Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 24, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #2,732 of 6,844
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #2,733 of 6,844
Refurb HD660S2 just popped up on Amazon for $499. Sold by Electronics Expo which is a certified Sennheiser seller. Only 3 available right now.

https://www.amazon.com/SENNHEISER-660S2-Audiophile-Headphones-Transducer/dp/B0BYTNMHG3/ref=sr_1_9?crid=38SKHQ4EI5PR0&keywords=hd600&qid=1679672234&sprefix=hd600,aps,94&sr=8-9
Oof is that tempting... I just purchased "the other headphone" 2 days ago, and so have been feeling my newfound love for it (it's a work of art if you care to hear my opinion). But damn do I want to hear the S2. I'm a die-hard fan of the original

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,734 of 6,844
Oof is that tempting... I just purchased "the other headphone" 2 days ago, and so have been feeling my newfound love for it (it's a work of art if you care to hear my opinion). But damn do I want to hear the S2. I'm a die-hard fan of the original
haha we're flying in opposite directions. I started with the S2 but curiosity killed this cat, I'll have the other set inbound. Will give a detailed comparison once I am comfortable with the sound of both. I'll leave impressions of the other in it's thread out of respect to the S2, unless directly comparing. This dam hobby is bankrupting me...

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #2,735 of 6,844
haha we're flying in opposite directions. I started with the S2 but curiosity killed this cat, I'll have the other set inbound. Will give a detailed comparison once I am comfortable with the sound of both. I'll leave impressions of the other in it's thread out of respect to the S2, unless directly comparing. This dam hobby is bankrupting me...
Funny how that works, right? Two days ago I was thinking to myself, curiosity practically eating me alive, if I just get the NDH 30, that will surely quell my appetite for new headphones for a little while, no?

No! of course not.

Now I'm frickin' dying to compare them to the S2. And now they're discounted 100 bucks for refurbs, too?!? damn. I seriously hope all those refurbed units sell out faster than my resolve not to buy cans lasts

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,736 of 6,844
Funny how that works, right? Two days ago I was thinking to myself, curiosity practically eating me alive, if I just get the NDH 30, that will surely quell my appetite for new headphones for a little while, no?

No! of course not.

Now I'm frickin' dying to compare them to the S2. And now they're discounted 100 bucks for refurbs, too?!? damn. I seriously hope all those refurbed units sell out faster than my resolve not to buy cans lasts
Headphones are like beers...what could just one more hurt? :)

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #2,737 of 6,844
...but their presentations are as different as the look of the cup, baffle and drivers, no mistaking one for the other.
800S:S6.jpg
Keep forgetting I've leather pads on my 800S, stock may give a different outcome but my previous 3 stock pairs have all disintegrated so can't do a comparison. : (
Also have some perforated sheep skin in coming for the S6.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #2,739 of 6,844
Headphones are like beers...what could just one more hurt? :)
thanks, pal.
order placed.
luckily I had enough venmo balance to cover a refurbished S2 (that makes it practically free, right?), so I smashed that buy button
I think there are only 2 left now!
see y'all in about a week :D

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,740 of 6,844
thanks, pal.
order placed.
luckily I had enough venmo balance to cover a refurbished S2, so I smashed that buy button
I think there are only 2 left now!
see y'all in about a week :D
Lol..I think one of the refurbished is the one I sent back :sweat_smile: I promise I took care of the cans when I had them - didn't even use the stock cable.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,741 of 6,844
Keep forgetting I've leather pads on my 800S, stock may give a different outcome but my previous 3 stock pairs have all disintegrated so can't do a comparison. : (
Also have some perforated sheep skin in coming for the S6.
With my last 800, the 800S, I got some leather Dekoni pads (forget if they were solid or perforated), and they most definitely changed the sound profile to my ears. The bass got a decent lift, making it thicker sounding, but the treble also seemed a bit accentuated, which I didn't like. Stock I find the 800 bright, so anything that amplifies the treble is a no go for me. Mids were pretty good, and overall I liked what the leather pads did, if it wasn't for the treble. i'm super treble sensitive though so i'm an outlier.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,742 of 6,844
Comparisons such as the one asked for above are far more useful. Listening impressions of a single headphone belong in an appreciation thread and I hope this doesn’t just turn into an HD660S2 appreciation thread. But yes, discussing how headphones look isn’t particularly helpful either…..

