Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Aug 19, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #4,742 of 6,655
Totally got into this one last night with the S2s..may have been the vintage Bryston B60R helping to keep my attention. : )
https://listen.tidal.com/album/296681736
Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 2.29.20 PM.png

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #4,744 of 6,655
Having never owned any sennheiser but am interested in the hd600 family, how Highly would this be recommended for me if I am into warmer headphones?

Would you recommend something else in the HD6— —
Line up aside from the 660s2?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #4,745 of 6,655
Having never owned any sennheiser but am interested in the hd600 family, how Highly would this be recommended for me if I am into warmer headphones?

Sennheiser's for the most are NOT warm. But you don't want all of your headphones to be warm. Variety is the spice of life.
I went through the whole HD6X line, multiple times and found them pretty boring. I am really enjoying the S2's though.

My favourite headphones are the Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. The iBasso SR2's and HD660S2's are really working their way to my heart. For closed backs, I really enjoy my Focal Radiance's and CFA Cascades.

So, as you can see, I love warm, fun headphones. And my music choices are new rock, classic rock and horn jazz.

Just an opinion for you.:L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #4,746 of 6,655
Sennheiser's for the most are NOT warm. But you don't want all of your headphones to be warm. Variety is the spice of life.
I went through the whole HD6X line, multiple times and found them pretty boring. I am really enjoying the S2'Ss though.

My favourite headphones are the Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. The iBasso SR2's and HD660S2's are really working their way to my heart. For closed backs, I really enjoy my Focal Radiance's and CFA Cascades.

So, as you can see, I love warm, fun headphones. And my music choices are new rock, classic rock and horn jazz.

Just an opinion for you.:L3000:
Thank you for your feedback back.

I mainly stay away from the HD6——s familytree because I heard their sound signature are pretty flat boring like you mentioned and others have said the same too.
Out of all of them, I am most interested in the 660s2 even though i never really liked
the the styling and design of the whole 600 lineup haha... the way a headphone looks really is a factor in my buying decision for me, not just the way they sound.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #4,747 of 6,655
Thank you for your feedback back.

I mainly stay away from the HD6——s familytree because I heard their sound signature are pretty flat boring like you mentioned and others have said the same too.
Out of all of them, I am most interested in the 660s2 even though i never really liked
the the styling and design of the whole 600 lineup haha... the way a headphone looks really is a factor in my buying decision for me, not just the way they sound.
And another thing to consider is comfort. New ones will have some serious clamp for a few weeks, but after that it is long term comfort. They are so light you may even forget your wearing them the odd time. With my earlier adventures in Sennheiser land I always enjoyed the feel, weight and comfort of Sennheiser's.

Aug 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #4,748 of 6,655

The warmest of the series has always been the HD-650. Verified by impressions and measurements everywhere and over time. However this is just a slight elevation of 2-3 dB in the area of 100-300 Hz. It is preferred relatively to the 600 and 660S by those who like a little warmer mid/upper bass. The newer 660S2 brings this warmth again but it is not clear yet by descriptions/measurements if it does it to the same extent as the 650. Note that we are talking about a slight warmth; all headphones in the 6## series are essentially neutral and this is one of the reasons for their legendary status.

An other particularly warm but very capable headphone is the Shure SRH-1540 (closed design) but I think it is more expensive than the HD-650 now. It has a warm, detailed bass below 150 Hz and it is very neutral above that point. Its treble is very unfatiguing. Not for very loud listening though but so are everyone's ears.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,749 of 6,655
I'm a fan of warm/dark headphones and I love the original 660S (thinking of getting the S2 at some point). These headphones are good for treble-sensitive individuals like me. To me, the 660S is the best all-rounder headphone I've ever tried. They sound good with everything. I guess some may interpret that as "flat/boring", but after trying so many headphones with obnoxious treble peaks and recessed mids, these just have a wonderful, lush sound. I haven't tried the S2 to be fair.

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #4,750 of 6,655
I've been listening a lot to my Grado 3000x for awhile. Today, I decided to back to the 660s2. I completely different sound signature than the Grado's but stupendous in its own way. Great soundstage, a very balanced Timbre, maybe a bit light on deep bass, but my L o k i u s (I had to spell it this way to convince my Mac to allow to type what I wanted) I have many many headphones (way too many), but if I had to have only TWO headphones, it would be the 3000x and the 660s2.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #4,751 of 6,655
I've been listening a lot to my Grado 3000x for awhile. Today, I decided to back to the 660s2. I completely different sound signature than the Grado's but stupendous in its own way. Great soundstage, a very balanced Timbre, maybe a bit light on deep bass, but my L o k i u s (I had to spell it this way to convince my Mac to allow to type what I wanted) I have many many headphones (way too many), but if I had to have only TWO headphones, it would be the 3000x and the 660s2.
Your Mac took revenge by not letting you type what you wanted a f t e r Lokius! lol

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #4,752 of 6,655
I'm a fan of warm/dark headphones and I love the original 660S (thinking of getting the S2 at some point). These headphones are good for treble-sensitive individuals like me. To me, the 660S is the best all-rounder headphone I've ever tried. They sound good with everything. I guess some may interpret that as "flat/boring", but after trying so many headphones with obnoxious treble peaks and recessed mids, these just have a wonderful, lush sound. I haven't tried the S2 to be fair.
To my ears, the S2 is going to give you warmth, but the treble is a different experience than the S1--it is faster and smoother in the air band, making it quite easy to digest. The 600 series is generally known for a non-fatiguing signature and likewise the S2 manages to poke out a little more without being tiring. Hope you get to try them, as it sounds like the HD 660S2 would fit like a glove for you.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 22, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #4,755 of 6,655
what cable are you guys using for your s2? stock or something different? thinking about getting a balanced cable soon since i could not find the stock cable anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back