Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #2,746 of 6,723
For me the best one ever, aesthetically, is the original HD580 Precision with the plastic grills and painted model number (instead of the inset badge). That’s probably just nostalgia though as it’s the first one I had, bought new. I changed the plastic grills to metal ones a few years ago, but I changed them back fairly soon. It’s just an iconic look in my opinion.

Personally, and it's from subjective standpoint, the 580, to me, is more "appreciated" then the 660. But that is probably like you said due to other psychological factors like appreciation of what it is (in terms of historical context, artistic grill) etc.

I would imagine if you gathered 100 people who never heard of Sennheiser, and told them to choose the more aesthetically pleasing, 95% would choose the 660 s1/s2 (and possibly one of the newer 600/650) variant over the 580.

I've changed the grill on the 580, but I've always been left feeling guilty. I feel guilty sometimes looking at it's copper ring.

And always I return it to the original grill. I';ve tested numerous times, and I always "feel better" with the 580 grills on, and maybe that is why the music sounds better XD

botg.jpg

(pic for illustrative purposes, it is the same 580 with original grill and 660 grill)

One thing is the 580 can be a crap shoot as the tolerances were not as tight IIRC vs the newer 660S1/S2.

So, in that regard, the new ones are "better technically" in that the drivers match better, the frame seems more robust, the lighter voice coils, and improved diaphragm behaviour.

But the 580 will always have it's place.

Axel confirmed there were "Made in Germany" versions, and there was one pic floating around on head-fi of it.

If money talks, and one of the original 580s popped up, I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid twice what the s2 is now.

But does it make it sound better? I don't know about that. Apparently, it is 10-20% better than the Ireland early revisions (black paper) XD

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #2,747 of 6,723
In my opinion, the HD660S was already a big step up from the HD580/600/650. And the HD660S2 is a big step into the future.
I guess coloured response is the way of the future then. We obviously don’t feel that a neutral, non-sculpted tuning is the way to go. In which case, I’m not sure why everyone is always anxious to see graphs.

A balanced response was a common target in the 80’s and ‘90’s but obviously we’ve become bored with that.

Thank heavens loudspeaker manufacturers still appear to have that original goal in mind 😆

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #2,748 of 6,723
Personally, and it's from subjective standpoint, the 580, to me, is more "appreciated" then the 660. But that is probably like you said due to other psychological factors like appreciation of what it is (in terms of historical context, artistic grill) etc.

I would imagine if you gathered 100 people who never heard of Sennheiser, and told them to choose the more aesthetically pleasing, 95% would choose the 660 s1/s2 (and possibly one of the newer 600/650) variant over the 580.

I've changed the grill on the 580, but I've always been left feeling guilty. I feel guilty sometimes looking at it's copper ring.

And always I return it to the original grill. I';ve tested numerous times, and I always "feel better" with the 580 grills on, and maybe that is why the music sounds better XD

botg.jpg

(pic for illustrative purposes, it is the same 580 with original grill and 660 grill)

One thing is the 580 can be a crap shoot as the tolerances were not as tight IIRC vs the newer 660S1/S2.

So, in that regard, the new ones are "better technically" in that the drivers match better, the frame seems more robust, the lighter voice coils, and improved diaphragm behaviour.

Axel confirmed there were "Made in Germany" versions, and there was one pic floating around on head-fi of it.

If money talks, and one of the original 580s popped up, I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid twice what the s2 is now.

But does it make it sound better? I don't know about that. Apparently, it is 10-20% better than the Ireland early revisions (black paper) XD
The one on the right is ugly af.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #2,749 of 6,723
I don't have to tell anyone here that it's one hell of an engineering problem to make a single driver reproduce the whole spectrum actually flat. Also not a revelation is that we all have different noggins and outer/inner ear geometry, which most certainly influences how headphones couple to our heads and how we perceive their sound (not to mention our hearing just differs, too). I think it makes perfect sense that different folks will gravitate to different headphones and be satisfied.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #2,750 of 6,723
I don't have to tell anyone here that it's one hell of an engineering problem to make a single driver reproduce the whole spectrum actually flat. Also not a revelation is that we all have different noggins and outer/inner ear geometry, which most certainly influences how headphones couple to our heads and how we perceive their sound (not to mention our hearing just differs, too). I think it makes perfect sense that different folks will gravitate to different headphones and be satisfied.
Dude the Internet is no place for logic and rational thought! Now can we please get back to cable debates? :)

