Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #2,791 of 6,561
festivus-for-the-rest-of-us.jpg

Image-12-23-20-at-1.40-PM-1608748878.png

and i hope all of you get a 660S2 made by Sennheiser. The GOAT of mid-fi? Or perhaps, this should transfer to the high end section of the forum?

MV5BYTE2YTY0N2MtY2JjMS00MzAzLWE0NDktOTJmZTRmMDQ5M2E3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzNzczMA@@._V1_.jpg

and I guess Wayne Knight can also move into the high end forum section.

That truly is the prize. To move into that high end part. Then there can be no argument.

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #2,793 of 6,561
Very cheeky Rob!

That is true, can't argue that.

Perhaps, some brave soul can put the new S2 into that.... I don't even know what to call it ... the MOST HATED Sennheiser of all time?
Actually it wasn't hated all that much, Tyll (who I do respect and miss his reviews) didn't like it due to his preferences and measurements, and that was ok, but then the minions who love to regurgitate his gospel without actually hearing the HD700 were set loose on the world, rest is history.....lol

Tyll loved the LCD-2
Audeze LCD-2.png

The HD700 which I really liked. : )
HD700.png
And as I've brought up before... even on the Amazon reviews (not too sure why folks here dismiss them) there were 285 positive to 33 critical.....
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-700-Discontinued-Manufacturer/product-reviews/B0070U8KSM/

Sennheiser have disclosed that the 700 driver was used for the 660S and that in turn was reworked for the S2.

Probably why I like them so...: )

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #2,794 of 6,561
I think that the S2 may have all that it takes to become one of the most loved Sennheisers in a couple of years. No one hates it, this is ridiculous to imply. On the contrary, I can see some "hate" directed elsewhere, for no real reason.

The true value and quality of the HD-660S2 as a real improvement over the S1 and probably all other 6##, is not at the least diminished by the fact that a price "competitor" from the pro world is not even compared with the 6-series anymore. (I will continue in the NDH 30 thread).
However, if internal looks really matter much to some, have a little more sophistication, research and technology:

1679834565165.jpeg

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #2,796 of 6,561
I think that the S2 may have all that it takes to become one of the most loved Sennheisers in a couple of years. No one hates it, this is ridiculous to imply. On the contrary, I can see some "hate" directed elsewhere, for no real reason.

The true value and quality of the HD-660S2 as a real improvement over the S1 and probably all other 6##, is not at the least diminished by the fact that a price "competitor" from the pro world is not even compared with the 6-series anymore. (I will continue in the NDH 30 thread).
However, if internal looks really matter much to some, have a little more sophistication, research and technology:

1679834565165.jpeg
You got that wrong, it was the HD700 which received most hate on HeadFi by a certain person first and then by his followers. He said the treble was so bad he had to rip it off his head, go figure.
I bought one used and found it quite ok, but yes there was a treble peak. The most annoying thing with this headphone was the most stubborn cable you could imagine. I got mine from a pipe smoker, boy did it stink. Took me some time to remove that stink, lol.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #2,797 of 6,561
I believe the discourse originated on the NDH30 thread and for some odd reason migrated over to this thread which is the Sennheiser HD660S2 thread and it was then noted by some, to be unnamed, that one should get the HDH30 as it is superior to the S2, which is basically raining on someone's parade and then it escalated from there.
The two phones as Mike so eloquently described have their own place and serve different preferences and should rest at that.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #2,798 of 6,561
When the presence of an unrelated discussion becomes irksome enough that people who don't even usually post but rather lurk the thread are taking the time to let us know that it's become too bad for them to keep reading it because it isn't even really discussing the topic of the thread anymore, that's a problem. If I went on a prolonged tangential torrent of posts about how the DT-880 / 600 Ohm are still swinging way above their weight in 2023 and continued on that point long enough, I reckon it'd be obnoxious to some users, since this clearly isn't the place for it. One post probably wouldn't be such an obstacle to discussing the topic, but enough of 'em could really pile on and have people rolling their eyes. Now, that's a much lower priced set of cans that isn't fairly considered a true competitor to this new model, but hopefully it illustrates the point. (And, hey, it is a great headphone even still, blows my mind how drivers that were pretty much conceived of by 1980 and still hand made with a by-modern-standards outdated production process can still do such a good job on many particulars I care about - akin to the 600/650 being winners even still, ya know? - but I won't be harping on it further.)

