Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #3,286 of 6,500
Ricco if you can get chance , you say you wanted wood. Try out the high end grado gs3000x. Range. Or if you still having issues,. Go back to decent speakers . Lol
Hahaha I really can’t stand wood sorry except on my speakers. My new neighbour forced me in this dangerous and expensive game 😅

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #3,287 of 6,500
Solid state amps will be just as engaging and very capable. I had a La Figaro 339 with great tubes with both the HD600 and HD800S as well as with solid state. Didn't find anything special with tubes. Sorry
Which SS amp in a not too far price range did you find equal or better than tubes based ones?
Well in my case I was using my NAD M3 with speaker tap cables so that would be a hard direct comparison but my comment is more properly considered as questioning the notion of tube superiority with high Z headphones, generally.

I had hoped that would be the case when I purchased the 339 and good tubes, but really, even when switching back and forth as quickly I could I just couldn't hear tube magic.

Psychologically though, I started to think I may hear this wonderful "tube warmth" but really, after years of reading to expect this result is it surprising that I thought I was hearing it? Just as likely to be expectation bias at work. Over time I could never really be certain there was any benefit so I sold the 339

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,288 of 6,500
Hahaha I really can’t stand wood sorry except on my speakers.*** My new neighbour forced me in this dangerous and expensive game 😅
*** L👀K at what you could be missing !…
9A35BA6B-428C-40B0-BB1B-157A06B753FB.jpeg

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,289 of 6,500
Please allow me to ask some advice.

I have owned an HD660S2 for a couple of weeks around 2 month ago and I found it very balanced and good, more complete than many other headphones I have tried. Then I have returned it as I was hunting for a more musical (slightly fun?) headphone.

I’m fairly new to the headphones world - about 3 months - and changed already too many and certainly more headphones than I would have ever expected.
In chronological order:
Amiron home, DT880 600 ohms, NDH30, HD660S2, Arya SE, Meze Elite, HE1000V2, HE6SE.
I’m still owning the Elite and about to return the HE1000V2.
I thought the latter was my ideal headphones but in fact the lack of bass (IMO) put me off. It’s like “oh I love this headphone but” feeling all the time I listen with it.
The Elite is great, and from a musical point of view my favourite, but it’s not enough precise and accurate, sometimes. I got the new pads yesterday and It feels much better.

I have borrowed the Solitaire P a couple of days ago and while very good I am not sure it’s worth the price. Perhaps I had too high expectations.

So as you can imagine my question is: shall I try again the S2?

My gear as changed since I got it the first time, moved from Okto dac8 and pass labs HPA1 to Gustard X26pro and Ferrum combo. The Gustard will leave soon and make space for the Holo Spring 3 KTE.

I was an analogue 2ch guy and for necessity I’m extending to digital and headphones which will be my 90% listening habit.

I listen to classic rock blues and jazz and like wide soundstage, details precision, musicality, transparency and don’t like dark, boomy, clinical, monitor like headphones.

Oh, I have also the tendency to reject headphones which don’t meet my aesthetic codes, I like clean and simple lines and not so into wood e.g. ZMF.

Hopefully I can find some food for thoughts here. Many thanks.
Did you try digital EQ'ing?

In my ears, without EQ no headphone sounds totally right. It explains why many people here have 125 headphones in their collection. :)

With some EQ you could be totally happy with a 200 dollar headphone...

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #3,290 of 6,500
@Ricco275 It seems like you've got plenty of budget to try a Susvara, so why not shoot for the moon? I had an extended session with it one day when a friend brought it over, and I kind of agree with the broad opinion that it's the best overall package you can buy (if money is no object).

Bonus: it's not a woody

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #3,291 of 6,500
Did you try digital EQ'ing?

In my ears, without EQ no headphone sounds totally right. It explains why many people here have 125 headphones in their collection. :)

With some EQ you could be totally happy with a 200 dollar headphone...
I don’t EQ. I’m more plug and play as I also listen to turntable. And digital I do streaming from nucleus.

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #3,292 of 6,500
@Ricco275 It seems like you've got plenty of budget to try a Susvara, so why not shoot for the moon? I had an extended session with it one day when a friend brought it over, and I kind of agree with the broad opinion that it's the best overall package you can buy (if money is no object).

Bonus: it's not a woody
Thanks. I tried it and liked it. Liked it very much with jazz but not enough with rock, otherwise it would have been certainly the best, I found it more suitable to classical music personally. I may try Camerton and Dan Clark’s Expanse. Focal have too narrow soundstage for my taste.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #3,294 of 6,500
Woohoo, my eyes hurts! Ugliest cans ever, by a large margin LoL perfect gift HAHA!

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #3,295 of 6,500
Solid state amps will be just as engaging and very capable. I had a La Figaro 339 with great tubes with both the HD600 and HD800S as well as with solid state. Didn't find anything special with tubes. Sorry

Well in my case I was using my NAD M3 with speaker tap cables so that would be a hard direct comparison but my comment is more properly considered as questioning the notion of tube superiority with high Z headphones, generally.

I had hoped that would be the case when I purchased the 339 and good tubes, but really, even when switching back and forth as quickly I could I just couldn't hear tube magic.

