Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #4,981 of 23,458
Alright, I just got my Aune T1 (with an Amperex OG on the way) but I'm interested in trying out a different amp with my HD600's (still using the Aune as a DAC). I have a budget of around $150, so would you guys recommend the O2, or is there some other lesser-known amp that performs better for the price?

I mostly use them for alt rock, prog metal, indie, classical, and jazz.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #4,982 of 23,458
In that price bracket (or at least, reasonably close thereto), I quite like my JDS Labs c421, which has since been replaced by the c5 (which I haven't tried). The bass boost on the c421 works pretty well with the HD600s, and helps compensate for the loss in bass impact when using the HD600s with a solid state amp. Which is a long way of saying: consider the c5.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #4,983 of 23,458
In that price bracket (or at least, reasonably close thereto), I quite like my JDS Labs c421, which has since been replaced by the c5 (which I haven't tried). The bass boost on the c421 works pretty well with the HD600s, and helps compensate for the loss in bass impact when using the HD600s with a solid state amp. Which is a long way of saying: consider the c5.

Many people advised C421 over C5 for HD 600, even Headfonia. But C421 only can get the used one right? Using Aune T1, tube DAC, SS amp and I don't feel lack of bass. Having fun time with EDM, FPS game, and action movie.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #4,984 of 23,458
  Alright, I just got my Aune T1 (with an Amperex OG on the way) but I'm interested in trying out a different amp with my HD600's (still using the Aune as a DAC). I have a budget of around $150, so would you guys recommend the O2, or is there some other lesser-known amp that performs better for the price?

I mostly use them for alt rock, prog metal, indie, classical, and jazz.

Share with me what amp you get later. I was in the same boat with you, same genre. Some advised me Shonyun 306A, and JDS Labs C421, C5. Little Dot MK III in my list too. Too bad I don't have the chance to try them all.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #4,988 of 23,458
They run for $250 new on eBay. Is there a classifieds forum that might have some sellers?

Also I'm considering just dropping $350 on the Schiit Valhalla. Someone talk me out of it.

$186
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VERSION-Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-OPA2134-Silver-/140918273997?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item20cf6237cd

$188
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VERSION-Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-OPA2134-Black-/140974688182?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item20d2bf07b6

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4,989 of 23,458
  Better than O2?

Yes, definitely. I don't know if it would measure better objectively, but the sound is much more engaging and refined. See John's review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent

They run for $250 new on eBay. Is there a classifieds forum that might have some sellers?

Also I'm considering just dropping $350 on the Schiit Valhalla. Someone talk me out of it.

Keep an eye on the forum here. I don't see one available right now as they do tend to sell pretty quickly but they do crop up regularly.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #4,991 of 23,458
http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/graham-slee-novo-headphone-amplifier

If u can find one on the resale market, this NOVO is an excellent amp to pair the hd600,
the sound takes on an airy quality that is hard to beat. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #4,992 of 23,458
  For $150 or so you could get a used Matrix M-Stage. Excellent amp.

It's spec's for 200 mW at 300 Ohms. That should drive the HD600 to 120 db SPL. That should be more than loud enough, kapow. If it meets the spec's I've seen it should work out well.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #4,993 of 23,458
  It's spec's for 200 mW at 300 Ohms. That should drive the HD600 to 120 db SPL. That should be more than loud enough, kapow. If it meets the spec's I've seen it should work out well.

The HD600 are pretty sensitive. It's unlikely that you'd need to go past 12 o'clock at 0 dB gain and 9 o'clock at 10 dB gain... and the gain switches go up to 20 dB.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #4,994 of 23,458
  http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/graham-slee-novo-headphone-amplifier

If u can find one on the resale market, this NOVO is an excellent amp to pair the hd600,
the sound takes on an airy quality that is hard to beat. 

I already found my end game for hd600. Else i would get the NOVO
 Shoott...this can really raise the bar so high  as a means to seriously engage me and the music

It forces me to invest in high quality NOS tubes such as the cca  post 1965 & Mullard Micham gold pin & dhc complement fusion for my hd800
 just to get on par with this hd600. Not to mention making my own powercord & playing around  with the dedicated  powerline . Spending like 5 hrs straight of critical listening for the flaws & how to improve hd800  becoming a norm to me. It is also a routine for me ending up nothing positive 
mad.gif

Having said that, the best experience i have when listening to HD600 is when i listened to Nathan Pacheko  hitting that unbelievable chorus in his song (Adagio)   at Yanni in Aculpolco concert.    Yanni did claim that Nathan was the voice of that song & he, without a doubt,  was absolutely spot on . Honestly, I did not understanding a thing in the lyrics but i felt "it"   . Listening to the sing thru  my hd600 concurred this,  PERIOD. . i will never ever forget this experience.EVER . i honestly felt my soul so heavenly uplifted up to a point that i wished i have the same feeling before i take my last breath on earth. I kid  you not .

Hd600 will never give you that high end sound which richly associated with the  big guns of headphones . So don't put the astronomical effort to prove this one wrong. But , push the limit of this can to deliver musicality at its best.  Without high end set up, it can even beat the so called high end headphones in terms of musicality  . "If you look for high end, you may end up in no end. If you look for musicality you may end up in nirvana." a quote from one my audiophile friend - i trust him before but now i believe him.

I am not a guy who wanted to listen to beautiful music or  amazing music with no life of its own, I know what it felt to see music like you see something  tv , Been there & done that.  Music without emotion to me is  like standing in front a  great monumental statue , witnessing  its magnificent sculpture , no offense.  It wow me  the first time, but it lost the "X" factor the following days .

I believe any good rig with "right"  combo can deliver a very engaging music experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back