Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jul 16, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #4,261 of 6,502
660S2 can replace the 650 ??

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #4,262 of 6,502
And some say the S2 competes with the Focal Clear at $1999 Can..... : )
Life is complicated. lol
Clears are going for $890 at headphones.com.
Btw don't see the comparison between the clears and s2. Totally different sound signitures. Clears are very dynamic and forward and don't convey a relaxed sound signiture as does the sennheiser house sound.
Btw still love my s1 on my singxer amp. Excellent projection for a sennheiser.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #4,264 of 6,502
In addition to a more pleasant tuning for my library and taste, I feel like there is a subtle technical improvement from the 58X and 6XX. Surprisingly sounds pretty good through the R01 module on my DAP, which isn't a high-powered amp stage. It's early going but this really feels like my new daily driver.

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #4,265 of 6,502
After a good listening session today and about 20 hours of burn in (I know it's not a ton), I think I'm gonna return my pair. Nothing against the sound, I actually really love it. It's just that my Auteur Classic and Aeolus do what they do, but better. Compared with my 6XX, the sound is less intimate, but more punchy, which my Auteur Classics already do so well. And the upper midrange being pulled back is nice, but on tracks where I find the midrange too forward, the Aeolus bests them for the "fun" factor.

And of course the 6XX sound is so unique, I just don't think anything will convince me to let them go. And after a nice quiet A/B comparison between the two at home, I agree with a few reviewers that the detail retrieval doesn't seem to be too much better on the 660S2. It's more that the frequency response and delivery of sound are done a little differently. The 6XX's also seem to scale much better with my tube amp (and open up to a much larger stage) than the 600S2's do, which sound a little too closed in no matter what I plug them into.

If I didn't have either ZMF or a crazy tube amp, I'd be super happy with these and a pair of HD 600's as my main 3 pairs of headphones. But as it stands, they're just a bit redundant in my collection.

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #4,266 of 6,502
After a good listening session today and about 20 hours of burn in (I know it's not a ton), I think I'm gonna return my pair. Nothing against the sound, I actually really love it. It's just that my Auteur Classic and Aeolus do what they do, but better. Compared with my 6XX, the sound is less intimate, but more punchy, which my Auteur Classics already do so well. And the upper midrange being pulled back is nice, but on tracks where I find the midrange too forward, the Aeolus bests them for the "fun" factor.

And of course the 6XX sound is so unique, I just don't think anything will convince me to let them go. And after a nice quiet A/B comparison between the two at home, I agree with a few reviewers that the detail retrieval doesn't seem to be too much better on the 660S2. It's more that the frequency response and delivery of sound are done a little differently. The 6XX's also seem to scale much better with my tube amp (and open up to a much larger stage) than the 600S2's do, which sound a little too closed in no matter what I plug them into.

If I didn't have either ZMF or a crazy tube amp, I'd be super happy with these and a pair of HD 600's as my main 3 pairs of headphones. But as it stands, they're just a bit redundant in my collection.
Have you tried the original 660S? They might be a better compliment to your ZMFs vs the 6xx or 660S2.

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #4,267 of 6,502
Have you tried the original 660S? They might be a better compliment to your ZMFs vs the 6xx or 660S2.
I used to own the 660S, but it was a long time ago. I remember feeling they were a little too dark for my liking. I was hoping the 660S2 would be my main classical guitar headphones, and they do seem to do a little better than my Auteurs as a tonal reference. But I may have to go back to the HD 600's, as they were the only pair of headphones that got classical guitar timbre spot on. I'm a classical guitarist if that wasn't clear haha

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #4,268 of 6,502
I used to own the 660S, but it was a long time ago. I remember feeling they were a little too dark for my liking. I was hoping the 660S2 would be my main classical guitar headphones, and they do seem to do a little better than my Auteurs as a tonal reference. But I may have to go back to the HD 600's, as they were the only pair of headphones that got classical guitar timbre spot on. I'm a classical guitarist if that wasn't clear haha
With the new pads, the 660S are definitely less dark. That said, for your use case the HD 600 is perfect!

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #4,269 of 6,502
is it just more or is the S2 way more detailed compared to my meze 109 pro? i feel like i hear much more in the music than i do with the mezes. i am sad that i wasted 800 bucks on what to seems to be technical worse then the s2. but the build quality on the mezes is amazing i give them credit for that. but the sound is just not for me i belive
also the insane vocal perfomance of the s2 is what always makes me going back to the s2. i am so attached to them now

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #4,270 of 6,502
I received my S2's Friday. I first listened to them a bit using a GE 5814 tubed XDuoo TA-10 I've had for several years. I know and like the rolled off top end. The mids are friendlier to my ears than many other combos too. That said, the amp simply doesn't do these S2's justice.

I switched to a Topping ESS 9038 dac feeding a Monolith TX AAA amp balanced out and Wow! I told my wife "These are obviously fakes. No 600 series headphones sound this detailed and full bodied." She thought I was serious! Then the smile came to my face.

The Dac has 3 filter settings with 1: (fast roll off linear) and 3: (fast roll off minimum) being most used. Most of my other 600 series cans definitely sound better to my ears with F3. The S2, I don't know? They sound great on the default F1.

I had the first edition HD660's and just couldn't love them. To my ears the original 660's just don't sound $250 different/better than my HD58's.

