Sennheiser HD 650 smell
Dec 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I recently got a next-to-new pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. There seems to be an odd smell from the ear pads and the HD 650 box - is it just my pair or has anyone else experienced this with the HD 650 and the like?

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 22
LOL! I received my brand new pair yesterday and yes I know the smell you're referring to. It kinda smells like vomit but is no doubt a remnant of the manufacturing process (I hope)!

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 22
What? Why would I lick it? LOL! Maybe vomit is too strong a description. It certainly has that new from the factory smell.

I received another item last week that had this same smell. Both originated from the US. Maybe it's something USPS is doing to these packages!
eek.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 22
My used ones smelled weird too... it's sort of like an old electronics smell. It seems to be on the foam in the case as well (or that's where it originates). I just washed the foam and pads with laundry detergent, and now they smell like morning breeze... or whatever.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 22
That chemical smell is from the foam inside the box. My HD650 has no trace of that smell. I place it on my Woo Audio stand rather than storing it in the box.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 22
I've made everyone sick here about this, but yes, I feel it's my duty to CONFIRM THE AWFUL SMELL emanating from our friends at Stinkheiser.

I recently picked up a Sennheiser HD 650 and I feel better now that I have found a family of like-minded individuals put off by the stink.
*group hug*

I really feel Stinky Box Syndrome is a terrible thing to face when you've just decided to trust a company with your hard-earned several hundred dollars. In fact, terrible stink is bad all the time, let alone a first encounter.

Shocking that the company doesn't seem to care about this, and that is passed QC.

See my lovely Stinkheiser image here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread/4650#post_7843542

Peace brothers.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 22
found this pic of the Sennheiser experts at the early stages designing the new 650 box. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back