Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #5,180 of 6,844
I gather the HD 660S2 started development before Sennheiser was acquired by Sonova. I also didn’t hear anything about their creative team being different, I’m sure many of the same people worked on the S2 as previous headphones. Grell left before the Sennheiser consumer division was sold.
As far as I'm aware, development of the 660S2 was primarily lead by Jermo and that team. The same team that brought the 560s to market. The acquisition by Sonova has basically nothing to do with the 660s dev process.

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #5,182 of 6,844
"Not that much sub-bass, bloat in the upper bass region, lack of clarity in treble."

then buy a source worthy of the hd660s2. with this you wrote off that you used a very bad source.
He should recite mantras to the voodoo music gods and buy a silver cable before he should really judge them. He probably also forgot to burn them in for 500 hours.

Oct 6, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #5,183 of 6,844
Trying out the HD 660S2 again on a different system than last time.

Thoughts about its sound profile are about the same, sound profile is like a bit of a mix of the HD 650 and T1.3. But it also sounds much better now than the last time due to a better system. The HD 660S I found more different, the HD 660S's inherent dryness gives it a different impression to me than the HD 660S2. Definite improvement over both the HD 650 and HD 660S and more musical than either. This is the only HD 6xx headphone I found good for basically everything. I don't get the feeling it's lacking in certain genres, with games, or movies/shows like I can with the HD 650 and HD 660S. This makes it a very versatile headphone for me.

IMG_6562.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #5,184 of 6,844
I'm afraid if they release an HD900S version, it would be even more analytical, drier, flatter, more boring, again without a full sub range, like the hd800S. save this post of mine, frame it, cover it with gold, because believe me, I will be right. HD 6xx series sound will never be implemented in 8xx 9xx series.
I am not that sure about that. I think they will not try to just make another variation of the 800S sound. They have asked for their costumers' opinion on this headphone and some conclusions have been recorded. For example there is a known demand for more substantial sub-bass and a little less treble brightness. I think that eventually they will come up with a more natural sounding flagship with more modern sound, a model that most demanding users will acctually like to use without any EQ. They already "corrected" the HD-660S giving the S2 a good dose of the low end that was missing. Other manufacturers of dynamic open headphones try to complete effectively the lower end of the spectrum and also depart from the thin, treble hot sound of older models. Maybe it is wishful thinking but that's what I consider most probable for the near future.

Oct 7, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #5,185 of 6,844
I think they will not try to just make another variation of the 800S sound.
Ditto..
I think that eventually they will come up with a more natural sounding flagship with more modern sound, a model that most demanding users will acctually like to use without any EQ. They already "corrected" the HD-660S giving the S2 a good dose of the low end that was missing.
On all that we can agree. :wink:

Oct 7, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #5,187 of 6,844
Oct 7, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #5,188 of 6,844
And then...all headphones will sound the same in the future :frowning2:
Never happened, never will!
And even if it did happen, there is always ...EQ to change the tonality as much as you like!

Oct 7, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #5,190 of 6,844
Never happened, never will!
And even if it did happen, there is always ...EQ to change the tonality as much as you like!
But that's not the point. That sounds like going to restaurants and bringing your spices because all of a sudden, all the beautiful food you loved became the same, but you got your spices to change it to your liking...not the point.
I like to go to certain restaurants to eat their unique food, which I like, even though some people don't like that same food because of how they make it.
What are perfect headphones anyway? And to whom? Whose opinion counts, of people who like certain things about them or those who dislike the same things?
Not good...I like differences and imperfections.
I am glad I've managed to grab headphones I consider unique and sort of masterpieces...and all with their imperfections. If they change or stop making them, I'll happily have them as they are.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back