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #2,751 of 6,723

botg.jpg

I like the new look of your hd580 better haha. The stock one is too old-looking and toy-looking for my taste. Out of all 6 series I love the look of the hd6xx the most. Massdrop really did a great job to modernize it. I always hate the gloss finish, teeth-shaped headpads, color and the bold big white Sennheiser logo on the hd650. The new hd600, hd660 looks are okay to my eyes however. Sorry for derailing :)

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #2,752 of 6,723
I guess coloured response is the way of the future then. We obviously don’t feel that a neutral, non-sculpted tuning is the way to go. In which case, I’m not sure why everyone is always anxious to see graphs.

A balanced response was a common target in the 80’s and ‘90’s but obviously we’ve become bored with that.

Thank heavens loudspeaker manufacturers still appear to have that original goal in mind 😆
I did write my opinion based on my listening to the headphones mentioned. I did not mention that I decided based on graphs. What is wrong with a proper bass response which is just right, not following the boomy Harman requirement? The new driver is audible faster and there is no deviation from a flat response, no treble peaks and no audible dips to me.

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #2,753 of 6,723
One thing about equipment forums is that we all geek out about the gear. So thought I’d put together a playlist to show where the s2s can really put a smile on your face, or amaze with its technical chops. Hope it does for you what it does for me :)

Best played via Apple Music via an amp with enough power.

The first track of each genre is my top recommend and the bonus track is the one that sums up the s2 for me.

Classical/Instrumentals/Orchestral Scores
1. Destiny…Canneloni and the destiny of Viktor Navoriski - John Williams
2. The Planets Op. 32 IV. Jupiter - Sir Simon Prattle & Berlin Philharmonic
3. Siciliene - Itzhak Perlman & Simon Sanders
4. The Magnificent Seven - Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Country
1. Goodbye Time - Blake Shelton

Electronic
1. Giorgio by Moroder - Daft Punk

Folk
1. American Tune - Allen Toussaint
2. The Blower’s Daughter - Damien Rice

Hip hop
1. Rapp Snitches Knishes (feat. Mr Fantastik) - MF Doom
2. Git Up, Git Out - Outkast

Jazz (not strict with the genre)
1. Nunca vas a comprender - Rita Payes
2. Oracion del remanso - Rita Payes & Elizabeth Roma
3. Your Mind is on Vacation - Mose Allison
4. Solitude (feat. Samara Joy) - Pasquale Grasso

Mandarin/K Pop
1. Moonlight in a city - Mavis Hee
2. Like a Star - Stacey Song

R&B
1. Oh Me Oh My - Aretha Franklin
2. Love on top - Beyoncé

Rock
1. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - Journey
2. Animosity - The Warning

Opera
1. Non Ti Scordar Di Me - Luciano Pavarotti & Henry Mancini (* look for ‘the Pavarotti edition instead of the 50 greatest hits edition)

Voices
1. Vision of Love - Mariah Carey
2. Simple Life - Sarah Alainn

Bonus
Forest Kingdom - Nier Automata (Original Soundtrack)

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #2,754 of 6,723
The one on the right is ugly af.

Yes, it can be hit or miss when you swap components and styles from 1990s and 2020s. I just tried to combine the two. Though it does look better with the 660 shell.

cs1.jpg

I like the new look of your hd580 better haha. The stock one is too old-looking and toy-looking for my taste. Out of all 6 series I love the look of the hd6xx the most. Massdrop really did a great job to modernize it. I always hate the gloss finish, teeth-shaped headpads, color and the bold big white Sennheiser logo on the hd650. The new hd600, hd660 looks are okay to my eyes however. Sorry for derailing :)

I don't mind the small logo of the Sennheiser. I think intially most people were disappointed, but I think it's nice.

I prefer the two pad headband also vs "the teeth-shaped headpads" ... never heard anyone describe them as that. But I call them 2 pad and 4 pad headband.

But there is the look component, and the sound component.

