Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #5,296 of 6,844
Oct 19, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #5,297 of 6,844
Oct 20, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #5,299 of 6,844
Hi guys,

Can someone compare HD660S2 with HD58X?

Thanks!

Hi, I have both and this is my opinion: The general sound signature is very similar, same amounts of bass/mids/treble. But the 660S2 is, at least to me, quite obviously better technically. The 660S2's treble is more detailed and natural, especially in vocals and cymbals. The 58X has this slight "roughness" to its upper midrange/low treble, 660S2 does not. Also, I feel like the 660S2 has better bass in the sense that it does not intrude on the midrange like it does on the 58X (which I did not consider a problem when I only had the 58X, but I only started hearing it when comparing the 58X to the 660S2). The bass also sounds more "organic" on the 660S2. Also the 660S2 to me sounds like it's slightly more dynamic and punchy than the 58X. Transients also sound sharper and cleaner on the 660S2. Midrange sounds more natural on the 660S2, I would say, due to the "roughness" the 58X has in the upper high mids, which the 660S2 luckily does not have.

So to me the 660S2 is a clear upgrade to the 58X, which is exactly what I wanted. Same general sound signature, just better technicalities of the sound. Cleaner, more natural and organic sound without the roughness.
What is interesting though, is that my friend, who likes his AKG K702 very much, listened to both 58X and 660S2 and he said that he hears no difference. That was only a 15 minute listening session though, maybe that during a proper, longer session, he would be able to appreciate the improvements in the 660S2.

What is definitely better on the 58X is that their frame does not make any sounds when worn. I have quite a problem with how the plastic that the 660S2's frame is made of makes sounds when I wear them whenever I move my head (music masks this luckily, but I can hear it during silent parts and between songs).

Hope this helps and also that someone else can add their opinion

Edit: little clarification that my friend did not compare the 660S2 to his K702 but to 58X :grin:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #5,300 of 6,844
Today was a different direction. BF2 to Little Dot MK9 to my S2's. And all day was spent with my newest Coltrane collection. A Very nice day indeed! :L3000:

image.jpg
IMG_20231020_162826732~2.jpg

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #5,301 of 6,844
What is definitely better on the 58X is that their frame does not make any sounds when worn. I have quite a problem with how the plastic that the 660S2's frame is made of makes sounds when I wear them whenever I move my head (music masks this luckily, but I can hear it during silent parts and between songs).
This is exactly the opposite with mine. The 660s2 is flawless where the 58X makes noises and it is crappy. The worst frame from all my 6 series headphones.

Something might be wrong with your 660s2. Because i have the 660s as well and is flawless as well.

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #5,302 of 6,844
new single on the 660s 2 on a friday night

it is such a nice easy going headphone which i go back to every time.

and damn what would i give to try out my s2 on a nice tube amp, must sound amazing.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #5,303 of 6,844
This is exactly the opposite with mine. The 660s2 is flawless where the 58X makes noises and it is crappy. The worst frame from all my 6 series headphones.

Something might be wrong with your 660s2. Because i have the 660s as well and is flawless as well.

Yeah I might just have gotten unlucky with the 660S2. Luckily it seems better lately, not sure if the frame is adjusting or my hearing is adjusting to the noises. I'm too lazy to pack them and send them back just because of this...

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #5,304 of 6,844
Hi guys,

Can someone compare HD660S2 with HD58X?

Thanks!
I have them both (along the 6XX, the 660s and the 600) but I cannot do a direct comparison between them because from the moment I bought the 660s2 the 58X have always some aftermarket pads that alter the signature quite significantly.

I have an extra pair of the original new version pads and had alternated them to do direct comparisons between 660s and 58x sometime back in February. But by doing that i almost ruin my aftermarket pads and decide not to do it anymore unless i decide to revert permanently on the original pads.

My opinion is quite different as I considered the old guard (6XX/600) quite different in comparison with the new guard. ( 660s and s2). The 58x sits somewhere between them in terms of sound signature.

This is when everything is viewed inside the 6 series ecosystem and not by considering different headphones like for exame the elex. Then the 6 series seems quite similar.

The old guard is more organic and natural, amazing for vocals with perfect timbre.

The new guard has better dynamics and resolution going to a focal kind of direction but not quite there. Sometimes i find the timbre strange and i can characterise it as plastic ( strangely enough this characterization comes to my mind ...a plastic maybe a bit artificial sound) but technically superior.

The 58X has the 6XX timbre with some of the 660s dynamics (not s2 level) but without this plastic feeling. With dongles and low power sources I even prefer it from 6XX which is quite a fit.

At the end, I am not sure what will be my favourite 6 series headphone but two things are certain:

1. I much prefer the 660s2 from 660s and I find it significantly better
2. Oh god, i love the whole 6 series and I am die hard fan

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #5,306 of 6,844
I have them both (along the 6XX, the 660s and the 600) but I cannot do a direct comparison between them because from the moment I bought the 660s2 the 58X have always some aftermarket pads that alter the signature quite significantly.

I have an extra pair of the original new version pads and had alternated them to do direct comparisons between 660s and 58x sometime back in February. But by doing that i almost ruin my aftermarket pads and decide not to do it anymore unless i decide to revert permanently on the original pads.

My opinion is quite different as I considered the old guard (6XX/600) quite different in comparison with the new guard. ( 660s and s2). The 58x sits somewhere between them in terms of sound signature.

This is when everything is viewed inside the 6 series ecosystem and not by considering different headphones like for exame the elex. Then the 6 series seems quite similar.

The old guard is more organic and natural, amazing for vocals with perfect timbre.

The new guard has better dynamics and resolution going to a focal kind of direction but not quite there. Sometimes i find the timbre strange and i can characterise it as plastic ( strangely enough this characterization comes to my mind ...a plastic maybe a bit artificial sound) but technically superior.

The 58X has the 6XX timbre with some of the 660s dynamics (not s2 level) but without this plastic feeling. With dongles and low power sources I even prefer it from 6XX which is quite a fit.

At the end, I am not sure what will be my favourite 6 series headphone but two things are certain:

1. I much prefer the 660s2 from 660s and I find it significantly better
2. Oh god, i love the whole 6 series and I am die hard fan
I agree I found the old guard quite different than the new guard. The presentation is very different to my ears. The new guard has a tautness to their sound whereas the old guard I found more fluid and relaxed in their presentation. There are times I prefer using the HD 650 and other times I prefer using the HD 660S2. Though overall I do like the 660S2 more.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #5,308 of 6,844
Ever since getting the S2, I've not had any reason to want to go back to the 58X. I suppose if I was traveling and wanted an open-back, the 58X plays nicer with portable gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back