Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 11, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #5,206 of 6,844
On second thought, there might be something...HD600 or HD650...or both are a must-have besides S2.

What is your opinion?
Had a half dozen of either or over the last 20 years and each time sold for the same reason, not too sure why as they do sound correct but they do not maintain my interest. They just lack that little bit of pizzazz, being on the edge, get up and go.. for my preferences, having a similar problem with my recent NDH30 which do bring more to the table, but still either too balanced (if that's possible) and polite. :rolling_eyes: ....YMMV.
Oddly the S2 have a very strong family resemblance but manage to sneak in under the wire. :thinking:

Oct 11, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #5,207 of 6,844
Currently decent pricing on Amazon for the S2 if anyone is interested.

US $419
https://www.amazon.com/SENNHEISER-660S2-Audiophile-Headphones-Transducer/dp/B0BRT1ZN7Q

Can $579.
https://www.amazon.ca/SENNHEISER-660S2-Audiophile-Headphones-Transducer/dp/B0BRT1ZN7Q

UK £ 390.62
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SENNHEISER-660S2-Audiophile-Headphones-Transducer/dp/B0BRT1ZN7Q

Me, I'm cutting the strings, and have one of these coming in today. : )
HD450SE
Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 7.38.36 AM.png

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #5,208 of 6,844
660S2 went as low as 399.95 yesterday, but 419 is still decent.

I’ll have a chance to try these out next week. I couldn’t get along with the original 660S long term as I found the treble to be thin sounding and the mids to be lacking a bit of body, but the S2 could have fixed some things.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #5,209 of 6,844
But for the sake of having something as history/memory worth as a collection...which one would you keep...650 or 600?
Which would be completely different than S2 or 800 and 820?

I will probably try them on show this Saturday.
Me, I'm cutting the strings, and have one of these coming in today. : )
HD450SE
Oh. Great!
I am interested to hear your opinion. I tried a couple of other BTs, and 458BT sound really enjoyable. Luckily, I don't have the urge to compare them with other wired headphones, but they are fun. And comfortable to wear, at least for me. I always want the headband to be wider/flatter, which is not the case here, but it's ok. Pretty lightweight.

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #5,211 of 6,844
Oh. Great!
I am interested to hear your opinion.
Just recently tried some Master and Dynamics MH40, pleasant and interesting looking phone but slightly too small, not sure the Senns will be any better but at less than a 3rd the price with these Amazon Prime deals thought I'd give them a go, not for serious listening though but something to throw on while cooking or house cleaning etc.
I tried a couple of other BTs, and 458BT sound really enjoyable.
Funny I was going to get the 458 off Sennheiser's Outlet, but new HD450SE came up even cheaper on Amazon, same phone though.:sunglasses:

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #5,213 of 6,844
The HD600 has always kept to the straight and narrow while the 650 was added at the time to appease the need for more bass and is also readily available as the HD6XX.
"The HD 600 is the audio purist’s choice for reference playback. An instrument of Sennheiser’s passion for perfect sound, it is globally recognized as the standard for analytical high-fidelity listening - even 20-plus years after its release." : )

With the the HD660S2 I feel they went back to the drawing board after almost 20 years and updated the driver.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #5,214 of 6,844
The HD600 has always kept to the straight and narrow while the 650 was slightly changed at the time to appease the need for more bass and is also readily available as the HD6XX.
"The HD 600 is the audio purist’s choice for reference playback. An instrument of Sennheiser’s passion for perfect sound, it is globally recognized as the standard for analytical high-fidelity listening - even 20-plus years after its release." : )

With the the HD660S2 I feel they went back to the drawing board after almost 20 years and updated the driver.
… and the 300-ohm nominal impedance (vs the 150-ohm value for HD660) brings higher impedance OTL tube h/p/a into the picture … 🙂.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #5,215 of 6,844
The HD600 has always kept to the straight and narrow while the 650 was slightly changed at the time to appease the need for more bass and is also readily available as the HD6XX.

I always felt the earlier models got boring pretty quick. I had the HD600's (X2), HD6XX's (X2), HD58X's and HD660S's. I didn't hate any of them. I didn't dislike any of them. But after a few months, I was left feeling, is that it? Over and over again.

Right now I am cycling through my collection and really enjoying my Grado GH2's. But one day after putting them on I was thinking about what's next in the rotation. It will be the HD660S2's and I am pretty excited about that.

After a few months of ownership, I never felt that way about any previous Senn's.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #5,217 of 6,844
I always felt the earlier models got boring pretty quick. I had the HD600's (X2), HD6XX's (X2), HD58X's and HD660S's. I didn't hate any of them. I didn't dislike any of them. But after a few months, I was left feeling, is that it? Over and over again.

Right now I am cycling through my collection and really enjoying my Grado GH2's. But one day after putting them on I was thinking about what's next in the rotation. It will be the HD660S2's and I am pretty excited about that.

After a few months of ownership, I never felt that way about any previous Senn's.
They do, that's my complaint about the earlier models as well. I find many Senns reserved when it comes to engagement, the S2 is an exception. I use the HD 650 for when I want to relax, good nighttime headphone, the HD 650 also a good headphone to do reading, etc. when listening to. But if I want a warm yet engaging sound, I want the HD 660S2 or the T1.3 as both those nail the warm engaging sound.

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #5,219 of 6,844
Oct 12, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #5,220 of 6,844
And.....they're not too bad
I am glad you liked it. As I would say..they are pretty good :) I really enjoy watching series. Still haven't tried them with music, but there is plenty of music in series or movies, so it seems just fine.
Hm, Bathys, you say...I thought it would be a nice fit for my wife :)

I just found this...one of the best mixes on my list, if not the best...haven't listened to it for 25 years, but I will make up for that time now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• plyr
Back