Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #3,181 of 6,561
Well, I've been pretty much lurking here since the start. I finally broke down and ordered the S2 a few minutes ago. ............

Leo
Hopefully we haven't led you down the garden path and you do like them. I've had zero regrets and there's yet to be a day they've sat idling, definitely getting my musical appreciation out of them. :)

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #3,182 of 6,561
Thats shameless behaviour. No wonder there are tons of complaints when people receive stuff scratched and abused when it should be pristine.
I received my hd800S when i bought it, with its box seal broken and never did and never gonna do business with that dealer again.

How does the language i used, "exact same condition" equate to individuals you're saying receive items that are "scratched and abused". Do you find stretches amusing?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #3,183 of 6,561
The dimensions (diameter) of the driver have not changed. It has always been a driver with a 38mm diaphragm (moving part) in its 42mm chassis. This is mentioned as a 38mm driver in some specs or as a 42mm driver elsewhere.

The depth of the diaphragm is shallower on the 660s2 than the 650/600. So the diameter is the same but the driver piece isn't as thick.

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #3,184 of 6,561
The depth of the diaphragm is shallower on the 660s2 than the 650/600. So the diameter is the same but the driver piece isn't as thick.
Really? Imo I feel them to be the same except the 660s2 diaphragm is a little more transparent/see-through

Attachments

• 7012E94F-22DC-46A3-AD37-85C31E5F8953.jpeg
    7012E94F-22DC-46A3-AD37-85C31E5F8953.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 7, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #3,185 of 6,561
I pre-ordered the 660S2 and they arrived on release date back in February. These have become my favorite headphones. Also in my collection are the AKG K712 Pro and Hifiman Sundara. The 660S2 do it all, especially with my classic rock library which is all on CD.

The Sennheiser HD 660S2 literally does everything right. These will probably be my last headphone.

Apr 7, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #3,186 of 6,561
Really? Imo I feel them to be the same except the 660s2 diaphragm is a little more transparent/see-through

If you try to out the 650 driver into the 660S2 diaphragm it will not snap in because of the extra thickness

Apr 7, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #3,187 of 6,561
If you try to out the 650 driver into the 660S2 diaphragm it will not snap in because of the extra thickness
Tks it may contribute to the reason why you commented that the 650 have better dynamic swing compared to that on the 660s2. I often call it microdynamic which I think to have a relative connection with the depth of soundstage

Apr 7, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #3,188 of 6,561
Tks it may contribute to the reason why you commented that the 650 have better dynamic swing compared to that on the 660s2. I often call it microdynamic which I think to have a relative connection with the depth of soundstage
I have noticed the HD 600/650 has a better dynamic swing and greater depth than the HD 660 S. Worries me to hear the HD 660 S2 may lack this some too, hopefully it's not really the case or it's at least notably improved over the HD 660 S in this aspect. In fact weakish dynamic swing is my main complaint about the HD 660 S as well as the HD 560 S. I’m also used to Beyers which excel at dynamic swing, so it’s noticeable to me. The HD 660 S can sound like it hits a brick wall dynamically at times. I think this is a big thing that prevented the HD 660 S1 from being an upgrade from the HD 600/650 to many and why many say the HD 600/650 scale more.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #3,189 of 6,561
I have noticed the HD 600/650 has a better dynamic swing and greater depth than the HD 660 S. Worries me to hear the HD 660 S2 may lack this some too. In fact weakish dynamic swing is my main complaint about the HD 660 S as well as the HD 560 S. I’m also used to Beyers which excel at dynamic swing, so it’s noticeable to me. The HD 660 S can sound like it hits a brick wall dynamically at times. I think this is a big thing that prevented the HD 660 S1 from being an upgrade from the HD 600/650 to many.

The S2 defo outperforms the s1. Funny enough, the r70x I demoed side by side with s1/s2. I say funny enough b/c you mentioned the r70x so many times. I was quite surprised by the r70x. I did not like it's fit though (but that is personal thing). Not the wing system, but the pads were on the small side for me. I know you are a Beyer fan too, and the S2 would probably compliment your Tesla type fan in context of smoothness, inoffensive + musical with details all there, whereas "the headphone which cannot be mentioned" would be more aligned to the 48/480 characteristics (though for music listening, better overall, not necessarily all aspects of FR)

As nice as the s2 is, I don't think it will change your world if you have experience with the 6 line (300 ohm) versions. Whereas vs the S1, the higher impedence would probably open more doors for wider array of amplification. In other words, if one has 660 S1 as their first Sennheiser, it would be worthwhile upgrade. Otherwise its like a sidegrade; though debatable whether it is slightly superior. I think so, but i'm talking like 5% -10% type better :p

