Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 8, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #3,211 of 6,560
Personally I do wish that you still had a 600, 650 or and 660S to compare them directly to. As we know, they're all great headphones and one can appreciate and get used to anything, but, I trust your memory and judgement. I do believe what you say, I just wish that a direct comparison was possible.......
Hi Mike...they are all good phones to enjoy music with...the S2 is just for me more satisfying and offered, what "for me " and then some was missing on the HD660S, which in itself already added what I felt was unsatisfactory with the HD650.
As I repeat over and over, if one is currently happy with their current gear no logical reason I see to spend more money except out of curiosity to pick up the "newest" and maybe greatest... and more often than not opens up a can of worms. lol

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #3,212 of 6,560
Hi Mike...they are all good phones to enjoy music with...the S2 is just for me more satisfying and offered, what "for me " and then some was missing on the HD660S, which in itself already added what I felt was unsatisfactory with the HD650.
As I repeat over and over, if one is currently happy with their current gear no logical reason I see to spend more money except out of curiosity to pick up the "newest" and maybe greatest... and more often than not opens up a can of worms. lol
Glad that you’re finding it so enjoyable long term. That’s a high recommendation.

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #3,213 of 6,560
When reading your posts throughout this thread, I get the distinct impression that the S2 pays more dividends the longer you listen
Maybe it's just getting older... :)
I'm not really a nostalgic person but the S2 take me way back to when I was first putting together my 1st stereo and would listen in anticipation to each record, enjoying nd getting taken away with the music without ever analyzing the sound but happy to be surprised every once in awhile, depending on the recording.

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3,215 of 6,560
........ more dividends the longer you listen.
Just to add...
We would hope ....but for the dozens of cans or more over the years tells us otherwise, not to mention buying the same phone over and over thinking you just might like it this time around or get to accept some quirkiness or flaw...hope nope. :triportsad:

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #3,216 of 6,560
listen to zmf atrium and 660s2 zmf pad side by side for a while and did some comparison

i would say you get 80% of atrium‘s performance with 660s2

two are very similar indeed

the most significant difference between two headphone is bass

atrium gives a much fuller and impactful bass which 660s2 fail to deliver (it should as the marketing is suggesting)

mids are very close on those two headphones with atrium is bit more smooth and holographic

other than that 660s2 have slight better transparency and bit more frontal depth.

i would agree that 660s2 is the jake of all trades and master of none

its a solid stand for dynamic headphones at 400usd range

where i consider the diminish return of this hobby starts to set foot in strong.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #3,217 of 6,560
listen to zmf atrium and 660s2 zmf pad side by side for a while and did some comparison

the most significant difference between two headphone is bass

atrium gives a much fuller and impactful bass which 660s2 fail to deliver (it should as the marketing is suggesting)

mids are very close on those two headphones with atrium is bit more smooth and holographic

other than that 660s2 have slight better transparency and bit more frontal depth.

i would agree that 660s2 is the jake of all trades and master of none

its a solid stand for dynamic headphones at 400usd range

where i consider the diminish return of this hobby starts to set foot in strong.
You compare a 600$ headphone to a 2.400$ headphone and state that the HD660S2 is overpriced? Maybe the ZMF Atrium is exactly that. 4 times the price for 20% better performance with most of it is a overly accentuated bass? Please re-think the diminishing return formulary with more weight on the ZMF and you could find some truth.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #3,218 of 6,560
I thought the review on DIY-Audio-Heaven was excellent, as all his reviews are IMO. I thought that the following two statements were the most telling for me;-

'The main complaints for the HD660S were lack of bass extension and lacking in clarity and being a bit ‘conservative’ on the treble level.
The HD660S seemed to address the main ‘complaints’ about the HD600 and HD650 (upper midrange emphasis) yet is often disliked for that change.
The HD660S2 is touted as an improved HD660S doubling the SPL at 20Hz and increasing the clarity above 5kHz.

The HD600 is found to be lacking in bass extension and too ‘clear’. The HD650 was fuller sounding (more midbass presence) and some found it too ‘midrange’ oriented.The HD660S (to me) was a nice compromise. A bit fuller sounding than HD600 and a bit ‘tighter’ in the lows than HD650. The HD660S did not have the ‘brightness’ of the HD600 but was a bit more ‘laid-back’. As if one is listening to the music a bit further away.'

'There is no need to replace your HD660S with the HD660S2 though. They are more similar than different with just slightly more treble in the HD660S2. The extra few dB bass extension isn’t as audible as the advertising claims.'

So, he states that, as I also thought, that the 660S was a slight improvement on the 650 (he says so more explicitly in the original 660S review - The sound quality, to me, is a small notch above that of the HD650). He also states that, as they are so close, it's not necessary to replace the S1 with the S2. He does not say however that the S2 is not better than the S1. I thought it was a very well balanced review.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #3,219 of 6,560

You compare a 600$ headphone to a 2.400$ headphone and state that the HD660S2 is overpriced?

