 660s2. For me, the Clears are great and much better in many ways. Why are the S2’s getting so much more head time then? For me, they are a lot fun! YMMV indeed! :gs1000smile:

leo

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #5,273 of 6,844
utopia 2022 vs 660s2. Can you tell me what the difference between them is in terms of tuning and technical performance? is the sub bass louder in the utopia?

They both have natural timber, great mid range, they are easy to listen and musical. Nutopia (Utopia 2022) might have better sub bass, but neither of them are bass monsters.

I don't think it is a fair comparison when it comes to technicality. They are pretty far apart in resolution, layering, dynamic range, punch, speed etc. They are pretty far apart in price also. And there are some factors that are hard to measure/describe... like how engaging they sound.

They are both great headphones. I mainly use HD660S2 at my work place and Nutopia at my home.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #5,274 of 6,844
I guess you don't mean that the 660s2 is better than the he-1

If I made such a statement on here... Oh boy... What would happen to me?

No I will not say that. I will be sent to mental asylum.

What I learned is that when you strip away the beauty of it and the hype and the name of it and only focus on the sound, it will have it's quirks also like any other headphones. I will blame my ears and untrained listening first. I am not a professional music producer or musician.

I had a solid 30 mins in quiet room. The tubes were warm as others were using it all day I would assume.

In terms of detail reproduction, it is the pinnacle... The bass surprisingly deep. Mids and treble I will assume are what accuracy should be

And yet it didn't blow me away. I really am not sure why.

I enjoyed certain songs. I didn't like others on it which I do with cheaper headphones. And that surprised me.

In terms of feel it definitely is premium but heavy. It looks beautiful but slightly gimmicky also.

It could possibly be the best ever. But if I said it was the best I ever heard, and it made me cry if be lying. My significant other is a witness (that I did not cry). XD

i am questioning my self, is the he 1 60k good? or just fantastic? but what we all can agree on it is a piece of art

Yes it is a show piece. Stunning. Really weird experience to see it. To listen to it was a great experience and I really appreciated the opportunity, please don't get me wrong.

If I am honest, and this is personal, but I thought for my ears and heart the stax X9k with it's super amp when I first heard it was more emotive.

Anyway it's a weird position to be in to both appreciate the experience and also state that it was not the best I ever heard.

A local head fi friend also heard it and funny enough he liked another TOTL headphone better (though I didn't particularly like it)

I'm happy I heard it, it feels weird in a way through this long journey of planes, trains, and automobiles to hear headphones.... I'm tired

Happy listening everyone

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #5,275 of 6,844
If I made such a statement on here... Oh boy... What would happen to me?

No I will not say that. I will be sent to mental asylum.

What I learned is that when you strip away the beauty of it and the hype and the name of it and only focus on the sound, it will have it's quirks also like any other headphones. I will blame my ears and untrained listening first. I am not a professional music producer or musician.

I had a solid 30 mins in quiet room. The tubes were warm as others were using it all day I would assume.

In terms of detail reproduction, it is the pinnacle... The bass surprisingly deep. Mids and treble I will assume are what accuracy should be

And yet it didn't blow me away. I really am not sure why.

I enjoyed certain songs. I didn't like others on it which I do with cheaper headphones. And that surprised me.

In terms of feel it definitely is premium but heavy. It looks beautiful but slightly gimmicky also.

It could possibly be the best ever. But if I said it was the best I ever heard, and it made me cry if be lying. My significant other is a witness (that I did not cry). XD

Yes it is a show piece. Stunning. Really weird experience to see it. To listen to it was a great experience and I really appreciated the opportunity, please don't get me wrong.

If I am honest, and this is personal, but I thought for my ears and heart the stax X9k with it's super amp when I first heard it was more emotive.

Anyway it's a weird position to be in to both appreciate the experience and also state that it was not the best I ever heard.

