Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #2,866 of 6,501
Is it more like the older ones with layering or more like the S2. I suspect the latter and I’d be interested to know how much difference there is between the S1 and S2 in this regard, if any.
Sadly I did let my HD660S go once the S2 order was secured and wish I could in all honestly tell you but auditory memory is fallible.... definitly more bass, but I can say in all honesty that I never did enjoy the 660S as thoroughly as the new S2, so that might say something.
And unless you find there is absolutely something missing from the your HD660S and NDH30s you should be good...that is, until the next itch. : )

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #2,867 of 6,501
I tell my family everything is from bin store or Salvation Army :smirk:

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #2,868 of 6,501
I’m just glad Axpona is fast approaching. It may not be the best way to audition open backs but I’ll try my best to crank that baby up and see what happens 😅
AXPONA is a nightmare for headphone listening. The deaf audiophiles next door all like to blast their Focal Grand Utopia at 100dB SPL :face_palm: I am exaggeration but not too far from the truth TBH.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #2,869 of 6,501
AXPONA is a nightmare for headphone listening. The deaf audiophiles next door all like to blast their Focal Grand Utopia at 100dB SPL :face_palm: I am exaggeration but not too far from the truth TBH.
LOL you speak truth. The only saving grace is they always have the headphone section on a different floor level, at least in Axpona IL.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #2,870 of 6,501
Mar 29, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #2,871 of 6,501
I'll be picking my pair up from Fedex in a bit. I'll have some thoughts about them later I'm sure

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #2,872 of 6,501
Getting back to the S2..one new area over the previous brethren besides the bass that I've noticed more than a few times is the distinct layering, when available, from the forefront to to the back. The individual elements have a slightly better 3 dimensional effect, more air and I'm also noticing not just depth layering but better height and directional cues.
Obviously these are all just auditory illusions but anyone else having similar observations?
My S2s should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to do a head-to-head-to-head with the OG and the NDH30 (and I'll throw in the HE6se V2 and Nectar Ambrosia for good measure). I'm pretty pumped :)

I've given this some thought (the fact that the 660S does image/separate/layer significantly better than the 650 or 600) and I'm pretty sure this is the thing that divides the community into pro- or con-660S. How big a premium does the listener place on imaging/separation/layering? The 600 and 650 are vague at best in this regard, and while you might prefer the voicing of either of these two over the 660S, for someone who wants that extra level of realism (as I do) the 660S comes out on top every time for this simple reason. Good imaging is the one technicality (all other things being equal) that takes a good headphone from sounding "yeah this is nice and pleasant, I can get into this sound" to "Holy crap! I'm IN THE ROOM with the band, and they're playing this incredible music for ME! This is mind-blowing!" Electrostats tend to be really good for this.

I have an unscientific theory that enthusiasts who are musicians themselves tend to value imaging/separation/layering higher than audiophiles who don't have extensive experience playing or singing in a band. I've been playing the saxophone since I was 8 years old, went to a Jazz conservatory for college, and then spent a bunch of years as an audio engineer in the TV industry. This is n of 1, but I think having a headphone that allows me to feel like I'm physically present with the band, or I'm literally "in the mix" will always beat out a headphone that can't provide this level of lifelike reproduction. I think my background as a player and the countless experiences I've had of being in a room or on stage, where the drums are behind me, the singer is over there to my right, and the guitar player is to my immediate left, etc.. is so deeply ingrained in the way I've experienced music throughout my entire life, that anything else pales in comparison.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #2,873 of 6,501
Mar 29, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2,874 of 6,501
Getting back to the S2..one new area over the previous brethren besides the bass that I've noticed more than a few times is the distinct layering, when available, from the forefront to to the back. The individual elements have a slightly better 3 dimensional effect, more air and I'm also noticing not just depth layering but better height and directional cues.
Obviously these are all just auditory illusions but anyone else having similar observations?
Yeap I heard that same illusions. Its more obvious when I switch from HD650 to HD660S2 immediately. The soundstage just got more halographic, taller, deeper and slghtly wider. Its very enjoyable as HD6XX series are known to have narrow soundstage. In short HD660S2 can be summarize as compare to rest of teh HD6xx series

1) Larger soundstage,
2) More deeper bass and qty
3) More detail
4) More relax mids

All these = pay alot more lol. but it will last you for a long long time and enjoy all your albums all over again.

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #2,875 of 6,501
Here are my initial impressions.. I think a lot of the reviewers I've seen have maybe been a little too safe in their assessments. This headphone is kinda ridiculous. I'll say this, I would pull out the 600 or 650 w specific genres consistently and when I'd play certain songs not in either phone's wheelhouse it was hit or miss, not bad but not ideal. 660S2 seems legit at home with any genre. It's also surprising how this headphone handles each song technically. The comments in here about the staging/layering/depth are spot on, and then those aspects are sandwiched with 6 series level detail (yes the micro detail is back in this one, where the 660S lacked it). 660S2 takes a part a track and builds it back together technically the way it wants, beautifully. My current chain is Roon ->Modius E -> LP with a Custom Cans Ultra Capacitance cable to the HP.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #2,876 of 6,501
Here are my initial impressions.. I think a lot of the reviewers I've seen have maybe been a little too safe in their assessments. This headphone is kinda ridiculous. I'll say this, I would pull out the 600 or 650 w specific genres consistently and when I'd play certain songs not in either phone's wheelhouse it was hit or miss, not bad but not ideal. 660S2 seems legit at home with any genre. It's also surprising how this headphone handles each song technically. The comments in here about the staging/layering/depth are spot on, and then those aspects are sandwiched with 6 series level detail (yes the micro detail is back in this one, where the 660S lacked it). 660S2 takes a part a track and builds it back together technically the way it wants, beautifully. My current chain is Roon ->Modius E -> LP with a Custom Cans Ultra Capacitance cable to the HP.
It's some type of monetary and or numbers game with a lot reviewers. Keep the unbelievers some what justified, the hardcore fans happy and the skeptics interested or undecided.

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #2,877 of 6,501
660S2 w the Cavalli stack

DSC_0674.JPG

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #2,878 of 6,501
I had something rather similar in mind, so I agree - Especially going from the 58x to the 660S2 IMO makes me appreciate the added separation and "3D-ness" of the music a lot. Never easy to put these things into words, but you detailed it rather well!

It really can't be said often enough how nice it is to forget about the technicalities of a headphone once it kinda "disappears" and you're just deep into the music. Especially female vocals lately are just almost too enchanting on the 660S2 to me, it's seriously a joy to listen to all day.

Even if other more expensive headphones may beat them in other areas it feels like the midrange is almost unmatched. It just sounds so full and complete, hard to find anything lacking at all. Dare I say the midrange basically sounds perfect to my ears? :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #2,880 of 6,501
One of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back