I'm pretty much a hardcore HD650 guy. I know the new "Wow" factor hasn't worn off either, but still have to admit these S2's are quite impressive. These simply don't sound like an evolution of the 600 family, more of a revolution. Note: They don't remind me of the HD58's at all.

Jul 17, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #4,272 of 6,502
I'm so sick of Sennheiser just sitting out of the game.

I really wanted to give the S2's some love, but... They don't deserve any. I'm sorry. This isn't a new headphone. It's a (very slightly) different EQ. Again.

I have a DAC that I can EQ. I don't need Sennheiser to continue producing the exact same headphone they have for literally 21 years, each with slightly different EQ. Frankly, I don't know who does need that. I mean, I know some people are unreasonably against EQing anything, but owning a different headphone for every possible EQ solution within a very, very narrow sound signature seems like taking things too far.

I love the HD6-- series. But like most audiophiles, I already have one. Because again, it's been around nearly two thirds of my time on this planet thus far.

If Sennheiser wants to produce an heir to the HD6-- series with "deep, powerful sub bass", great. Do it. I know you can produce deep powerful sub bass, because Neumann engineers did it in the NDH 30 with ****ing 560 drivers.

Get off the bench and back into the game, Sennheiser.

DISCLAIMER FOR THOSE WHO READ THIS AND WANT TO SKIN ME ALIVE:

Am I saying that the HD660S2 a bad headphone? No. Absolutely not. If listened to in a vacuum out of time and space, without the benefit of hearing any of the other HD6-- series offerings, it's an amazing headphone. But such a vacuum doesn't exist, and the HD600 is a near-identically amazing headphone, and it was released more than two decades ago.

My unsolicited advice to anyone who doesn't have an HD6-- series headphone? Absolutely get one. It's a venerable staple, and an almost required addition to anybody's collection... Particularly since some variants can be had for under $200 these days. Give each of them a listen and pick the particular (very) slightly different flavor you like. Or conversely, get whichever is cheapest and EQ it.

But if you are one of the Sennheiser HD6-- series faithful, someone who has been waiting for a true successor with modern low frequency capabilities? No, the 660S2 ain't it. Again.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #4,274 of 6,502
I'm so sick of Sennheiser just sitting out of the game.

I really wanted to give the S2's some love, but... They don't deserve any. I'm sorry. This isn't a new headphone. It's a (very slightly) different EQ. Again.

I have a DAC that I can EQ. I don't need Sennheiser to continue producing the exact same headphone they have for literally 21 years, each with slightly different EQ. Frankly, I don't know who does need that. I mean, I know some people are unreasonably against EQing anything, but owning a different headphone for every possible EQ solution within a very, very narrow sound signature seems like taking things too far.

I love the HD6-- series. But like most audiophiles, I already have one. Because again, it's been around nearly two thirds of my time on this planet thus far.

If Sennheiser wants to produce an heir to the HD6-- series with "deep, powerful sub bass", great. Do it. I know you can produce deep powerful sub bass, because Neumann engineers did it in the NDH 30 with ****ing 560 drivers.

Get off the bench and back into the game, Sennheiser.

DISCLAIMER FOR THOSE WHO READ THIS AND WANT TO SKIN ME ALIVE:

Am I saying that the HD660S2 a bad headphone? No. Absolutely not. If listened to in a vacuum out of time and space, without the benefit of hearing any of the other HD6-- series offerings, it's an amazing headphone. But such a vacuum doesn't exist, and the HD600 is a near-identically amazing headphone, and it was released more than two decades ago.

My unsolicited advice to anyone who doesn't have an HD6-- series headphone? Absolutely get one. It's a venerable staple, and an almost required addition to anybody's collection... Particularly since some variants can be had for under $200 these days. Give each of them a listen and pick the particular (very) slightly different flavor you like. Or conversely, get whichever is cheapest and EQ it.

But if you are one of the Sennheiser HD6-- series faithful, someone who has been waiting for a true successor with modern low frequency capabilities? No, the 660S2 ain't it. Again.

Yesterday morning I said the same thing to my wife about the 600 family of cans. My statement was more " Sennheiser takes basically the same plastic housing, ear pads, etc they've been using for decades and gets this much change in sound."

The difference though, I was complaining about the cost of replacement parts. More than $40 for the same pads they've used for years! I believe they've recovered their R & D. Also the balanced cable, with 4.4 Pent connector @ 20 times the cost of the standard single ended connector type. I'm betting they're exactly the same enamel coated cables in both.

I went on to say,
"While my ears are Sennheiser tuned, my pocketbook ain't. These prices on inexpensively made long term production common replacement items are a rip off, plain and simple.
$239 for for a $10 P cable. I understand business. If the market will bare it, why lower their prices. FWIW, I'd be ashamed to ask such prices. It's an insult to our intelligence."

I've re-terminated the standard $10 10' single ended cables with 4 pin XLR. Other than the wires being tiny and removing the enamel coating it's a piece of cake.

The ear pads are a different story. Until unboxing the new cans I didn't realize just how flattened my older pads had become. I have yet to find an aftermarket pad that doesn't effect the sound reproduction. If it changes the sound, it's not what I'm looking for.

Jul 18, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #4,275 of 6,502
i just wish the meze 109 pro had the same good vocal perfomance as my S2 have. meze needs to take a step up there. i start to belive the s2s will be my forever cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back