The Atrium appear to get a lot of mention on this thread so I just looked....at $3441 Can...way above my pay grade for what appears to be a "boutique" style phone. :rolling_eyes:
Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 4.17.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #3,221 of 6,560
Just to add...
We would hope ....but for the dozens of cans or more over the years tells us otherwise, not to mention buying the same phone over and over thinking you just might like it this time around or get to accept some quirkiness or flaw...hope nope. :triportsad:
Sounds Very much like my adventures in Sennheiser! :smile:

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #3,222 of 6,560
I thought the review on DIY-Audio-Heaven was excellent, as all his reviews are IMO. I thought that the following two statements were the most telling for me;-

'The main complaints for the HD660S were lack of bass extension and lacking in clarity and being a bit ‘conservative’ on the treble level.
The HD660S seemed to address the main ‘complaints’ about the HD600 and HD650 (upper midrange emphasis) yet is often disliked for that change.
The HD660S2 is touted as an improved HD660S doubling the SPL at 20Hz and increasing the clarity above 5kHz.

The HD600 is found to be lacking in bass extension and too ‘clear’. The HD650 was fuller sounding (more midbass presence) and some found it too ‘midrange’ oriented.The HD660S (to me) was a nice compromise. A bit fuller sounding than HD600 and a bit ‘tighter’ in the lows than HD650. The HD660S did not have the ‘brightness’ of the HD600 but was a bit more ‘laid-back’. As if one is listening to the music a bit further away.'

'There is no need to replace your HD660S with the HD660S2 though. They are more similar than different with just slightly more treble in the HD660S2. The extra few dB bass extension isn’t as audible as the advertising claims.'

So, he states that, as I also thought, that the 660S was a slight improvement on the 650 (he says so more explicitly in the original 660S review - The sound quality, to me, is a small notch above that of the HD650). He also states that, as they are so close, it's not necessary to replace the S1 with the S2. He does not say however that the S2 is not better than the S1. I thought it was a very well balanced review.
I thought it was a well-balanced review as well. While I did mention I find the HD 660S to have less dynamic swing than the HD 600/650 earlier in the thread, I do find them better overall to my ears. While I'm sure I'll like the HD 660S2 more than the HD 660S, I am quite content with my new HD 660S for the time being. I'll definitely get a pair down the road though.

Sounds Very much like my adventures in Sennheiser! :smile:
Same with me, only Sennheiser I've been happy with is the HD 660S (new one fixed to fatigue I got with the old one). But for basically every other Sennheiser something caused me to let go, it's like they had something other headphones didn't (what caused me to repurchase so many times) but at the same time there was something missing.

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #3,223 of 6,560

You compare a 600$ headphone to a 2.400$ headphone and state that the HD660S2 is overpriced? Maybe the ZMF Atrium is exactly that. 4 times the price for 20% better performance with most of it is a overly accentuated bass? Please re-think the diminishing return formulary with more weight on the ZMF and you could find some truth.

i paid 450usd for 660s2 new so to me its a 400ish headphone

and....YES i found that in this hobby you do need to pay 4times the money for 10~20% performance increase.

you use sony product you understand that right

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #3,224 of 6,560

I did wait for that review to appear because Solderdude has always been very precise and accurate. He always observes and comments very important things that others choose to neglect. Also he gives some of the best and more meaningful sets of measurements. He is usually second to none.
However, given the frequency response similarities to the other 6## series headphones I expected to read at least more analysis on resolution and timbre matters to form a better idea of any significant improvements. This is absent and also contradicting many users' comments here who observe real improvement. Eventually I'll have to listen myself at some point. Or will wait for your review, Mike! :darthsmile:
A few months ago I asked Solderdude to fully review the NDH 30, but he replied that it isn't going to happen unless someone sends him a set. Also he seemed not to expect that much of this headphone, having the HD-560 driver (!) Strange enough and I hope he has changed his mind by now. It is not a headphone that he can afford not to review (or enjoy).

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #3,225 of 6,560
Same with me, only Sennheiser I've been happy with is the HD 660S (new one fixed to fatigue I got with the old one). But for basically every other Sennheiser something caused me to let go, it's like they had something other headphones didn't (what caused me to repurchase so many times) but at the same time there was something missing.
I have owned seven Sennheiser headphones. Never hated any. Never disliked any. However, I never loved any of them either.
I kept hearing and reading that I just didn't get it. The HD600's and HD650's (HD6XX's for me) were the absolute standards in the head-fi hobby and I just wasn't getting it.
I did like the HD660's, but all the Senn's felt a little bass light for me. I never felt like any Senn headphone could be my only headphone if need be. I do feel that way about the Clear's and the Grado GH2's.

But maybe the S2's could fill a niche in my collection, like the iBasso SR2's. :wink:

I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to headphones.:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back