But yeah as a all in one package, can't go wrong with the 660s1/s2. And I think it's ok to experiment a little too, as different clamp, pads, grills can slightly alter the sound.

I think some people they buy a model whether it is 600/650/660 and just immediately hate it. Not realizing it can be "tweaked"

If you like look of S1/S2 but like 650, just take 650 driver and put into new chassis :D or vice versa.

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,755 of 6,723
I did write my opinion based on my listening to the headphones mentioned. I did not mention that I decided based on graphs. What is wrong with a proper bass response which is just right, not following the boomy Harman requirement? The new driver is audible faster and there is no deviation from a flat response, no treble peaks and no audible dips to me.
See, this is what I was trying to draw out. A flat response vs a perceived flat response (which the Harman is not). Is it time to throw out graphs and measurements and just listen? Have fun? Enjoy music? Find something that works and stop searching for something that works “better”, when it’s merely “different”?

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #2,756 of 6,723
I think you’re right in that it is a personal/individual goal, not a single common goal.

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #2,757 of 6,723
I simply do a derivation. IE800-->IE900 and HD600->650->660S-->HD660S2. We know who tuned which headphone. The HD800 is also a headphone which is technically great, but soundwise more or less not totally satisfying. Here they also have a great chance for improvement.
I will wait as long with buying the Neumann as you did with the HD660S if not much longer. Why? Because to me it feels like coming home when I use either the HD660S2 or the IE900. That is exactly the sound I was searching for since 1974. Couldn't be happier.
Hi Peter, I’m genuinely happy for you that you feel that way about the HD660S2. In the end this is all about being connected to the music. If the S2 gives you the musical experience you are looking for then you need look no further. I also completely understand your reasoning with regard to the progression in the tuning of the headphones in the six series. You seem to like the direction that progression has taken since the 650, and I remember you being equally enthusiastic about the HD660S when it arrived. I did, eventually, come to think that on balance the 660S was better than the 650 and 600 overall, but for me it was never as unequivocal an improvement as it evidently was to you.

The thing for me is that the NDH 30 is not a progression from the 650 and 600 or even 660S - it’s a quantum leap. IMO, sonically, it’s a progression of the 800 series, combining all that was good about the musical and natural presentation of the six series with the technical prowess of the 800s, minus the unnatural soundstage and piercing treble, but plus real bass extension and presence. That sounds like the kind of hype that nearly prevented me from trying them, but I’m glad I did. They won’t be for everyone though. If you want a headphone that makes everything sound good in the way that extremely good Hi-Fi speakers do then the S2 will probably be the better choice. Possibly that’s what you’re after? If you want something that gives the totally accurate and yet engaging experience of top quality professional monitors then the NDH 30 would probably be the one.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #2,758 of 6,723
RE:HDVD800
Oh yes, I’d forgotten you were going to get that! Let us know how it fares compared to the Bryston!
Funny, I should be reporting back on how it powers the S2 but I've been spending the time rediscovering my neglected HD800S. Could just be my imagination but I'm noticing improved layering on the HD800S/HDVD800 combo and after few days the highs are sounding rather well behaved with nice bass.
Oh, and it powers the S2 just fine too and simultaneously. : )

Mar 25, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #2,759 of 6,723
RE:HDVD800

Funny, I should be reporting back on how it powers the S2 but I've been spending the time rediscovering my neglected HD800S. Could just be my imagination but I'm noticing improved layering on the HD800S/HDVD800 combo and after few days the highs are sounding rather well behaved with nice bass.
Oh, and it powers the S2 just fine too and simultaneously. : )
I'm pretty sure it can power HD800S, HD660S and HD660S2 just fine simultaneously :wink:
20230227_172258.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,760 of 6,723
I'm pretty sure it can power HD800S, HD660S and HD660S2 just fine simultaneously :wink:
Definitely beneficial to have 2 balanced 4 pin XLR outs, the Bryston only has the one 4 pin XLR and oddly the mono L & R XLRs which were popular at one time.
I did mention suggest to Bryston that maybe they could be replaced with an additional 4 pin XLR and a balanced 4.4 Pentaconn (like on the HDV820) but they mentioned the dual XLR are still fashionable in pro setups. hhhmmm??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back