Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #3,271 of 6,560
Wow you've owned quite a few killer headphones! Honestly the only headphones that I might suggest are all wood. The TH-900 is a bass thumping machine, though the highs are a a bit hot/sibilant. The ZMF Atrium Closed is just as visceral as the TH-900 but with much softer highs and an overall more approachable tuning. Both are musical and engaging. There's the Atticus as well which can be had under $1K used fairly often in the classifieds. I know, more wood, sorry. Maybe look into the Focal Stellia? I found it really engaging, though I prefer my ZMFs to it. I get not liking certain looks, but if sound quality is paramount, IMO it's worth expanding your search to include some stuff that you'd otherwise pass on. Especially given you've tried so many high end sets and not liked them. If you passed on the S2 already, personally I wouldn't bother going back. I've done that myself, sold a set and repurchased later. Almost every time I end up reselling them again as my initial impressions held up. If you do go back to the S2, maybe try a tube amplifier? You have a lot of solid state gear, maybe tubes are the way? High impedance headphones like Sennheisers and ZMF sound amazing on tubes, and IMO much better than solid state. That would be the only way i'd try an S2 again as it will sound quite different on tubes. I run my S2 on tubes, and when I try it on my Jotunheim 2 solid state, it looses it's magic for me.

Tubes...this is the way!

1681223613430.png
otl... This is the way

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #3,272 of 6,560
Wow you've owned quite a few killer headphones! Honestly the only headphones that I might suggest are all wood. The TH-900 is a bass thumping machine, though the highs are a a bit hot/sibilant. The ZMF Atrium Closed is just as visceral as the TH-900 but with much softer highs and an overall more approachable tuning. Both are musical and engaging. There's the Atticus as well which can be had under $1K used fairly often in the classifieds. I know, more wood, sorry. Maybe look into the Focal Stellia? I found it really engaging, though I prefer my ZMFs to it. I get not liking certain looks, but if sound quality is paramount, IMO it's worth expanding your search to include some stuff that you'd otherwise pass on. Especially given you've tried so many high end sets and not liked them. If you passed on the S2 already, personally I wouldn't bother going back. I've done that myself, sold a set and repurchased later. Almost every time I end up reselling them again as my initial impressions held up. If you do go back to the S2, maybe try a tube amplifier? You have a lot of solid state gear, maybe tubes are the way? High impedance headphones like Sennheisers and ZMF sound amazing on tubes, and IMO much better than solid state. That would be the only way i'd try an S2 again as it will sound quite different on tubes. I run my S2 on tubes, and when I try it on my Jotunheim 2 solid state, it looses it's magic for me.

Tubes...this is the way!

1681223613430.png
I can actually audition the woody ones and perhaps I’ll give it a try. I didn’t want to audition them being scared I may like them but won’t approve the look lol.

Agree on tubes but seems to me they are less flexible in terms of pairing. My current amp is considered a strong all rounder and can adjust gain and current level for fine tuning.

About tubes I was looking at LTA MicroOZOTL MZ3.

Oh I forgot I have tried also all the Final D8000 models and while liking the tone I find them too monitor like and fatiguing in a long session.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #3,274 of 6,560
Ricco if you can get chance , you say you wanted wood. Try out the high end grado gs3000x. Range. Or if you still having issues,. Go back to decent speakers . Lol

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #3,275 of 6,560
Please allow me to ask some advice.

I listen to classic rock blues and jazz and like wide soundstage, details precision, musicality, transparency and don’t like dark, boomy, clinical, monitor like headphones.

Oh, I have also the tendency to reject headphones which don’t meet my aesthetic codes, I like clean and simple lines and not so into wood e.g. ZMF.
Recommendation A: Sennheiser HD-660S2, Woo Audio WA2 (OTL tube).
Recommendation B: Sennheiser HD-660S2,
Icon Audio HP8 Signature (OTC tube).
Recommendation C: Grado GS-3000x, Icon Audio HP8 Signature (OTC tube).
Recommendation D: Grado GS-3000x, Linear Tube Audio MZ3 (ZOTL tube).

