Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4,966 of 23,464
Separate or together, it doesn't matter. He wants an AMP and a DAC. You recommended only a DAC - no AMP.

Oh, nevermind....
deadhorse.gif

I recommended the Little Dot MKIII. 
atsmile.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #4,967 of 23,464
I bet he's wishing he never asked.. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #4,968 of 23,464
I'm back. Got them around 4 PM local time (CST -6GMT).  Some good suggestions so far.  I might get the schiit triple stack (magni, modi, vali) or the o2 + odac combo.  I won't be getting them for at least 3 weeks anyway (gotta have money first), although if I wait til next year I might be able to swing the money for a bifrost/lyr combo.  I'm really enjoying the HD600s so far; only complaint was the initial clamping force when I first put them on.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4,970 of 23,464
Something from the vali thread. Basically the idea is to have both a tube and solid state amp for different audio signatures. You know, kind of like how some people have different headphones for different genres of music.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #4,972 of 23,464
  I'm back. Got them around 4 PM local time (CST -6GMT).  Some good suggestions so far.  I might get the schiit triple stack (magni, modi, vali) or the o2 + odac combo.  I won't be getting them for at least 3 weeks anyway (gotta have money first), although if I wait til next year I might be able to swing the money for a bifrost/lyr combo.  I'm really enjoying the HD600s so far; only complaint was the initial clamping force when I first put them on.

Gently bend the metal part on the headband to relieve some of the clamp. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4,975 of 23,464
  I thought that it wasn't so much an issue of what the impedance is but whether the sensitivity is high or not. But I get confused about this stuff...

I don't understand it fully either, but I think the idea is that the impedance of your headphone should be many times higher than the output impedance of the amp, and the Vali has pretty high output impedance. The HD600 is pretty high impedance but they're also pretty sensitive. So if the Vali will only pair well with low sensitivity headphones then it won't be good for the HD600, but I suspect that's not the case.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #4,976 of 23,464
  I don't understand it fully either, but I think the idea is that the impedance of your headphone should be many times higher than the output impedance of the amp, and the Vali has pretty high output impedance. The HD600 is pretty high impedance but they're also pretty sensitive. So if the Vali will only pair well with low sensitivity headphones then it won't be good for the HD600, but I suspect that's not the case.

Yeah, I thought high impedence with high sensitivity is a good match w/ the Vali or low impedance with low sensitivity is a good match, too, but that low impedance and high sensitivity (like most iems) is bad. That was my understanding... But I've asked the question a couple times on the the Vali thread and haven't quite figured it out. It seems like its really good with planars, should be good w/ the 300 ohm HD6** but the general consensus is that it will not be good with iems. But I'm waiting to see how Schiit actually markets it. I would LOVE for it to be a poor man's Crack. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,977 of 23,464
It should sound great with the HD600/650/800, T50RPs mods Paradox, Alpha Dog, BMF, etc.), HE-400/500, LCD-2 (?).. it probably doesn't have the grunt for the HE-6 (but nothing can drive those.. LOL).  Purrin's mentioned that the HE-500 and other slightly more demanding (sensitivity) orthos tend to pair well with the Vali b/c their ability to mitigate the Vali's slightly higher noise floor.  High impedance dynamics (HD600, HD800, the high z Beyers) should sound great cause the Vali's slightly higher output impedance won't fall below 'ideal' damping factors.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #4,978 of 23,464
I had my HD600 for over a year now, probably giving them 4-5 ours of love everyday... My pads is quite flat now, 1-2 centimeters, and my wonders go to if it changes the sound sig much if i get new pads. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #4,979 of 23,464
  I had my HD600 for over a year now, probably giving them 4-5 ours of love everyday... My pads is quite flat now, 1-2 centimeters, and my wonders go to if it changes the sound sig much if i get new pads. 

My advice would be to buy some new pads and then stretch the headband (bending the metal part). This will relieve the clamp and help keep the pads in shape. There is a larger soundstage when the pads aren't squashed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back