I’m interested in the S2, and the impression I have so far (from the three pro video reviewers linked earlier) is that the S2 is a good new Sennheiser six series headphone, but not necessarily better than any of the earlier ones except possibly the S1, which contrasts somewhat with the impressions of many people here who have the S2 who mostly seem to think that it’s clearly the best so far and by a long way.
I would also be interested in more comparisons with other known references.

As I said earlier, I don't think there is necessarily a "better" 6X0, just different flavours. I think Sennheiser ****ed up by calling these things the 660S2 as it positions it as a sequel to the 660S. I truly don't get the impression that there is any competition in mind when it comes to this series of headphones. They all have plenty in common, but they're different takes on the formula and I see no reason they can't coexist. Right now if you asked me which I'd choose to just sit and listen to music, I'd take the S2 without hesitation. Someone else will take the 600, and another the 650. None of us would be "right" in our choice, and as I also keep saying, I still love and have use for my 650.

In terms of other comparisons, my brain always goes to the more entry level ZMF stuff when I put the S2 on. It doesn't have the enveloping warmth of the Atticus, but it's got the added zip up top and down low that I find all ZMF's to have. The way they render drums and electric guitars is just awesome, which previously was my favourite part of the Atticus. There's still something to be said for the way drums rattle around those closed wooden cups, but the S2 is the most enjoyable open back presentation for such things I think I've had. The sound isn't quite as thick as those, or the Aeolus, but it's got the same life to it.

Compared with my HD800S I find the S2 feels just as detailed; something the 650 does not in A/B comparisons, but the soundstage is completely different. The 800S is thinner and more spread out. Both the 800S and S2 sound a tad colder than the 650, but are still all pretty warm headphones. I agree with others that the S2 is a good pairing with the 800 or 800S for contrast. I just can't personally keep all these headphones around and will be moving mine to make room for the S2 to stay.

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #2,743 of 6,844
In my opinion, the HD660S was already a big step up from the HD580/600/650. And the HD660S2 is a big step into the future. They took the improved technicalities of the HD660S, combined it with a new developed membrane material and a fine tuned coil/magnet combo and fresh ears for the final sound tuning. Thus they created something which will last and secure the brands place in the headphone world. The same jump in sound quality can also be found in the IE900, the HD560 and as per the driver in the Neumann ndh 30 only that good old Mr Grell did the sound tuning. I prefer Jermo K's team effort tuning though.

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #2,744 of 6,844
In my opinion, the HD660S was already a big step up from the HD580/600/650. And the HD660S2 is a big step into the future. They took the improved technicalities of the HD660S, combined it with a new developed membrane material and a fine tuned coil/magnet combo and fresh ears for the final sound tuning. Thus they created something which will last and secure the brands place in the headphone world. The same jump in sound quality can also be found in the IE900, the HD560 and as per the driver in the Neumann ndh 30 only that good old Mr Grell did the sound tuning. I prefer Jermo K's team effort tuning though.
Well, you really have to hear ‘that headphone’, that’s all I can say. Check out some of the recent posts on ‘that other thread’! 😉

Or as you’ve said that you prefer Jermo K’s team effort to Axel Grell’s tuning perhaps you have heard them, otherwise how could you make that statement?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #2,745 of 6,844
Well, you really have to hear ‘that headphone’, that’s all I can say. Check out some of the recent posts on ‘that other thread’! 😉

Or as you’ve said that you prefer Jermo K’s team effort to Axel Grell’s tuning perhaps you have heard them, otherwise how could you make that statement?
I simply do a derivation. IE800-->IE900 and HD600->650->660S-->HD660S2. We know who tuned which headphone. The HD800 is also a headphone which is technically great, but soundwise more or less not totally satisfying. Here they also have a great chance for improvement.
I will wait as long with buying the Neumann as you did with the HD660S if not much longer. Why? Because to me it feels like coming home when I use either the HD660S2 or the IE900. That is exactly the sound I was searching for since 1974. Couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back