Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 7, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #3,197 of 6,500
I am hoping the S2 or the other headphone are the upgrade I’m looking for over the R70x and S1.
Well, I can tell you that the other headphone is on a completely different level to the S1. But these things are somewhat subjective of course so I won't attempt to quantify it - you'll have to try it yourself :wink: As always it depends on personal taste, equipment used, source material and sample variation.

Apr 7, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #3,199 of 6,500
At times I honestly forget that I'm wearing a "6xx series" Sennheiser - Their sound feels so fresh and different enough from the 660S1 to make me rather happy. As others have said before, something about their dynamics, ability to portray the soundstage etc. Again, baffled how these small adjustments by Sennheiser made quite the difference, as I cannot stand a lack of bass which the S1 definitely had IMO.

Apr 7, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #3,200 of 6,500
@kman1211 , mildly apples to oranges comparison perhaps (if comparisons in this thread are still allowed to anything else but the 6xx series :wink:), but out of curiosity how would you compare the Beyerdynamics T1's in your profile picture to the 660S2?
I haven’t heard the HD 660S2 yet so can’t make the comparison yet. The T1.3 is a different tier of headphone than the other HD 6xx series in terms of resolving ability. No idea how the HD 660S2 will compare. The T1.3 is my favorite headphone, I’m not looking for a replacement but a compliment that is closer in fidelity.

The T1.3 is warmer than any of the HD 6xx series and is what I call a bit of a warm v-shape (very broad and large bass shelf from upper bass to sub-bass and mild treble boost). The T1.2 and Amiron Home are also a warm v-shape but the T1.3 tones down the treble and brings forward bass and warmth more than those. Its upper mid dip isn’t as prominent as it may seem in measurements due to its steep driver angle. But despite their colored response I often forget I’m listening to headphones with them. Resolution, detail, transients, dynamics, imaging, and soundstage are a different level than the HD 6xx series headphones I’ve heard.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #3,201 of 6,500
That is one area I find the new S2 driver excels IMHO over its predecessors...when driven well. : )

Nah S2 didn't do the louder sounds as well as 600/650. Sounds were more similarly scaled in terms of dynamics. S2 isn't as bad at this as S1 though, but i wouldn't say S2 excels at portraying large dynamic swings.
It had 600/650 beat on depth, height, imaging and separation. I think S2 sounds better on solid state and hybrid amps. 600/650 take it on midrange realism, timbre and they are still better on OTL or transformer coupled tube amps like the WA6. I rated detail retrieval as a wash between 600/650 and S2.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #3,202 of 6,500
I think S2 sounds better on solid state and hybrid amps
Yeah, I've been preferring the S2 directly off the Ragnarok2, and not out of the EarMax Pro (OTL - with Rag as the preamp). I think the bass is just too thicc for me when paired with the tubes. I tad cleaner and tighter with the SS amp.

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #3,203 of 6,500
Nah S2 didn't do the louder sounds as well as 600/650. Sounds were more similarly scaled in terms of dynamics........
We'll continue to agree to disagree...but having owned the HD650 x 3 plus the HD6XX, 600 and the HD580, I cannot recall them coming close to the S2...maybe it's the choice of music...could be the Bryston BHA1 and also the HDVH800 I've recently on hand..hhhhmmm????

600/650 take it on midrange realism, timbre and they are still better better
Even there I've come around and find the S2 an improvement.

Maybe it's tubes????

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #3,204 of 6,500
Even there I've come around and find the S2 an improvement.
I have great respect for your listening experience Rob, but even if the S2 is anything at all like the earlier sixes (which by most accounts it is) it surely must be difficult to be really certain about how things like midrange realism and timbre on the S2 compare to those headphones without direct comparison?