YMMV

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #3,190 of 6,561
The S2 defo outperforms the s1. Funny enough, the r70x I demoed side by side with s1/s2. I say funny enough b/c you mentioned the r70x so many times. I was quite surprised by the r70x. I did not like it's fit though (but that is personal thing). Not the wing system, but the pads were on the small side for me. I know you are a Beyer fan too, and the S2 would probably compliment your Tesla type fan in context of smoothness, inoffensive + musical with details all there, whereas "the headphone which cannot be mentioned" would be more aligned to the 48/480 characteristics (though for music listening, better overall, not necessarily all aspects of FR)

As nice as the s2 is, I don't think it will change your world if you have experience with the 6 line (300 ohm) versions. Whereas vs the S1, the higher impedence would probably open more doors for wider array of amplification. In other words, if one has 660 S1 as their first Sennheiser, it would be worthwhile upgrade. Otherwise its like a sidegrade; though debatable whether it is slightly superior. I think so, but i'm talking like 5% -10% type better :p

YMMV
Okay good to hear that, I plan on listening to it and the other headphone soon actually. How did you feel about the R70x compared to the HD 660 S/660S2 sonically? What surprised you about them? The pads are on the small side so definitely won't be ideal for many, luckily it works out for me and due to that are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Yeah, I think for my listening preferences and tastes I will likely prefer the HD 660S2. But I do want to listen first to confirm and make sure I have no issues.

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #3,191 of 6,561
I have noticed the HD 600/650 has a better dynamic swing and greater depth than the HD 660 S. Worries me to hear the HD 660 S2 may lack this some too. In fact weakish dynamic swing is my main complaint about the HD 660 S as well as the HD 560 S. I’m also used to Beyers which excel at dynamic swing, so it’s noticeable to me. The HD 660 S can sound like it hits a brick wall dynamically at times. I think this is a big thing that prevented the HD 660 S1 from being an upgrade from the HD 600/650 to many.
Agreed. And this 660s2 thread is one of the most confusing one to read. Because many said the s2’s depth and dynamic being its most strength factor compared to the 600/650’s 3 blob. Others said otherwise 😭 Is it ss vs tube different behavior on Sennheiser hps?
Idk if the impedance can change one hp’s characteristics too much but I listened to the 660s1 and the 700 in the past . They sounded nothing alike. The 700 sounded much more open and big to my ears

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #3,192 of 6,561
Okay good to hear that, I plan on listening to it and the other headphone soon actually. How did you feel about the R70x compared to the HD 660 S/660S2 sonically? What surprised you about them? The pads are on the small side so definitely won't be ideal for many, luckily it works out for me and due to that are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Yeah, I think for my listening preferences and tastes I will likely prefer the HD 660S2. But I do want to listen first to confirm and make sure I have no issues.

Yes, if you can get the chance to listen first, that is always best. Obviously XD
As for r70x, what surprised me was the balance. Simply put, it's a genre friendly signature very similar to Sennheiser 6 line. Not much subbass below i'd say 50-60hz (impact wise anyway) though you can sense its there, but there is warmth and body, perhaps a slight boost in the midbass, the mids sound organic and natural (no shout or heavy enhancment), and mellow treble. I would say that was what surprised me. Though, timbre was great, I'd still give nod to S1 and S2 over it. So to me anyway, it was inferior to both.

But I think comfort and familiarity with Sennheiser and just I am somewhat biased in that sense. Had I not been rotating with the s1/s2, as I was checking the similarities, then I would have thought they "sounded right". But b/c the Sennheiser was there, they were "more right" to me (again possibly just due to familiarity with Sennheisers in general as I use them almost on daily basis)

I will say when I was trying the s2, on many albums (where subbass wasn't a factor) vs s1, there was like minimal differences. As in, I had to really concentrate. And when there were albums/songs with subbass (as more of a factor, relatively speaking), it was noticeable. But kind of like noticeable like you switch a 8" subwoofer to a 10" not like to an 18". Little bit deeper.

Should be noted this was all on a SS. I'm sure OTL/OTC would give different result Please factor that in.

Also I should mention "the headphone which cannot be mentioned" I feel is even more better balanced than r70x, and more spatial information, with more balanced midbass and subbass balance which doesn;t bleed or distract the rest of the FR, very similar mids to 6 line with no shout or over enhancement/romanticism, and treble extends without peaky pains which will make you cry, but not bright (pleasurable bright) to jolt your chakras. True studio monitor. I'd say s2/"the headphone that cannot be mentioned" are same tier and to me >r70x, but not by too much sound wise, which is why r70x is surprising. Comfort wise is different story.