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #3,276 of 6,560
Recommendation A: Sennheiser HD-660S2, Woo Audio WA2 (OTL tube).
Recommendation B: Sennheiser HD-660S2,
Icon Audio HP8 Signature (OTC tube).
Recommendation C: Grado GS-3000x, Icon Audio HP8 Signature (OTC tube).
Recommendation D: Grado GS-3000x, Linear Tube Audio MZ3 (ZOTL tube).
Thank you for this. A as best or D? How about Feliks audio amps?

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #3,277 of 6,560
No quality gradation implied by letters; just the order in which I thought / listed. No experience with Feliks Audio gear.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #3,278 of 6,560
My previous audio setup consisted of the Feliks Euforia amplifier and HD800 headphones, which created a stunning audio experience. However, I have now switched to using the La Figaro 339 amplifier, which has a much warmer sound profile. The experience of using the HD660S2 headphones with the La Figaro 339 amplifier is one of the best musical experiences I have had. Despite having tried many other high-end setups, this combination offers a "no headphones in my ear, just music" feeling that is hard to replicate.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #3,279 of 6,560
Solid state amps will be just as engaging and very capable. I had a La Figaro 339 with great tubes with both the HD600 and HD800S as well as with solid state. Didn't find anything special with tubes. Sorry.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #3,280 of 6,560
No quality gradation implied by letters; just the order in which I thought / listed. No experience with Feliks Audio gear.
I have the Feliks Audio Espressivio (since discontinued and I believe replaced with the Echo). I love my Grados with the Feliks, BUT I've found that recordings that are poorly mastered, sometimes do not play well with the Grado/Feliks combo. I can immediately tell that there is a problem as the bass sounds really "flabby and bloated".... Very noticeable. That being said, most of my recordings are well done and I very much enjoy this headphone/amp combo...... My favorite

Leo

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #3,281 of 6,560
My previous audio setup consisted of the Feliks Euforia amplifier and HD800 headphones, which created a stunning audio experience. However, I have now switched to using the La Figaro 339 amplifier, which has a much warmer sound profile. The experience of using the HD660S2 headphones with the La Figaro 339 amplifier is one of the best musical experiences I have had. Despite having tried many other high-end setups, this combination offers a "no headphones in my ear, just music" feeling that is hard to replicate.
Thanks didn’t know that amp will dig in!

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #3,282 of 6,560
Solid state amps will be just as engaging and very capable. I had a La Figaro 339 with great tubes with both the HD600 and HD800S as well as with solid state. Didn't find anything special with tubes. Sorry.
Which SS amp in a not too far price range did you find equal or better than tubes based ones?

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #3,283 of 6,560
But don't forget, tubes glow and ionize the air.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #3,284 of 6,560
I can actually audition the woody ones and perhaps I’ll give it a try. I didn’t want to audition them being scared I may like them but won’t approve the look lol.

Agree on tubes but seems to me they are less flexible in terms of pairing. My current amp is considered a strong all rounder and can adjust gain and current level for fine tuning.

About tubes I was looking at LTA MicroOZOTL MZ3.

Oh I forgot I have tried also all the Final D8000 models and while liking the tone I find them too monitor like and fatiguing in a long session.
I don't have an MZ3 but I do have an MZ2 and love it with the S2. But it is a fairly neutral tube amp, not as warm/syrupy as some of the others listed by others. If Feliks is easily available by you they're excellent options. Even the Echo 2 sounds excellent with high impedance headphones. I loved my HD650 on an Echo 2. I have no doubt the S2 would also be great.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #3,285 of 6,560
LTA are not available here. Feliks widely available. I think as soon as I sell my pass labs HPA 1 I’ll try a tubes amp. Will keep the Ferrum combo as its just amazing, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back