Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 23, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #2,716 of 6,844
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #2,717 of 6,844
For me the best one ever, aesthetically, is the original HD580 Precision with the plastic grills and painted model number (instead of the inset badge). That’s probably just nostalgia though as it’s the first one I had, bought new. I changed the plastic grills to metal ones a few years ago, but I changed them back fairly soon. It’s just an iconic look in my opinion.

01EFE89A-E512-41E8-AD07-7375AF446329.jpeg

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #2,718 of 6,844
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #2,720 of 6,844
Comparisons such as the one asked for above are far more useful. Listening impressions of a single headphone belong in an appreciation thread and I hope this doesn’t just turn into an HD660S2 appreciation thread. But yes, discussing how headphones look isn’t particularly helpful either…..

I’m interested in the S2, and the impression I have so far (from the three pro video reviewers linked earlier) is that the S2 is a good new Sennheiser six series headphone, but not necessarily better than any of the earlier ones except possibly the S1, which contrasts somewhat with the impressions of many people here who have the S2 who mostly seem to think that it’s clearly the best so far and by a long way.
I would also be interested in more comparisons with other known references.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #2,721 of 6,844
For me the best one ever, aesthetically, is the original HD580 Precision with the plastic grills and painted model number (instead of the inset badge). That’s probably just nostalgia though as it’s the first one I had, bought new. I changed the plastic grills to metal ones a few years ago, but I changed them back fairly soon. It’s just an iconic look in my opinion.

01EFE89A-E512-41E8-AD07-7375AF446329.jpeg
Agree. This was the nicest looking.

I don’t like seeing the “guts” of a headphone from the outside. Grados are another example. You can see the wires and everything.

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #2,722 of 6,844
I actually prefer the look of the HD660s. The white lettering and silver logo look a bit better to me than the bronze of the S2. In fact I think the 660s is the nicest looking headphone out there.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,724 of 6,844
Can somebody compare in depth side by side the HD660S2 with the HD800? thank you (i have hdv820 amp and hd800 , wonder if i need the new HD660S2 or not)
I've owned the 800 three times now, but don't currently have them. I had two of the silver 800 models, and most recently the newer black 800S. I can give you some general ideas how they compare, but can't go too in depth as I don't have an 800 anymore. I do have the S2.

Tonally the S2 is darker, with a pretty significant increase in bass presence and dynamic punch. From memory I don't know if the 800 can go down quite as low as the S2, but if it can it will be much softer sounding than the S2. The S2's bass is powerful, and goes really low.

Up top the 800 is brighter and thinner sounding. The S2's treble has very good presence, but isn't as forward as the 800's. It's also a bit more rounded sounding, not as hard. Smoother would probably be the best way to describe it. I personally found the 800's treble to be fatiguing, but don't find the S2's fatiguing at all.

The mids on the 800 are more forward. I loved the mids on the 800, even though I found them tonally a bit too cool. But they were very present, detailed, and expressive. The mids on the S2 sit farther back in comparison, and are tonally darker. They're also more dynamic and punchy. Vocals are cooler on the 800 but more forward.

Soundstage.... why bother! The 800 IMO is still the soundstage king. The S2 has a similar stage to the other 6 series sets. Good separation and placement, but the stage is small. This is an apples to elephants comparison.

I won't comment much on detail retrieval as I would want them both side by side to test. I do find the S2 to be the most detailed 6 series by a large margin. The jump in overall technical ability is quite large on the S2. Can it match the 800? I won't say without personal testing. But all my other impressions I'm confident in. I've logged MANY hours with my old 800s and know them quite well from an overall tonal perspective.

IMO the S2 would make an excellent complimentary set to the 800, being so tonally different. Also I think the 800 is the more relaxing listen, the S2 more immediate and aggressive (not too aggressive, just in comparison). But that's a subjective judgement call. If you have heard the 650, IMO the S2 is like a modernization of that unit. Similar tonality, but with significantly increased technical ability.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #2,725 of 6,844
Can somebody compare in depth side by side the HD660S2 with the HD800? thank you (i have hdv820 amp and hd800 , wonder if i need the new HD660S2 or not)
Thar's definitely a tall order and I've been doing just that...and I guess one could write pages on the topic.
I'm not going to do that but in a nut shell the S2 compared to the HD800/S would be like putting everything you hear on the 800 but in a more intimate and more damped venue, contrarily though the 800/S has slightly better layering but the S2 has better defined and rounded bass with slightly more impact, the Achilles heel for the 800 series.
Given the differences in physicality of the 2 drivers oddly they can actually sound somewhat similar tonally .....
drivers.png
...but their presentations are as different as the look of the cup, baffle and drivers, no mistaking one for the other.

But I find they both have a legit reason to hang around, they both are capable of playing all genres but there are moments when the recording or mood asks for a more expansive and airy presentation or a warmer and more intimate setting.
I see no reason not to have both. : )

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #2,726 of 6,844
Comparisons such as the one asked for above are far more useful. Listening impressions of a single headphone belong in an appreciation thread and I hope this doesn’t just turn into an HD660S2 appreciation thread. But yes, discussing how headphones look isn’t particularly helpful either…..

I’m interested in the S2, and the impression I have so far (from the three pro video reviewers linked earlier) is that the S2 is a good new Sennheiser six series headphone, but not necessarily better than any of the earlier ones except possibly the S1, which contrasts somewhat with the impressions of many people here who have the S2 who mostly seem to think that it’s clearly the best so far and by a long way.
I would also be interested in more comparisons with other known references.
Agreed. Comparisons to other headphones IMO is critical to understanding it's overall performance. Plus it gives benchmarks to people who've heard the other sets but want to know how the S2 compares. I think what was happening in this thread though is there was a lot of talk of other headphones, but only that headphone, without tying it back to the S2. That's why I think the mods scrubbed the thread. Hopefully as more people buy the S2 we'll see more comparisons. I do agree it's a bit of a love fest so far in this thread, though to be fair the S2 is very good. But more critical comparisons are in order! Too bad I don't have the ZMF Aeolus anymore, I think that would be an awesome comparison, as they're similar tonally and technically, but the S2 is half the price.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #2,727 of 6,844
IMO the S2 would make an excellent complimentary set to the 800,
..of that I can heartily agree.
being so tonally different.
I was wrestling with that one but after direct comparisons I had to admit that tonally, at least to the HD800S there's a strong family resemblance.
Also I think the 800 is the more relaxing listen, the S2 more immediate and aggressive (not too aggressive, just in comparison).
Can't really agree on that at all, I've yet to have the S2 sound aggressive on anything...hhhhhmmm???
The HD800S on the other hand can sometimes sound somewhat annoying. Maybe age related. lol

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #2,728 of 6,844
..of that I can heartily agree.

I was wrestling with that one but after direct comparisons I had to admit that tonally, at least to the HD800S there's a strong family resemblance.

Can't really agree with on that at all, I've yet to have the S2 sound aggressive on anything...hhhhhmmm???
The HD800S on the other hand can sometimes sound somewhat annoying. Maybe age related. lol
Maybe aggressive isn't the right word. I think I'm associating the increased speed of the S2 to aggression. It's more immediate and dynamic. I'm struggling to put into words what I'm hearing, and aggressive is the only thing I can think of that conveys it. To try to put it into a broader perspective, I find the 650 to be very smooth and relaxing overall. It's slower, and though bassy, isn't terribly dynamic and immediate sounding. The S2 is quite the opposite. Notes aren't smooth, they're powerful, fast, and dynamic. That nature manifests itself into the thought of "aggressive" in my mind. But is it really "aggressive"? I'm not sure, I just can't explain it any better haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back