Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 13, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #5,221 of 6,723
Hm, Bathys, you say...I thought it would be a nice fit for my wife :)
In my case they were for my Ex, but we still get along. :)

I just found this...one of the best mixes on my list, if not the best...haven't listened to it for 25 years
I was a late starter, actually very late discovering Underworld and the likes, but better late than never.:dt880smile:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/53734688
Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 7.49.53 AM.png

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #5,222 of 6,723
I was a late starter, actually very late discovering Underworld and the likes, but better late than never.:dt880smile:
In early 2000, I started discovering '70s Jazz. I just loved it. So, one day, when I was in a CD shop, looking for some '70s Jazz CDs, I started talking to an employee (perhaps it was the owner). And he was all over it because...only well-educated folks would be interested in that, right? And he loved '70s Jazz, too. So, he was talking and talking, and after all the names he mentioned and after probably 10 minutes of talking, he asked me what artist I would like to listen to...and then I said, I have no idea who are the people you mentioned, but I am so into it and looking for the best in that genre.

Hahaha, you just had to see his reaction...he said, I thought you knew about it. Why did I waste his time? And then he turned around and completely ignored me, like I disgusted him, hahaha.

I bought that day Al Di Meola, Steve Tibbetts, Jan Garbarek and a few others...so absolutely...it's never too late for anything!!!

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #5,224 of 6,723
does anyone here have Focal utopia 2022 and 660 S2? what are the main differences between them?
I do not have the utopia but i have the elex...yes i know...

Nevertheless i personally believe is difficult to express the difference with words i believe is better to try them both and form an opinion for yourself.

Even with the modest elex the difference is substantial in terms of presentation... in sort i love both....but they are vastly different and difficult to express only by words ... IMHO

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #5,226 of 6,723
does anyone here have Focal utopia 2022 and 660 S2? what are the main differences between them?

Funny, I was just about to post about the 660S2 and the Utopia 2022 I heard during a loaner program earlier this year. I don't own the Utopia 2022 (at the moment...), but I did get the chance to compare them to the OG 660S and the rest of the HD600 lineup. My full thoughts can be found in my long review here, but in short, the Utopia 2022 does everything the 600 series does, but much better in certain areas of technical performance. Timbre and tone wise, not so much. I still think the 600 series, and in particular the 600 and 660S2, both have excellent timbre that no other headphone can match. The Utopia, not surprisingly, is better than the 660S2 in the sub bass, hard hitting dynamics, and detail. With that being said, the 660S2 images just as well as the Utopia 2022 in my opinion, even though the soundstage is smaller. In fact, I think the image is taller and more natural on the 660S2 than the Utopia. And the midrange is magic on the 660S2, something the Utopia simply cannot replicate is the glorious Sennheiser mids. Right now I'm running the Clear MG with Utopia pads and EQ to try to get close to the Utopia sound, but the Utopia is better in the mids and treble than the Clear MG.

And I got to be honest, the 660S2 gets like 85-90% of the way to the Utopia, despite being a fraction of the cost.

Here's what I was originally going to say about the 660S2: I took out the 660S2 again this week after a while of not listening to it much, mostly been using the Clear MG and HD600 past few months. But listening to the 660S2 again, it just does things those other two don't. Really natural presentation, kind of feels like I'm listening to a high quality 2-channel speaker setup. I never got that type of sound from the Clear MG, but the Utopia 2022 gave me similar vibes of a good speaker setup. 660S2 is a great compliment to the HD600, as the 600 really puts you right there at the recording studio directly in front of studio monitors. 660S2 is different in that it gives that sense of space and real dynamic impact in the bass you can't get from the HD600. Really good stuff from Sennheiser.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #5,227 of 6,723
To me the HD660S2 is the best over ear headphone that I ever bought. I can listen for hours to all my music genres without ever thinking about making it sound like any other headphone, exchanging pads or cables. Yesterday I listened to Nils Wülkers last album and found that the HD660S2 does drums just so right that it made me smile and stop my working on my computer for a minute or two just to enjoy. That is complimented by a perfect fit on my head tight but super comfy. And all of this balanced 4.4mm out of my Sony WM-1A. A superb device by its own

The HD660S sits now on the gaming PC plugged directly into the Asus motherboard Dolby Atmos for headphone enabled. Played Asassins Creed Mirage for two hours tonight. Great sound. I could use the HD660S2 for the same purpose, but I am too lazy to swap cables so the HD660S will do that job for a very long time I guess.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #5,229 of 6,723
Hi,
I bought the hd660s last year .... I was wondering if there is a big difference between the 660s and 660s2? It will be an upgrade?
There is a difference, but it is subtle. If you are happy with the HD660S, it might not be worth an upgrade to you.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #5,231 of 6,723
I have S2 and tried Utopia and a few other Focals at the Hi-Fi Show today. And to be honest, I was really impressed with Utopia. They are very rich and fast headphones and kick hard. The main difference between the two you asked would be, in my opinion...do you want to spend that much money on Utopia? I am completely amazed by S2, too...but is the music even greater with Utopia...to me, yes...it's impressive.
On the other hand, I tried the Audeze LCD-5 too today...and to be honest, again...I liked the character of LCD-2 more. I wouldn't buy LCD-5...Utopia...hm...yes.

Cheers!

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #5,232 of 6,723
Thank you Shane.
Is the difference just in the bass? or in the 3 ranges?
The deciding factor for me was the bass. Soundwise, overall I would say they are very close to the HD660S.
The big thing for me was going through Many Sennheiser headphones and none forged a lasting relationship with me.

Initially, I didn't find these very bassy. I came in as a skeptic, but these have really grown on me. I will be happily putting these back on tomorrow or Monday and that is a first for me. By that I mean that after a few months I am usually indifferent to all past Senn's.
And I have owned these since June.
I will leave the job to others to describe the sound more proficiently.

But again if you are real happy and satisfied with the S models, you will not find a very different headphone with these.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #5,234 of 6,723
The deciding factor for me was the bass. Soundwise, overall I would say they are very close to the HD660S.
Similar reasons, also the added bass makes the overall sound, if I can say, a bit more organic IMHO.
But again if you are real happy and satisfied with the S models, you will not find a very different headphone with these.
As the saying goes "if it ain't broken don't fix it", for me the S2 fixed a few minor issues I had with the S and therefor makes it a better all rounder, IMHO. :sunglasses:

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #5,235 of 6,723
Similar reasons, also the added bass makes the overall sound, if I can say, a bit more organic IMHO.

As the saying goes "if it ain't broken don't fix it", for me the S2 fixed a few minor issues I had with the S and therefor makes it a better all rounder, IMHO. :sunglasses:
Before my last Senn purchase if someone had asked me what my favourite Senn 'phone was, I would have stated the HD660S. Not enough to keep it in the end, but I thought it was a nice headphone.

The S2 just sweetened it enough to be a keeper. :smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back