If you like r70x, I would be really shocked if you thought the s2/ "the headphone that cannot be mentioned" were not good. In fact if you think highly of the r70x, then the s2/ "the headphone that cannot be mentioned" would be upgrades.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #3,193 of 6,561
The S2 defo outperforms the s1.

YMMV
Impressions of the S2 can certainly be confusing. I, like many people, thought that the S1 was at least a small overall improvement (albeit not necessarily an ideal one) over the 650. Here again is the view that the S2 is definitely an upgrade to the S1, but more or less just a side-grade from the 600 and 650. The S1 is not infrequently now considered the worst of the four (600 650 S1 S2). This aligns with the three 'pro' YT reviewers that were linked earlier in the thread.

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #3,194 of 6,561
I have noticed the HD 600/650 has a better dynamic swing and greater depth than the HD 660 S. .............
Don't ever recall HD600/650 having great dynamics, at least not the "wake me up and listen" kind.
Won't comment on the HD660S but this piece from Stravinsky's "The Firebird" conducted by Pierre Boulez definitely has very powerful dynamics and the S2 held nothing back at all while holding it together. Even I was surprised. :scream_cat: :)

https://tidal.com/browse/track/214441290
Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.52.35 AM.png

https://tidal.com/browse/album/214441286

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #3,195 of 6,561
Yes, if you can get the chance to listen first, that is always best. Obviously XD
As for r70x, what surprised me was the balance. Simply put, it's a genre friendly signature very similar to Sennheiser 6 line. Not much subbass below i'd say 50-60hz (impact wise anyway) though you can sense its there, but there is warmth and body, perhaps a slight boost in the midbass, the mids sound organic and natural (no shout or heavy enhancment), and mellow treble. I would say that was what surprised me. Though, timbre was great, I'd still give nod to S1 and S2 over it. So to me anyway, it was inferior to both.

But I think comfort and familiarity with Sennheiser and just I am somewhat biased in that sense. Had I not been rotating with the s1/s2, as I was checking the similarities, then I would have thought they "sounded right". But b/c the Sennheiser was there, they were "more right" to me (again possibly just due to familiarity with Sennheisers in general as I use them almost on daily basis)

I will say when I was trying the s2, on many albums (where subbass wasn't a factor) vs s1, there was like minimal differences. As in, I had to really concentrate. And when there were albums/songs with subbass (as more of a factor, relatively speaking), it was noticeable. But kind of like noticeable like you switch a 8" subwoofer to a 10" not like to an 18". Little bit deeper.

Should be noted this was all on a SS. I'm sure OTL/OTC would give different result Please factor that in.

Also I should mention "the headphone which cannot be mentioned" I feel is even more better balanced than r70x, and more spatial information, with more balanced midbass and subbass balance which doesn;t bleed or distract the rest of the FR, very similar mids to 6 line with no shout or over enhancement/romanticism, and treble extends without peaky pains which will make you cry, but not bright (pleasurable bright) to jolt your chakras. True studio monitor. I'd say s2/"the headphone that cannot be mentioned" are same tier and to me >r70x, but not by too much sound wise, which is why r70x is surprising. Comfort wise is different story.

If you like r70x, I would be really shocked if you thought the s2/ "the headphone that cannot be mentioned" were not good. In fact if you think highly of the r70x, then the s2/ "the headphone that cannot be mentioned" would be upgrades.

I’m more familiar with the R70x but I also feel the HD 6xx series sounds a bit more right in the mids. I just felt the imaging and subbass extension was better and they have a slightly airier sound to me. I personally rate the HD 660 S and R70x about equal as a whole with different strengths and weaknesses. The R70X is the closest I’ve heard to the HD 6xx family outside of Senns though. They managed to pretty much capture the essence of the HD 6xx series with none of its DNA. I am hoping the S2 or the other headphone are the upgrade I’m looking for over the R70x and S1.

Don't ever recall HD600/650 having great dynamics, at least not the "wake me up and listen" kind.
Won't comment on the HD660S but this piece from Stravinsky's "The Firebird" conducted by Pierre Boulez definitely has very powerful dynamics and the S2 held nothing back at all while holding it together. Even I was surprised. :scream_cat: :)

https://tidal.com/browse/track/214441290
Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.52.35 AM.png

https://tidal.com/browse/album/214441286

It’s not really dynamics in the attack and more normal sense, I also find the HD 600/650 a bit lacking here, but more that the sense of scale from the dynamic swing is larger on the HD 600/650 than the S1. Like a powerful dynamic event sounds larger in scale with more body behind it especially when driven well. I guess you could say it felt like the S1 reached its excursion limit quicker than the HD 600/650. I’m curious where I’ll find the S2 to be in this aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back