Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jul 20, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,381 of 6,686
Mine might've been open box. The ship date was set for Saturday, and then all of a sudden they arrive on Thursday, 2 days early. No tape on the plastic bag, the papers inside show corner wear, the headphones were not neatly put into the cloth bag. The only thing that made me think they were brand new was the smell lol. But then I think over the past year or so, more and more new-in-box stuff I've been getting has been somewhat hastily assembled. Not a complaint, but it's making it hard to determine if amazon was up to some shady tricks or not.
…. that’s amazongly early …. 👁 👃 🎧 ❌, 🐀 ✅

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,382 of 6,686
I am curiois if hifi stores are allowed to burn them in before they send them out? I am not completly sure any more if mine was wrapped in in plastic. It just came in a paper box. And mine didnt smell brand new

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #4,383 of 6,686
Looking for a usb dac/Amp recommendation for the s2. I don't listen very loudly. But it would be nice use the 4.4 cable when I'm taking the s2 out for work or whatever. Any good pairings?

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #4,387 of 6,686
Slightly off topic. But owning the original hd580, and the newer hd600 version , and a hd660s. Would I also need to pick up a good price new. Hd650. Lol

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #4,388 of 6,686
On the s2 drivers I think the hd6 formula really shines with these new driver materials/designs.

They actually sound similar to the AirPods Max with the AirPods not having as much technical coherence when tracks get more complex. Don’t flame me I actually think the AirPods Max sound better than many wired cans.

Overall for music I can blast just about anything and the dynamics shine through (aided by the excellence blackness levels) for the s2 and I think it will be the signature strength of these cans in the long run.

Bear in mind when testing them that a lot of modern pop is horribly horribly mixed so always audition with tracks that you know really well over the years as a crude form of longitudinal comparison.

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #4,389 of 6,686
No tape on the plastic bag, the papers inside show corner wear, the headphones were not neatly put into the cloth bag.
To put your mind at rest, direct from Sennheiser there is no tape and they are not in the cloth bag.
The only thing that made me think they were brand new was the smell lol.
New smell is everything. lol

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #4,390 of 6,686
I am curiois if hifi stores are allowed to burn them in before they send them out? I am not completly sure any more if mine was wrapped in in plastic. It just came in a paper box. And mine didnt smell brand new
hopefully they didn't smell like bengay! not so funny story. i purchased a used headphone years ago and when they arrived they reeked of bengay/icyhot. like they'd be bathed in it. i complained to the seller to no avail, they went silent and basically said file a claim. lesson learned not to pay with friends and family! thankfully it was not an expensive set. but i was stuck with a headphone that from 3 feet away was cloyingly pungent with bengay. i tried every conceivable deodorization method i could find to no avail. into the trash they eventually went.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #4,391 of 6,686
hopefully they didn't smell like bengay! not so funny story. i purchased a used headphone years ago and when they arrived they reeked of bengay/icyhot. like they'd be bathed in it. i complained to the seller to no avail, they went silent and basically said file a claim. lesson learned not to pay with friends and family! thankfully it was not an expensive set. but i was stuck with a headphone that from 3 feet away was cloyingly pungent with bengay. i tried every conceivable deodorization method i could find to no avail. into the trash they eventually went.
It's usually the pads. Some pads like with the 6x0 series can be washed.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,392 of 6,686
is it just more or is the S2 way more detailed
We won't comment on the competitor mentioned but the S2 is a lot faster than people are used to from the 600 series sound. Detail retrieval-wise, it's not far off from an 800 when you A/B 'em. (virtually everything else is apples vs oranges though haha)
Get off the bench and back into the game, Sennheiser.
You didn't like them, and that's fine. This headphone was deliberately tuned with Head-Fi in mind but to assume it is literally the same with a heavier bass response is factually incorrect. The thread covers the differences quite well, and again, we're not asking you to like them, but it was created to give 600 fans that wanted faster transients and more engaging bass (with a smoother top-end) an offering. It has been one of our best-selling offerings this year. There is no mandate to keep all the 600 series models one has collected, nor is there a mandate to avoid EQ. All that said, why get mad about those that DO want more flavors and choices?
Neumann engineers did it in the NDH 30 with ****ing 560 drivers
This is a bit out of context. There are some shared components from this platform, but it's not a driver swap. The enclosures and couplings all factor into the tuning as well.
Hey Eric. Is there a link to get a replacement HD660s2 cable? They’re the perfect length for ,y desktop setup and I wanted to grab a couple to use with my HD600 and 580 jubilee.
Indeed, although pricing and availability may change based on the region. Click here for the revised parts finder.
Sennheiser takes basically the same plastic housing, ear pads, etc they've been using for decades
A LOT of research and development goes into these components. Each component is chosen to marry comfort and usability with acoustic influence (or lack thereof, ideally). It's about building a platform and making multiple missions off of that platform (diffuse field loudness tuning is the basis of the 600 series)...it is what is known to work. That's why 3rd Party cushions/grilles affect the sound SO much (for better or worse is irrelevant; if you like it, you like it. )
It's an applaudable effort for sure and one that I've developed a deep fondness for.
Thank you very much. The HD 660S2 is the people's HD 6-- series...tuned with the community's feedback in mind.
Made me decide that the s2 is a long term keeper together with my ath-70x and hd580.
We feel it is a future classic. Thx for making it part of your go-to rotation 🙏
Mine was the same, came with plastic around the box.
The packaging MAY or MAY NOT have the poly bag around it. Leaving the factory all HD 660S2 have this bag; it prevents chaffing during shipping inside the master carton. Some retailers may keep the bag or remove it (we hope they keep it) depending on their own operation.
Phew. Both of mine were in plastic bags but not shrink-wrapped. That answers that question. :) I wish they'd add some sort of anti-tamper to their headphone packaging. Maybe a Sennheiser seal or something?
Correct - they are not shrink wrapped. Thank you for the suggestion however--we'll pass this along.
They actually sound similar to the AirPods Max with the AirPods not having as much technical coherence when tracks get more complex. Don’t flame me I actually think the AirPods Max sound better than many wired cans
For so many people the APM is the best they've ever had (casual listener), or for more serious headphone users it sits in the sweet spot of convenience and quality. We'd obviously choose the MOMENTUM 4 (*wink wink*) but the great part about this hobby is that your own ears are the ultimate deciders of what you like. In the broader tech community APM and Airpods are a common benchmark because people are quite familiar with them so its an easy way to translate impressions of what they're going against.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #4,393 of 6,686
Looking for a usb dac/Amp recommendation for the s2. I don't listen very loudly. But it would be nice use the 4.4 cable when I'm taking the s2 out for work or whatever. Any good pairings?
Oh man this is an entire rabbit hole in itself.
I went through a bunch of budget stacks to find the right pairing for the 660S2.
Topping stack, the fiio K7, the JDS atom stack, jds objective O2 DAC + THX 789. Until I finally found the one: the JDS EL Stack II+.
Trust me, if you're to go with any pairing, go for the JDS EL Stack II+ and buy any optical cable from amazon.
We won't comment on the competitor mentioned but the S2 is a lot faster than people are used to from the 600 series sound. Detail retrieval-wise, it's not far off from an 800 when you A/B 'em. (virtually everything else is apples vs oranges though haha)

Thanks, you just saved me a couple thousand :smile:

Also I came here to say I'm selling the HD600 to a friend after 7 years of ownership with it. Its' been good my fellow marble earmuffs o7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back