Psychologically though, I started to think I may hear this wonderful "tube warmth" but really, after years of reading to expect this result is it surprising that I thought I was hearing it? Just as likely to be expectation bias at work. Over time I could never really be certain there was any benefit so I sold the 339
from my experiences, a good modern tube amp usually has a fairly neutral tuning with just a hint of the tube warmth tubes are noted for. when i was still transitioning from solid state to tubes, my best two amps were an spl phonitor e and an ampsandsound pendant. i ran splitters from my dac to both amps to see what the difference tubes would make, and didn't notice a huge difference when swapping back and forth on the fly. i was pretty frustrated and unsure of myself and what i was hearing. it wasn't until i spent a good week straight with the pendant, which was new, that i noticed a difference when going back to the phonitor. my brain had adjusted to the pendant's signature, and playing on the phonitor highlighted the pendant's touch of added warmth and smoothness. i then started swapping back and forth live and again, was struggling to hear a difference. so this time i went a few days straight with the phonitor, then swapped to the pendant, and that brought out the differences again. the pendant was a bit thicker and fuller sounding. our brains and ears are odd beasts for sure. i agree, hot swapping live with solid state and tubes won't always show a difference. but give one amp a long run (a few days with no system changes), then swap to the other amp, and maybe the differences will be more noticeable. just my experience having walked both sides of the street. i think the main thing with tubes and high impedance headphones is the output impedance of tube amps vs just being a tube amp. by adjusting the dampening factor of the system, it can have pretty noticeable effects on sound quality. even on the solid state side i've noticed a difference. the beyerdynamic a20 has a fixed output impedance of either 120 or 150 (forget off the top of my head), and it's different sounding with 300ohm headphones than most 1 or less output impedance solid state amps. i think by lowering the dampening factor it allows the driver to breath a little bit, not being overdampened and overcontrolled. Zach of ZMF has said as much when people ask him for solid state amp options. he's always said try the a20 or one of the cayin units with variable output impedance.

so moral of the story? i like to talk alot :)

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #3,297 of 6,500
from my experiences, a good modern tube amp usually has a fairly neutral tuning with just a hint of the tube warmth tubes are noted for. when i was still transitioning from solid state to tubes, my best two amps were an spl phonitor e and an ampsandsound pendant. i ran splitters from my dac to both amps to see what the difference tubes would make, and didn't notice a huge difference when swapping back and forth on the fly. i was pretty frustrated and unsure of myself and what i was hearing. it wasn't until i spent a good week straight with the pendant, which was new, that i noticed a difference when going back to the phonitor. my brain had adjusted to the pendant's signature, and playing on the phonitor highlighted the pendant's touch of added warmth and smoothness. i then started swapping back and forth live and again, was struggling to hear a difference. so this time i went a few days straight with the phonitor, then swapped to the pendant, and that brought out the differences again. the pendant was a bit thicker and fuller sounding. our brains and ears are odd beasts for sure. i agree, hot swapping live with solid state and tubes won't always show a difference. but give one amp a long run (a few days with no system changes), then swap to the other amp, and maybe the differences will be more noticeable. just my experience having walked both sides of the street. i think the main thing with tubes and high impedance headphones is the output impedance of tube amps vs just being a tube amp. by adjusting the dampening factor of the system, it can have pretty noticeable effects on sound quality. even on the solid state side i've noticed a difference. the beyerdynamic a20 has a fixed output impedance of either 120 or 150 (forget off the top of my head), and it's different sounding with 300ohm headphones than most 1 or less output impedance solid state amps. i think by lowering the dampening factor it allows the driver to breath a little bit, not being overdampened and overcontrolled. Zach of ZMF has said as much when people ask him for solid state amp options. he's always said try the a20 or one of the cayin units with variable output impedance.

so moral of the story? i like to talk alot :)
Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like you approached things as sensibly and methodically as you could. I'm glad that you felt confident in your impressions. In the end, the only person's opinion that matters is yours right?

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #3,298 of 6,500

I have owned an HD660S2 for a couple of weeks around 2 month ago and I found it very balanced and good, more complete than many other headphones I have tried. Then I have returned it as I was hunting for a more musical (slightly fun?) headphone.

There are higher end, fun phones out here, I don't know them so cannot assist you there...but to pick up the S2 again.....why not....always good to have one phone around that you've found to be
very balanced and good, more complete than many other headphones
..and relatively speaking.... reasonably priced. :)

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #3,299 of 6,500

I’m fairly new to the headphones world - about 3 months - and changed already too many and certainly more headphones than I would have ever expected.
In chronological order:
Amiron home, DT880 600 ohms, NDH30, HD660S2, Arya SE, Meze Elite, HE1000V2, HE6SE.
I’m still owning the Elite and about to return the HE1000V2.
I thought the latter was my ideal headphones but in fact the lack of bass (IMO) put me off. It’s like “oh I love this headphone but” feeling all the time I listen with it.
The Elite is great, and from a musical point of view my favourite, but it’s not enough precise and accurate, sometimes. I got the new pads yesterday and It feels much better.

I have borrowed the Solitaire P a couple of days ago and while very good I am not sure it’s worth the price. Perhaps I had too high expectations.

My gear as changed since I got it the first time, moved from Okto dac8 and pass labs HPA1 to Gustard X26pro and Ferrum combo. The Gustard will leave soon and make space for the Holo Spring 3 KTE.

I was an analogue 2ch guy and for necessity I’m extending to digital and headphones which will be my 90% listening habit.

I listen to classic rock blues and jazz and like wide soundstage, details precision, musicality, transparency and don’t like dark, boomy, clinical, monitor like headphones.

Oh, I have also the tendency to reject headphones which don’t meet my aesthetic codes, I like clean and simple lines and not so into wood e.g. ZMF.

No, you bought the S2 and didn't like it.
Move on is my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back