Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 25, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,776 of 6,561
How is this even listenable without significant EQ? Not to me - waste of a NASA quality driver if you ask me.

index.php

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,777 of 6,561
Just give try he Wayne Knight a listen and use your ears instead of your eyes! 😉

I did listen to them on the same day I did the S1/S2, HD800 etc.

I already stated I thought they were excellent. Very good tool for professionals. I am a big fan of Wayne Knight.

FeminineAlarmedIndri-max-1mb.gif

I'm just saying I don't think it's driver actually outperforms the 800S. It is just tuned very very very very well.

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #2,778 of 6,561
How is this even listenable without significant EQ? Not to me - waste of a NASA quality driver if you ask me.

index.php

Is that the 800 or the 800S?

And when was the 800 or 800S unlistenable? LOL

And my posts were related more to the capability of the driver itself, and not necessarily the final tuning of the headphone.

It is kind of odd more people prefer a 6 series to the 8 series, but that says volumes on them possibly not tuning it properly?

Maybe that shape and pad choice was not the best idea. Perhaps they should have used the driver in a 6 series chassis. I don't know.

There are humans out there that went through the trouble of placing the 800 driver into the 6 chassis, and preferring it.

I like the S2, but I am very very sad they didn't do something more like make the driver angled. Perhaps a smaller version of their more sophisticated driver,.. etc

I like the S2. Sennheiser. 660S2. 2023

Mar 25, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #2,780 of 6,561
Is that the 800 or the 800S?

And my posts were related more to the capability of the driver itself, and not necessarily the final tuning of the headphone.

It is kind of odd more people prefer a 6 series to the 8 series, but that says volumes on them possibly not tuning it properly?

Maybe that shape and pad choice was not the best idea. Perhaps they should have used the driver in a 6 series chassis. I don't know.

There are humans out there that went through the trouble of placing the 800 driver into the 6 chassis, and preferring it.

I like the S2, but I am very very sad they didn't do something more like make the driver angled. Perhaps a smaller version of their more sophisticated driver,.. etc

That was the original 800. It was unlistenable to me.

Mar 25, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #2,781 of 6,561
Amit's take from Singapore CanJam.
I don’t take professional reviewers very seriously as they all have vested interest to say things one way or another depending on their publisher or corporate sponsor requirements.

Mar 25, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #2,782 of 6,561
Well OK, then I understand you, but the fact is that the (just had to check which thread this is….) ‘other headphone’ out performs the 800/S, regardless of what they look like or what their technical capabilities actually are or could/should be. But I’m still not selling my HD 800! 😉 and the ‘other headphone’ is the new king! 😁

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #2,783 of 6,561
That was the original 800. It was unlistenable to me.

Understandable. Though the 800S seemed to have fixed some of the issues.

Engineer who designed it (won't mention his name as it was deemed off topic) in his canjam lecture said that, when a particular headphone was given to a studio professional, they had all the equipment and software necessary to calibrate it to sound like their studio monitors. Which he said was the ideal solution.

So, the 800 driver was very capable enough for the most part with EQ and the right equipment. The problematic spikes were addressed with the resonator I guess. To me, the S anyway is listenable, and quite nice.

I don't see EQ;ing a headphone as a problem. Though it is nice not to have to do it. Plug and play.

Sennheiser 660S2. Sennheiser. 2023. Wayne Knight.

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #2,784 of 6,561
I've been chilling out with my 800S all week.:thumbsup: lol

Not necessarily, it may have to do with $$$$s, folk love to crap on items that are deemed not affordable/unattainable....and then there's wishful thinking. :triportsad:
Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.51.18 PM.png

They did. : )
Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.57.48 PM.png
Amen. : )

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #2,785 of 6,561
I don’t take professional reviewers very seriously as they all have vested interest to say things one way or another depending on their publisher or corporate sponsor requirements.
Is he a professional reviewer, I am not so sure, at least it's not what he makes living from, but I like his take on TOTL and other phones.
Don't know how comparing one Senns to another is shilling, who is he trying to please.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #2,787 of 6,561
Is he a professional reviewer, I am not so sure, at least it's not what he makes living from, but I like his take on TOTL and other phones.
Don't know how comparing one Senns to another is shilling, who is he trying to please.
I would prefer to not get into that. However when a person makes an assertion that one pair of cans is technically (ie according to facts or data) better or worse than another and that person has not measured or referenced any relevant measurements, and that such assertion of technicalities is in contravention with manufacturer‘s own assertion, one would have to conclude that either the person doesn‘t know what he/she is talking about or the person has an agenda, which in either case would make such person’s opinion valueless.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #2,788 of 6,561
I would prefer to not get into that. However when a person makes an assertion that one pair of cans is technically (ie according to facts or data) better or worse than another and that person has not measured or referenced any relevant measurements, and that such assertion of technicalities is in contravention with manufacturer‘s own assertion, one would have to conclude that either the person doesn‘t know what he/she is talking about or the person has an agenda, which in either case would make such person’s opinion valueless.
So we should just take for granted what manufacturer's brochure claims about their "new and improved" reheated soup and not trust own ears or opinions of respected head-fiers?
Tyll also gave his assessment of HD660S a while back, was he a shill too, HD650 used to be his favorite phones?

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #2,789 of 6,561
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #2,790 of 6,561

Users who are viewing this thread

Back