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,799 of 6,561
When the presence of an unrelated discussion becomes irksome enough that people who don't even usually post but rather lurk the thread are taking the time to let us know that it's become too bad for them to keep reading it because it isn't even really discussing the topic of the thread anymore, that's a problem. If I went on a prolonged tangential torrent of posts about how the DT-880 / 600 Ohm are still swinging way above their weight in 2023 and continued on that point long enough, I reckon it'd be obnoxious to some users, since this clearly isn't the place for it. One post probably wouldn't be such an obstacle to discussing the topic, but enough of 'em could really pile on and have people rolling their eyes. Now, that's a much lower priced set of cans that isn't fairly considered a true competitor to this new model, but hopefully it illustrates the point. (And, hey, it is a great headphone even still, blows my mind how drivers that were pretty much conceived of by 1980 and still hand made with a by-modern-standards outdated production process can still do such a good job on many particulars I care about - akin to the 600/650 being winners even still, ya know? - but I won't be harping on it further.)
I agree, and I apologise for any part that I may have played in this. However, as has been said before, there are exceptional reasons why the comparison between the HD660S2 and NDH30 is so obvious and relevant. Not quite the same as introducing another random and unrelated headphone for comparison for no apparent reason.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #2,800 of 6,561
I agree, and I apologise for any part that I may have played in this. However, as has been said before, there are exceptional reasons why the comparison between the HD660S2 and NDH30 is so obvious and relevant. Not quite the same as introducing another random and unrelated headphone for comparison for no apparent reason.
Why not a “HD-660S2 v NDH-30” thread itself? That way, the sink stays in the kitchen … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2,801 of 6,561
Why not a “HD-660S2 v NDH-30” thread itself? That way, the sink stays in the kitchen … 🤷🏻‍♂️
it’s a good idea, but probably a bit late for that now. Unless the mods have the time and the energy to separate all of the posts about each headphone in both threads and combine them into one? I doubt that will happen though.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #2,802 of 6,561
it’s a good idea, but probably a bit late for that now. Unless the mods have the time and the energy to separate all of the posts about each headphone in both threads and combine them into one? I doubt that will happen though.
Could the moderators not rename the existing thread(s)? 🤪

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,803 of 6,561
When the presence of an unrelated discussion becomes irksome enough that people who don't even usually post but rather lurk the thread are taking the time to let us know that it's become too bad for them to keep reading it because it isn't even really discussing the topic of the thread anymore, that's a problem.
I feel seen, hahahaha.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,804 of 6,561
So, 660s owners, would you say the 660s2 has the technicalities of the 660s, but the tonal characteristics of the 6XX/650? To me, that would be the perfect headphone.

I just got a pair of 6XX after owning the 660s and I must say, I'm REALLY enjoying how they sound. So natural and smooth. They don't sound dark to me somehow. They just sound "right". While the 660s can run literal circles around this headphone, I'm really enjoying the 6XX's intimacy and extra low end and a bit more treble sparkle without feeling peaky.

I would also say, the 6XX bass isn't as fluffy as people make it out to be. I still find the bass very detailed, fast and engaging.

I still love my 660s, but I also love the 6XX... guess I'll just rotate between them on occasion. That will make the pads last longer 😉

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #2,805 of 6,561
So, 660s owners, would you say the 660s2 has the technicalities of the 660s, but the tonal characteristics of the 6XX/650?
Not exactly, IMHO the S2 is an improvement over the 660S and 600/650.....to me it just sounds correct, full range, more complete, others may and will differ in opinion but with the S2 I do not see myself ever returning to the 660S or 600/650.
Still if you can audition them all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back