Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,881 of 6,558
HD660S2 in the house.

I'm a little underwhelmed so far, but it often takes me a few hours (or longer) to really get the feel for a new headphone, so I'm going to reserve judgement. I wasn't too thrilled with the Atrium at first either, but it really grew on me after about a week or two. Now I think it's pretty spectacular.

So far I'm definitely noticing (not necessarily appreciating, but noticing) the extended bass depth. But something about vocals is not sitting well with me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the 4k dip? Before listening to these I was skeptical that such a high-Q dip in FR would be all that noticeable, but maybe I was wrong and I can hear it? I'll try to figure this out.

I'm also thinking to myself, "now that I have the S2, what was wrong with the OG?" I'm not sure I have a good answer to that question. I still really love the original.

I'll circle back once I've had a little more than 20 mins listening time on these :D

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,882 of 6,558
HD660S2 in the house.

I'm a little underwhelmed so far, but it often takes me a few hours (or longer) to really get the feel for a new headphone, so I'm going to reserve judgement. I wasn't too thrilled with the Atrium at first either, but it really grew on me after about a week or two. Now I think it's pretty spectacular.

So far I'm definitely noticing (not necessarily appreciating, but noticing) the extended bass depth. But something about vocals is not sitting well with me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the 4k dip? Before listening to these I was skeptical that such a high-Q dip in FR would be all that noticeable, but maybe I was wrong and I can hear it? I'll try to figure this out.

I'm also thinking to myself, "now that I have the S2, what was wrong with the OG?" I'm not sure I have a good answer to that question. I still really love the original.

I'll circle back once I've had a little more than 20 mins listening time on these :D
you are probably hearing the broad band upper mid dip and not the 4k suck out.

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #2,883 of 6,558
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original also have that? Going from memory, the 3 things that stood out to me when comparing the 2 FRs was:
1) the bass went lower
2) the treble was extended
3) there was a pretty noticeable 4k dip
I don't remember there being too much difference in the upper mids. I'll need to dig up that comparison graphic again. Will do after I post this message.

Thinking on this a little more, however, if you're going to add bass and treble to a headphone, isn't there a necessary, relative attenuation of the mids?
you are probably hearing the broad band upper mid dip and not the 4k suck out.

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,884 of 6,558
Wow.. I was totally wrong. It was the original that had the larger scoop around 7k, and they had very similar dip around 4k. I actually think I'm hearing this difference around 7k. There seems to be slight bit more edge (in a good way) on the S1.
hd660s2_17.jpg

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #2,885 of 6,558
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original also have that? Going from memory, the 3 things that stood out to me when comparing the 2 FRs was:
1) the bass went lower
2) the treble was extended
3) there was a pretty noticeable 4k dip
I don't remember there being too much difference in the upper mids. I'll need to dig up that comparison graphic again. Will do after I post this message.

Thinking on this a little more, however, if you're going to add bass and treble to a headphone, isn't there a necessary, relative attenuation of the mids?
I don't remember what I said exactly earlier in this thread when I had the 660S2. I think I said broad band dip around upper mid and lower treble - 3-5k range. A high Q suck out is not so easy to hear with music - that's just me.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,886 of 6,558
HD660S2 in the house.

with atrium in your collection there is absolutely no need for 660s2.....

if you try zmf pef pads on 660s2(it amends the 4k dip) you will feel that 660s2 is a poor man‘s atrium

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,887 of 6,558
Do you also look up graphs of ZMF headphones?

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #2,888 of 6,558
with atrium in your collection there is absolutely no need for 660s2.....

You may very well be right about that. The only thing I like about the HD600 series is that they're so damned light and comfortable for all-day WFH sessions. I never wear my ZMFs for that length of time. They're just too big and bulky. I also wear my 6XX and 660S outside while walking the dogs and hanging in the yard quite often. ZMFs aren't really cut out for that.

Right now I'm just not feeling like the S2 is a suitable replacement for the OG. The extended subbass isn't really adding anything to my enjoyment of my music. I hear it, but it's just sort of there. It's not rocking my world or anything.

Again, I could totally do a 180 on these opinions as I spend more time with the S2, but this is where I'm at right now.

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #2,889 of 6,558
Mar 30, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #2,890 of 6,558
You may very well be right about that. The only thing I like about the HD600 series is that they're so damned light and comfortable for all-day WFH sessions. I never wear my ZMFs for that length of time. They're just too big and bulky. I also wear my 6XX and 660S outside while walking the dogs and hanging in the yard quite often. ZMFs aren't really cut out for that.

Right now I'm just not feeling like the S2 is a suitable replacement for the OG. The extended subbass isn't really adding anything to my enjoyment of my music. I hear it, but it's just sort of there. It's not rocking my world or anything.

Again, I could totally do a 180 on these opinions as I spend more time with the S2, but this is where I'm at right now.

Hi, how does it compare to the silver cousin of sennheiser? :D You know what I mean...

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2,891 of 6,558
Uh oh.
Lol..love the baseball analogy. We need an Ohtani moment from Sennheiser.
Sound impressions notwithstanding, it seems the general consensus is that they are overpriced, considering one could get the NDH30 for around the same money, which I haven’t heard classed as overpriced.
But again, if you are rich and a free spender, nothing is overpriced.

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #2,892 of 6,558
Mar 30, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,893 of 6,558
considering one could get the NDH30 for around the same money,
Funny back in January November I was on the fence with the NDH30 to replace my HD660S and then the S2 was announced offering improved bass....then I lucked out on the pre release pricing plus a further discount so definitely an incentive to jump on board as an early adopter, the Neumann would have cost me about $300 more.
Couriosity may have killed the cat but so far the S2 is working out as my perfect compliment to the 800S and then some, the Neumann from what I auditioned sit somewhere in the middle. For a more analytical "studio" listen I've still the AKG K872 and the closed back the HD630VB (the Neumann look alike) so currently all my bases covered, more or less. :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #2,894 of 6,558
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #2,895 of 6,558
Wow.. I was totally wrong. It was the original that had the larger scoop around 7k, and they had very similar dip around 4k. I actually think I'm hearing this difference around 7k. There seems to be slight bit more edge (in a good way) on the S1.
hd660s2_17.jpg

The graph really shows the additional crunch to notes, that leading edge that is really satisfying, bite or whatever you wanna call it.. It's just enough too. I don't find it fatiguing. Senny really did their homework on this pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back