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #3,205 of 6,500
I have great respect for your listening experience Rob, but even if the S2 is anything at all like the earlier sixes (which by most accounts it is) it
Thanks Mike.
IMHO the S2 is technically the better phone and "for me" sounds more correct top to bottom.
surely must be difficult to be really certain about how things like midrange realism and timbre on the S2 compare to those headphones without direct comparison?
What I think it really comes down is that those who are/were enamoured with the warm intimacy of the original, may find a cleaner more precise offering veering from the tradition and not an upgrade at all...doesn't have that "midrange magic", especially if one listens to a lot of vocal centric music.
Folks will disagree but with regards to my own preferences the S2, IMHO, they still have all those attributes, relatively speaking there is no denying it's still a 600 series in looks and sound but in a newer fresher fuller sounding offering, like a new pair of shoes lets say. : )

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #3,207 of 6,500
Very extensive review of the S2:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-660s2/

Another reviewer who says it's not worth the upgrade if you already own a S1.
Thankyou! That’s the one I’ve been waiting for and looking out for. I trust his reviews. He really knows his stuff technically, and I also find I very much agree with his judgements on headphones which are familiar to me.

The best measurements and reviews on the Internet in my opinion!

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #3,208 of 6,500
Another reviewer who says it's not worth the upgrade if you already own a S1.
Thankyou! That’s the one I’ve been waiting for and looking out for. I trust his reviews. H........
I also like and trust his reviews..although on this one my ears tell me otherwise...
"....... They are more similar than different with just slightly more treble in the HD660S2. The extra few dB bass extension isn’t as audible as the advertising claims."
Maybe so... more than enough though to continually give me the sensation of listening full range, which the HD660S nor the 650 did....and that's really important!

Having had the HD660S three times the S2 is after extended listening is a much more satisfying listen all round....As I noted on many occasions my preference normally lean more toward a more analytical but the S2 just seems to work for me. ..."It sounds ‘ordinary’ at first listen but is very good at it. Distortion free, no thumping bass, silky smooth treble, no shouty or sharp mids, no coarse or muffled sound.. it is just … nice… and ‘polite’ as in not ‘offensive’ in any way."

Another point I cannot agree on...
"Stereo imaging is the same as all the other HD6** models and is stable but narrow."
The S2 continues to surprise me with the depth, layering, height and width, no it's not the HD800/S....but it's way more than I can recall with any previous 600 series phone. The newer driver just has more finesse and technical abilities in creating that auditory illusion but still sounds natural overall.

On this we agree. : )
"It just does its job in a way that it cannot be faulted and allows for fatigue free and pleasant listening experience. The sound is not ‘remarkable’ or ‘special’ in any way which is a compliment in a certain way."
Which is how it should be IMHO....the recording should speak for itself and the phones should just be the messenger.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #3,209 of 6,500
... the S2 is after extended listening is a much more satisfying listen all round..."It sounds ‘ordinary’ at first listen but is very good at it. Distortion free, no thumping bass, silky smooth treble, no shouty or sharp mids, no coarse or muffled sound.. it is just … nice… and ‘polite’ as in not ‘offensive’ in any way."

"It just does its job in a way that it cannot be faulted and allows for fatigue free and pleasant listening experience. The sound is not ‘remarkable’ or ‘special’ in any way which is a compliment in a certain way."
One thing seems clear, and that is that Sennheiser has created a headphone which is very enjoyable to listen to. If they've done this, as they claim, by listening to market feedback and giving people what they want, then they seem to have succeeded. Personally I do wish that you still had a 600, 650 or and 660S to compare them directly to. As we know, they're all great headphones and one can appreciate and get used to anything, but, I trust your memory and judgement. I do believe what you say, I just wish that a direct comparison was possible.......

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #3,210 of 6,500
When reading your posts throughout this thread, I get the distinct impression that the S2 pays more dividends the longer you listen. Those subtle things that unravel and come to light only after extended listening. Which makes the difference in price a kind of “pay in instalments” sort of gratification, if you get what I mean. It’s a true “investment”.

It’s the sort of thing that makes me pull the trigger on a purchase.

I also note that the similarity in response on the graphs makes me wonder if these small differences are achieved by different foam (material/thickness) pieces in the pads (in front of the driver). For decades I have experimented with this sort of thing (same thickness but different texture) and it makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back