Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #4,697 of 23,448

All thanks to the increased dynamic range of current digital cameras, or processing. In a room that one might keep darker than usual to minimize stimuli that distract from listening, it can be anywhere from subtle blue to black - the marble effect doesn't really come out unless you're looking at it up close.

That's what I did to reduce the color saturation - limiting light entering the room and using exposure time to compensate. I have been pretty successful taking most of my gear shots with that trick, especially when my camera is a simple P&S.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4,698 of 23,448

That's what I did to reduce the color saturation - limiting light entering the room and using exposure time to compensate. I have been pretty successful taking most of my gear shots with that trick, especially when my camera is a simple P&S.

I HDR all my audio gear shots, but I process them differently from outdoor/landscape shots. Audio equipment I tend to "flatten" a bit (but still jumps out), but of course on landscapes etc I tend to bump up the saturation a little bit.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #4,699 of 23,448

Yeah, Sennheiser really needs to upgrade their quality control measures to keep grain out of their cables. That or build a factory further away from those barley and buckwheat farms. 

LOL! 

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #4,700 of 23,448

Oh how I wish I have the skills and the guts to cauterize my own cable.

Honestly, unless you're doing a repair or wiring a cable for an amp that requires balanced cables or split grounds the one that came with the HPs are perfectly fine. I'm an EE and in the day when Electronic Music Synthesizers were analog computers, I used to design and modify them for big shot musicians. IMO unless your HPs came with crappy cables, you're wasting your money. The factors of resistance, capacitance and inductance are not there with significant values that will affect audio frequencies. Wires have no issues with linearity either. I couldn't imagine them having some other magical properties other than самогон that can affect audio frequencies. Although you can try rubbing some zelenka (green) on them - lol.

I know that cables can be a contentious issue but the same science that brings us pacemakers, DAPs and HPs are at play here.Though I always say, "If it brings someone joy, who am I to deny them their pleasure?" Considering how expensive they can get, IMO you could get more pleasure spending your money on more or better gear. And I do have a problem taming the urge for more stuff.

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4,701 of 23,448

Honestly, unless you're doing a repair or wiring a cable for an amp that requires balanced cables or split grounds the one that came with the HPs are perfectly fine. I'm an EE and in the day when Electronic Music Synthesizers were analog computers, I used to design and modify them for big shot musicians. IMO unless your HPs came with crappy cables, you're wasting your money. The factors of resistance, capacitance and inductance are not there with significant values that will affect audio frequencies. Wires have no issues with linearity either. I couldn't imagine them having some other magical properties other than самогон that can affect audio frequencies. Although you can try rubbing some zelenka (green) on them - lol.

I know that cables can be a contentious issue but the same science that brings us pacemakers, DAPs and HPs are at play here.Though I always say, "If it brings someone joy, who am I to deny them their pleasure?" Considering how expensive they can get, IMO you could get more pleasure spending your money on more or better gear. And I do have a problem taming the urge for more stuff.

True that, I myself don't think that expensive cables will make a significant improvement in sound, let alone an audible difference. I just want something shorter and more solidly-built than the flimsy ones that came with the HD600, which leaves me to either DIY my way into reterminating or buying a "cheap" custom cable. Shame that I missed out on a 6-ft custom cable for $50 which is a pretty good price for the craftsmanship put into it, so I'm still lurking for deals at the moment.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4,704 of 23,448
Yeah, Sennheiser really needs to upgrade their quality control measures to keep grain out of their cables. That or build a factory further away from those barley and buckwheat farms. 

will someone please think of the chenopodium quinoa? :frowning2:

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #4,706 of 23,448
Sorry, but the chenopodium quinoa is a pseudocereal; not a true grain.

Take it up with Peru, they're the ones drying it out and making bread with it.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4,708 of 23,448

LOL! 
biggrin.gif

I've got a soldering iron...............
wink_face.gif
  and I know how to use it.
Looking at the prices, I could quit my day job and make cables.

I've got a soldering iron, but I don't know how to use it.
What bulk cable is a good match for the HD600?

All thanks to the increased dynamic range of current digital cameras, or processing. In a room that one might keep darker than usual to minimize stimuli that distract from listening, it can be anywhere from subtle blue to black - the marble effect doesn't really come out unless you're looking at it up close.

It's got nothing to do with dynamic range. Consumer cameras bump up the colour saturation of your shots so that they look more colourful and impressive, and consumers tend to like that. It's like how they bump up the colour in demos of TVs in stores.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4,709 of 23,448
Seriously though, if you don't think the HD600 has some graininess (along with every other dynamic headphone) just try them next to some Stax.

biggrin.gif

I noticed grain before I tried the Stax 407 and once I compared them side by side it was obvious that the grain i was hearing was indeed there. It was there in every dynamic headphone I have. The TH-600 I demoed seemed particularly grainy for such a high end 'phone. I'm not saying it didn't sound bloody great because it did. :wink:

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #4,710 of 23,448
In fact, while I'm on the topic of the TH-600, mind you I haven't heard the HD800 or T1 yet, but the TH600 had the deepest, most realistic, and most immersive and enjoyable soundstage I've ever heard. My new K712s seem like they might have a very slightly wider stage but the depth isn't there. I absolutely loved the soundstage on the TH-600, every one of my 'phones would be better if they had that kind of soundstage. I guess this is the downside to trying out really great gear, you realize what you're missing. But I still enjoy all of my cans as much as I ever did, I just have a better idea of what is possible and what I prefer. I can't wait to hear the HD800...

Anyway... back to the HD600's. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back