Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #3,046 of 6,557
@Mike F @headstef I think the point being made here is that the community arrived pretty early on at a consensus that the HD-660S2 doesn't sound like the HD-600, like a new iteration of it. It's not the "new" HD-600. Sennheiser doesn't see it that way, users don't see it that way.

So a headphone that purportedly does sound like the HD-600, according to its few but fanatical owners :), should not appear here with the frequency that it does as though it's in competition with the 660S2 somehow.
That's fine, but we are not the only people to mention the unmentionable on this thread. There have been many posts now about the S2 vs the NDH 30 from people who have both. So, is the objection the mention of the NDH 30, or just the fact that we don't (at the moment) have the S2? You may or may not remember my contributions to the 660S thread. I was there reading and writing for months, gaining impressions, asking and pushing for answers to questions etc, and eventually I bought the headphone. And liked it. But, by then it's sound was no surprise. That's what I come here for. Yes, this is a little different, but I can only tell you that my intentions are sincere and my experience is plenty. Take my posts as you will. Or ignore them.....

BUT as @headstef said;

None of all this last posts would have been written here if CaptainFantastic had kindly tolerated a sincere question to an experienced user of other flagships (sebiambrus).

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #3,049 of 6,557
It's probably only a matter of time (see my above post). And then I will come back here and give a detailed comparison between the HD660S2 and the NDH 30.

And THEN what will you say or do......! :wink:

Then I'd say you're more than qualified and encouraged to do so. But until then, there isn't much contribution by those with no S2 experience littering every single page of the thread with rants about random other headphones.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #3,050 of 6,557
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #3,051 of 6,557
It's probably only a matter of time (see my above post). And then I will come back here and give a detailed comparison between the HD660S2 and the NDH 30.

And THEN what will you say or do......! :wink:

You're being that guy Mike. Don't be that guy ha

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #3,053 of 6,557
What I find kind of hilarious about this "rift" between users who think comparisons to the NDH30 belong here vs those who don't, is that collectively we've spent hundreds of hours and written many dozens of posts debating this point, instead of discussing any headphone at all. How is that more relevant to the 660S2, this constant rehashing of "rules" about what belongs in a thread, when direct comparisons to a very similar headphone are not allowed?

Also, I love my NDH30, LOL

Also, also: I've decided that in order to burn in my brain, I'm going to spend the next few days with my 660S2 exclusively, and avoid the neurotic swapping back and forth. I really want to get super well acquainted with the S2 before I write any more off-the-cuff impressions. My feelings are still evolving. And headphone impressions are slippery, elusive, mushy things, and so very dependent on... well... mood for starters. I had an amazing sesh with the S2 last night, which started me second guessing some of the things I had reported previously about bass bloat and vocals sounding off to me.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #3,054 of 6,557
Then I'd say you're more than qualified and encouraged to do so. But until then, there isn't much contribution by those with no S2 experience littering every single page of the thread with rants about random other headphones.
I’m not sure any of my posts would qualify as rants, and in fact I’ve not mentioned the unmentionable for a while. I also don’t think I’ve made any comments comparing the S2 and 30 - only between the 30 and all of the other sixes. And BTW almost everything that’s being said about the S2 was also said about the S1 - just go back and check the 660S thread, so you will forgive me if I suspect that (as all the pro reviewers have said) there isn’t a radical difference, hence my comparisons to the six series in general. However I will try to refrain from upsetting anyone by mentioning the Neumann again until I get the S2!

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #3,056 of 6,557
In my opinion, Sennheiser might have caused some confusion with the naming of their headphones as the HD660S2. I've noticed that some people who are more into "studio headphones" have provided negative feedback and compared them to the HD600 or NDH 30, even though the 660S2 is not specifically designed for studio use.

Personally, I find that I don't like studio headphones much, so the 660S2 is a refreshing change for me. I've had it for about a month now, and I can honestly say it's my co-favorite Sennheiser headphone with the HD6XX.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #3,057 of 6,557
Just received my perforated lambskin ear pads for the HD660S2...Still early but they do appear to make the overall sound just a little crisper (could be all psychological, fuzzy vs smooth) , less warm, edging in the direction of the HD800S which still hold the upper hand in-terms of staging, definition and overall technicalities.

Slighter thinner than stock which could affect staging.
IMG_7103.JPG

Not being a fan of velour pads I do appreciate the feel and comfort
IMG_7105.JPG

And now I have 3 Senns in Black Leather. :sunglasses:
IMG_7108.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #3,058 of 6,557
after 2 day non stop listening , i can make some first impressions;
Thanks for your detailed observations.

After owning almost all TOTL hp and almost all mid fi HP . IMHO this HD660S2 sound is the most close to lifelike sound presentation. It is a totally natural sound for my ears,
It might be the slightly warmer, intimate character devoid of sibilance, and therefor sounds correct so that the illusion is not interrupted which sometimes happens with the HD800S .

.......It is a much more speedy driver than the older HD6 series. I think the transient speed almost reaches HD800 levels which gives a nice flow to the sound. The whole freq spectrum is super clear but it does not have spikes for my ear . Honestly this is the first pair of HP which I used 6+hour sitting in a row without getting ear fatigue. So tonality is spot on.
That I can totally agree on

.........Technical vise I hear all details but not as spread out like the hd800 and not as micro details but for listening music and NOT analyzing the HD660S2 gives much better listening experience .
ditto...except I feel the the HD800S still has slightly more detail so that imaging has slightly more 3 dimensional : )

hd600: Imho the HD660S2 improves everything for me TONALITY TOO. The hd660S2 has better speed, more details, more slam, more transparency , better soundstage, better depth...

HD650: same for sound.
:thumbsup:

(maybe the revieves are deaf or not listen lifelike music i do not know, if they say that the HD660S2 is not a step up from the existing hd6 lineup...))
:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #3,059 of 6,557
Don’t worry, if and when I get the S2 I will give a fair comparison. I’ll probably also keep it anyway as I have all the rest…… 😉

When you get the 660S2, if you're feeling brave pop that S2 driver into one of your 650s ha

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #3,060 of 6,557

Users who are viewing this thread

Back