A local head fi friend also heard it and funny enough he liked another TOTL headphone better (though I didn't particularly like it)

I'm happy I heard it, it feels weird in a way through this long journey of planes, trains, and automobiles to hear headphones.... I'm tired

Happy listening everyone
I always found it difficult to pinpoint what makes a headphone truly enthrall you into the music and transports you to another world when listening. It’s not always the better headphone that does it. It’s also very personal of course, it just sounds like your own best headphone is something else. Hope I get the chance to the HE-1 and other current flagships in the future, I haven’t heard a truly high end system in a while sadly. Curious what I would end up liking the most of the current cream of the crop. The headphone I heard in the past I view as the best I ever heard was the Sony MDR-R10 which enamored me in a way I haven’t really experienced since. Since there is a canjam closer to my area now I need to make a point to go one of these years and listen to a lot of the new stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #5,276 of 6,844
I always found it difficult to pinpoint what makes a headphone truly enthrall you into the music and transports you to another world when listening. It’s not always the better headphone that does it. It’s also very personal of course, it just sounds like your own best headphone is something else. Hope I get the chance to the HE-1 and other current flagships in the future, I haven’t heard a truly high end system in a while sadly. Curious what I would end up liking the most of the current cream of the crop. The headphone I heard in the past I view as the best I ever heard was the Sony MDR-R10 which enamored me in a way I haven’t really experienced since. Since there is a canjam closer to my area now I need to make a point to go one of these years and listen to a lot of the new stuff.

It's quite evident to me now that personal preferences might not always align to what is deemed the best or most accurate etc.

As an individual changes both physically and psychologically as one ages.

So perhaps with younger ears I might have thought one best only to outgrow it and move onto something completely different.

This hobby is interesting and frustrating and confusing/overwhelming as auditions really are intense dalliances which make you wonder when you return to your own systems.

And I always keep in mind the chains used might not always be the most ideal choices and that testing 4-5 TOTL at a time will not always be like owning them and having long term conclusions.

My approach was always to listen to a few albums and really get to know certain songs and what I like about them so that it was apparent in auditions if they sounded like they should, were enhanced or just sounded weird.

I would imagine that is what keeps us locked in here, that it always seems close and around the corner.... The endgame moment

My goal with the he-1 audition was to know what the best was... So I could try and get that sound perhaps with tweaks with maybe a lesser e-stat or another TOTL

I hope to attend an audio show again soon this month so that always allows a chance to get to try new stuff.

Hope you and everyone here finds their desired sound :D

But always nice to have the 6 series in lineup

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #5,277 of 6,844
I still wonder which headphone is the technical better one? Meze 109 or the s2? For me the s2 seem to be more of a sidegrade singe they sound very different but still they are as clean as the 109. But less airy

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #5,278 of 6,844
Putting these bad boys back on today. Starting with the John Coltrane compliation A Giant Step in Jazz. Sounding Very nice! :L3000:

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #5,279 of 6,844
i say it again. if the s2 had the stage and fully bodied bass of the 109, but kept the rest of the soundsignature it would be a fantastic pair of headphone worth the 600 bucks

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #5,280 of 6,844
@SHAMuuu I have not had the pleasure of the he-1 experience. But I have been able to hear the OG Orpheus at least 10 times...in a quite room with my own music for extended periods (my friend owns one). I confess that I did not cry either, although I did get goosebumps visibly the first few times that I listened to them.

While I LOVE the Orpheus, would I consider making it my only headphone and sell everything else? Well, I'm not sure. Maybe? With the s2 or 650 (love both of these) I rest assured knowing that if either died an early death that I'd just hop over to Amazon and grab another pair. But for me and my budget I'd always worry about something that cost thousands upon thousand of dollars.

But I admit that of all the megabuck headphones that I've had the pleasure to experience the Orpheus remains number one on my list. Even if some miracle happened and I had the chance to own one, I'd still like to have an s2/650 for various reasons. There is something about the price point and bang for the buck with headphones like the s2 that greatly adds to the enjoyment factor for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back