Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 24, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #3,961 of 6,500
Alright, just to throw this in here after having the pleasure of listening to the 660S2's for weeks now, all I can say is wow. Finally after searching for such a long time it feels like the search has ended at least for a good while for now as these make me forget I'm wearing headphones - Or let me better phrase, of course I feel them on my head still and all despite great comfort, but I still forget where the music is coming from because it's just all that, Music. The Music comes through so beautifully and it feels like it gets all the chance to breathe and show its minute details hidden in those magic minutes. :)

Sure they could perhaps have a touch more sub-bass to my taste and whatever, but nothing beats those intimate vocals and just overall how they sound, how they are balanced. Good job Sennheiser, thank you for this great pair!

May 24, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #3,962 of 6,500
Just got my HD660S2 from BestBuy. Try it with my old shanling M6. I don't have golden ear and this is my first open back cans, so far love it. :)
Quick questions, any recommendation of ear pad and hard case for this?
this case works well for my 6 series Sennheisers. https://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Full-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

as for ear pads is there something you dislike about the stock set? I have not come across any aftermarket ear pads for the 6 series that doesn't change the frequency response at least a bit, and usually for the worst. sonically, those stock pads are probably your best bet unless you want to change the sound signature.

May 24, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #3,963 of 6,500
Just got my HD660S2 from BestBuy. Try it with my old shanling M6. I don't have golden ear and this is my first open back cans, so far love it. :)
Where you based. If in UK. A good seller on eBay sells one which I have. About £14... I'm hoping I have the photo on this tablet so I can add it.

May 24, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #3,964 of 6,500
Yes this one if in UK £14.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302_221105_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230302_221105_eBay.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #3,965 of 6,500
this case works well for my 6 series Sennheisers. https://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Full-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

as for ear pads is there something you dislike about the stock set? I have not come across any aftermarket ear pads for the 6 series that doesn't change the frequency response at least a bit, and usually for the worst. sonically, those stock pads are probably your best bet unless you want to change the sound signature.
Thanks for the reply.
Nothing againts the stock ear pad. Want to find a spare set if the existing is dirty or damage.

May 24, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #3,967 of 6,500
I am in US. Do you have a name of the product?
Hi there, have a look at my other post with a pic. You should be able to find out from there. But this is a UK seller . Probably no good to you.

May 25, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #3,969 of 6,500
May 25, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #3,970 of 6,500
May 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #3,972 of 6,500
May 25, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #3,973 of 6,500
I just play with the new HD660s2 with my shangling M6 gen 1 for few days. I listen to mostly female vocal such as Lana Del Rey, Lorde, etc (Don't judge :)).
So far the sounds is clean. But not sure it is my imagination, it sounds like the singer is singing very near and just beside my ears. Also it kind of a tad missing some "sweetness" in the femal vocal. Not sure how to describe it, but my JVC HA-FW01 sounds more "sweet" :)

Questions:
1. Any EQ app or EQ settings that recommend for female vocal? Currently using Hiby app.
2. I am wondering is it because my shangling M6 is not able to power it. So thinking of another DAP. currently looking at Sony ZX-707 (Japan Version), Hiby R6 Pro II or FIIO M15s. What do you guy thinks of these DAPs? will it change the tonality of HD660s2? Any other DAP recommended (may be ibasson or some sort), budget below 1.5K?

Thanks.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #3,974 of 6,500
Listened to my speakers almost exclusively the last 2 months and decided to put on the 660S2 once again with Yosi Horikawa as the preferred artist for tonight's listen. I instantly realized I missed these quite a bit, the way the music simply envelops around you like soft waves on the shore.

No critical thinking, just enjoying the music for what it is, everything in balance like ying and yang. For pure musical engagement/enjoyment it is hard to think of a pair of cans that do it better. :)

May 26, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #3,975 of 6,500
Got my 660S2 last night and had my introductory listen. I took them for a spin on my JDS Element 3 and mostly compared with the 6XX. I mostly listened to some Lofi, EDM, and Hip-Hop since those are my favorite genres. My overall goal was to find a worthy replacement to my DT1990 as a daily driver when my ZMF headphones become a bit too cumbersome. I chose the 6XX or 660S2 as replacements because they're comfortable, reliable, and easy to listen to. I need to narrow down between these two and I was hoping that the S2 provides more clarity and better imaging than the 6XX to rival the DT1990. Here were my thoughts from the first listen:
  • The S2 has more clarity and detail than the 6XX, but it's slight.
  • S2 has more bass definition, but also slight. It did however sound much more lively and fun.
  • Although FR shows less treble with S2 than 6XX, I swear I heard more treble on the S2. Might just be the increased details.
  • No grating noises in the treble, just like 6XX, which I love and the primary reason I was looking to get the S2 or the 6XX to replace my DT1990 which can be grating. Certain songs definitely make me wince with the DT1990 and I have none of those issues with the 6XX or S2.
  • Vocals were great on both 6XX and S2 and honestly both are better than DT1990. This is expected due to Sennheiser's amazing mids.
  • Imaging appears to be strong for the S2; I played some Counter-Strike and had good positional queues that appear to be similar to the DT1990.
  • Imaging in music also appeared to be similar to the DT1990 providing good direction and layering. 6XX was a noticeable step down in imaging from the other two. If I were to rate them, I'd say approximately DT1990 - 9.5, S2 - 9, 6XX - 7...
  • Soundstage is about equal to the 6XX, which is pretty tight. I used to care more about this, but after owning the HD800s for a little while and hearing the king of soundstage, I sort of don't need it as much as I figured. I think it's nice, but not as important as other features.
  • Comfort is good. The band is a bit tight, even tighter than the 6XX. This will wear down over time though. The pads are comfy. The weight is great, especially considering I am used to DT1990 and ZMF headphones. Goes a long way for daily drivers :).
Overall I'm very happy with the S2 thus far! I think it's better than the 6XX, but only a bit better. The 6XX, for the price, is kind of incredible, but I'm a picky person and I know I would be upset with myself if I didn't just take the one I like more. I got the 6XX for $200 and the S2 for $500. I can sell the DT1990 for ~$350, and at this point I'm thinking I'll keep the S2, return the 6XX, and sell the DT1990.

Tonight I'm going to test further using my Bifrost 2 (OG) and Quicksilver headamp and have tubes come into the equation. If anything, I heard the Senn 6X0 series gets even better on the tubes, so I expect them to pull away from the DT1990 even further.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back