Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 12, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #3,316 of 6,502
Just seen on the UK HotUKDeals site that Sennheiser are selling refurbished HD660s for. £270.
I got mine brand new for CAD$399 shortly after the S2 launched, and now see the S1 has gone back up over $600!

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #3,317 of 6,502
Times have changed and it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the lot...
When I bought the original HD800 back in 2014 I found I actually preferred the HD700 and was able to return them, like new of course.
No such option now .......
Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 3.12.15 PM.png
And with Amazon you never know what you may receive on their Warehouse deals due to unscrupulous buyers, once ordered a pair of HD650s and the HD650 box contained one of Sennheiser lower $70 models... : (

And I also see sometimes on Amazon UK, headphones deals that may or may not come with pads. ?????? lol
Ha!!!! The responsible person inspecting the package pre ship, was smoking something at lunch break!!!

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #3,318 of 6,502
This track on the S2 is really quite beautiful. The lush, syrupy reverb tails on the guitar tracks and vocals really floats my boat. I'm loving this mix, with the vocal right up front, and tons of depth, so nicely layered. Find a high-resolution version, and not this crappy YT vid.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #3,319 of 6,502
This track on the S2 is really quite beautiful. The lush, syrupy reverb tails on the guitar tracks and vocals really floats my boat. I'm loving this mix, with the vocal right up front, and tons of depth, so nicely layered. Find a high-resolution version, and not this crappy YT vid.

Great track, sounded delicious and spacious with my HD800s 👍

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #3,320 of 6,502
Two fantastic headphone amplifiers for HD-660-S2 ….!!
19317D90-7BBF-4CB8-B6E0-9EED8BDEF04E.jpeg
[ Woo Audio WA3 (OTL): Tung-Sol 5998, pair RFT ECC81 ‘foil getter’; Liquid Platinum: pair Sylvania ‘long plate’ 12AU7. ] Extraordinarily musical & natural performances by each pairing. My favourite here is WA3.

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #3,321 of 6,502
Many head-fiers appear to be computer based and like tweaking to their hearts content, but they are tweaking, EQing the signal to the amp/headphones and not the headphones themselves, which are an electrical "mechanical" devise and much like using Photoshop for images when one enhances the original image

About your comparison with photoshop; if the image is fine by itself and the pc monitor is perfectly calibrated, then enhancing is indeed pointless. It doesn't get any better.
Headphones however, unlike good pc monitors, aren't perfectly calibrated (manufacturers try to follow - most often - the Harman curve but fail more or less because of driver- and other limitations).
Parametric EQ'ing is just calibrating the headphone to the Harman curve.

Funny example: look here wat Amir of ASR did to a 9 dollar Sony headphone:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/9-headphone-review-sony-mdr-zx110.19484/

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #3,322 of 6,502
Well, it seems that accuracy and naturalness lovers will soon have another headphone to talk (or dispute) about, besides the HD-660S2 and the NDH 30 cousins:
A new open back, reference from SONY !!! MDR-MV1, challenging both at only $ 400.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-mv1.967749/
https://pro.sony/en_GB/products/headphones/mdr-mv1

Sony make bold claims for high precision, among them:
"Accurate reproduction of the spatial information of the sound source with carefully tuned open back acoustic structure to support mixing and mastering of both spatial and stereo sounds with High-Resolution Audio capability.
Uncoloured frequency response suitable for production, obtained through collaboration with ‘leading industry professionals’."
Now I wonder who might they be...?
Nice times ahead!

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3,325 of 6,502
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #3,326 of 6,502
Too late... :sunglasses:
IMG_7198.jpg
Congrats on the big boy! i had one briefly and kind of miss it. i think ZMF launched something i couldn't resist right after i got it, so i sold it quickly. the memory of it lingers, that's a sign i need to give it another try. looking forward to your impressions. i found seal with it was critical. any gaps in the seal would depressurize it and it would sound limp and thin. but when properly sealed man that thing could thump! it was not a characteristically Sennheiser sounding Sennheiser hahaha.

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #3,327 of 6,502
Well, it seems that accuracy and naturalness lovers will soon have another headphone to talk (or dispute) about, besides the HD-660S2 and the NDH 30 cousins:
A new open back, reference from SONY !!! MDR-MV1, challenging both at only $ 400.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-mv1.967749/
https://pro.sony/en_GB/products/headphones/mdr-mv1

Sony make bold claims for high precision, among them:
"Accurate reproduction of the spatial information of the sound source with carefully tuned open back acoustic structure to support mixing and mastering of both spatial and stereo sounds with High-Resolution Audio capability.
Uncoloured frequency response suitable for production, obtained through collaboration with ‘leading industry professionals’."
Now I wonder who might they be...?
Nice times ahead!
interesting! i have a love/hate relationship with Sony headphones. some i adored, others i despised. it came down to the treble attenuation. i found some of their stuff is Grado hot up top. my ears would be ringing within 30-45 minutes of listening. others like the MDR V6 i could somehow leave on all day without any fatigue. i like the fact that there's a good push in the sub $1K price range going on right now. i just hope they're not bass canons like the Z7.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,328 of 6,502
i like the fact that there's a good push in the sub $1K price range going on right now
Yeah!! I'm all for a race to the bottom, LOL. As long as we're only talking price, and not SQ. I really do think that we may see a new trend toward (relative) affordability coming on. I'm here for it

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #3,330 of 6,502
Yeah!! I'm all for a race to the bottom, LOL. As long as we're only talking price, and not SQ. I really do think that we may see a new trend toward (relative) affordability coming on. I'm here for it
me too, the market needs attention at the lower price points so it doesn't isolate buyers. you shouldn't need to blow 4 figures on killer sound. i do love my boutique headphones, but i know i'm in a small window of affordablity. once the kiddos start driving i'll have to sell a lot of that stuff and downsize. thankfully i could happily live with a bottlehead crack, hd600 and 650 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back