Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Aug 14, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #4,711 of 6,519
I just can't justify $2K on an amp right now. I have several items on CAM and if I could move a few of them, maybe... :smile:
Why not get the Chinese version instead? MingDa/Meixing is the OEM for Icon Audio, IIRC

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #4,712 of 6,519
Aug 15, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #4,714 of 6,519
Been going through a lot of works by David Harrow on the S2....he was totally under my radar.
https://tidal.com/browse/artist/4454279

Like his retake on Terry Riley's "In C"
https://tidal.com/browse/album/160699317
Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 12.49.19 PM.png

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #4,715 of 6,519
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #4,716 of 6,519
After recently picking the OG hd800 for a great price (one that I could not refuse), I had to let one headphone go and it came down to the 650 and s2. It was actually a difficult decision and I waffled back and forth for almost a week. When the price of the s2 went back to 500 it made the decision a little easier financially. If the price had remained at 400 I likely would have sold the 650. Anyway, I very much enjoyed the s2 and may reacquire it some day. So I'm out...for now.

Aug 15, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #4,717 of 6,519
After recently picking the OG hd800 for a great price (one that I could not refuse), I had to let one headphone go and it came down to the 650 and s2. It was actually a difficult decision and I waffled back and forth for almost a week. When the price of the s2 went back to 500 it made the decision a little easier financially. If the price had remained at 400 I likely would have sold the 650. Anyway, I very much enjoyed the s2 and may reacquire it some day. So I'm out...for now.
Wise choice.

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #4,718 of 6,519
Totally understood.... "EQ The headphones" is acceptable shorthand around here but I try to chime in every now and then to remind people that you are only making the music sound like what the transducer is already capable of reproducing :) I always appreciate your responses & questions! We are absolutely and actively listening to the community. As comfortable as I am with EQ as a pro audio guy I prefer not to use it on the HiFi side. The synergy is much more important. Cheers!

Yes but there are situations that EQ is important for enjoying audio at all imo, for example I have asymmetrical hearing and my right ear is less sensitive to treble and bass so I get this unusual one sided dominant sound while the vocal mostly remains in the middle. I can easily fix this by compensating with R channel only PEQ using my audiogram as reference. This makes my hearing about 95% balanced and for more enjoyable experience.

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #4,719 of 6,519
Yes but there are situations that EQ is important for enjoying audio at all imo, for example I have asymmetrical hearing and my right ear is less sensitive to treble and bass so I get this unusual one sided dominant sound while the vocal mostly remains in the middle. I can easily fix this by compensating with R channel only PEQ using my audiogram as reference. This makes my hearing about 95% balanced and for more enjoyable experience.
10000% agreed and much respect for using the tools to level up your experience 💪 We love that you have the audiogram handy!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #4,720 of 6,519
Just a silly thought: Maybe you should ask your audiologist if increased sound levels at the less sensitive ear can harm that ear further. Probably not, but it is always better to be sure.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #4,721 of 6,519
Just a silly thought: Maybe you should ask your audiologist if increased sound levels at the less sensitive ear can harm that ear further. Probably not, but it is always better to be sure.

It’s only a 2-3db boost at certain frequencies so not a massive loss but enough to be annoying with headphones but not audible with speakers. I listen under 75db so I’m not concerned.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #4,722 of 6,519
It’s only a 2-3db boost at certain frequencies so not a massive loss but enough to be annoying with headphones but not audible with speakers. I listen under 75db so I’m not concerned.
OK, even a 5 or 10 dB increase cannot be a threat when you listen under 75 dB. Happy listening!

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #4,723 of 6,519
I have severe tinnitus in my left ear, and my doctor advised me to cure it with as loud music as I can bare to listen to...and I must say, it's working pretty well for me :)

Btw, I purchased S2 after I already had 820 and 800s :) I don't plan to let go of any of my Sennheisers. Actually, I got IE200 recently for my walks, and it's pretty damn good paired with Zishan Z4 on balanced.

And some cheerful notes from S-Tone...for Rob :)

Cheers!

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #4,724 of 6,519
I have severe tinnitus in my left ear, and my doctor advised me to cure it with as loud music as I can bare to listen to...and I must say, it's working pretty well for me :)

Btw, I purchased S2 after I already had 820 and 800s :) I don't plan to let go of any of my Sennheisers. Actually, I got IE200 recently for my walks, and it's pretty damn good paired with Zishan Z4 on balanced.

And some cheerful notes from S-Tone...for Rob :)

Cheers!

That is the oddest remedy i've seen for tinnitus. The louder I go, mine gets more and more aggravated, and the hissing intensifies. So yours eases with the loud music?

Yeah I have all the 6 series plus the 820. As much as I'd love to sell some to buy other stuff, I don't think I'd like the other stuff as much. Even the "lowly" HD569 is great to my ears. Ugh speaking of tinnitus, today is a bad day, the hissing and ringing is REALLY loud. I'm getting over a sinus cold though so I'm sure my ears were also infected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back