Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #3,796 of 23,431
Quote:
The original comment was in the context of small amps like the Apogee Duet or IFI iCan. I can't find a power rating for the Duet but the iCan is rated at 400 mW into 32 Ohms. A 300+ Ohms load like the HD600 is doable, but will definitly drop that power output into double-digit territory. And if you talk about something like the Fiio E17 or iPod with no amp, just forget about it.

Technically higher is better, but in the end it's what we hear that matters. I was choosing between the iCan and the Asgard 2(380mW into 300ohm), so i went to listen to the A2 since a local store had them. I even brought my current gear there so I can compare the differences. All I could distinguish within that limited time and using what limited music I had was wider soundstage and slightly better bass response which was good, but I couldn't justify the price tag for them. In the end i got the iCan because it's almost comparable to the A2, has attractive functions, and I had an opportunity to get them at 2/3 of the retail price brand new, though i got the older version of it.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #3,797 of 23,431
Technically higher is better, but in the end it's what we hear that matters. I was choosing between the iCan and the Asgard 2(380mW into 300ohm), so i went to listen to the A2 since a local store had them. I even brought my current gear there so I can compare the differences. All I could distinguish within that limited time and using what limited music I had was wider soundstage and slightly better bass response which was good, but I couldn't justify the price tag for them. In the end i got the iCan because it's almost comparable to the A2, has attractive functions, and I had an opportunity to get them at 2/3 of the retail price brand new, though i got the older version of it.

lol more soundstage and bass... exactly what the two switches on the iCan address :D

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #3,799 of 23,431
Quote:

lol more soundstage and bass... exactly what the two switches on the iCan address :D

Exactly. The only problem(?) is that the 3D setting adds to the treble. Initially I was disappointed because that made some songs too sharp, but it became a non-issue(as of yet) after burn-in

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,800 of 23,431
Quote:
Exactly. The only problem(?) is that the 3D setting adds to the treble. Initially I was disappointed because that made some songs too sharp, but it became a non-issue(as of yet) after burn-in

Wouldn't more treble be a good thing? The HD600 is pretty relaxed in the treble compared to other neutral headphones. Of course you were probably hearing some harshness before burn-in, so if that's no longer an issue then great 
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #3,801 of 23,431
the HD600 loses a little of the natural sound, but nothing to complain about 
bigsmile_face.gif
 with the 3D, it becomes a treble-focused headphone, like the DTs(though I never heard one, I imagine they would sound like this)

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,805 of 23,431
Is there anyone here willing to part with their HD600 for "student pricing"?

My apartment got broken into, and they stole my HD600 and Asgard..among other things. I bought a vintage receiver on ebay for $27 as a replacement amp, now I just need to replace the HD600.

Send me a PM if so 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,808 of 23,431
i returned the magni/modi and went with the o2/odac... didn't like the magni/modi AT ALL.. i said in another thread that the best way i could explain it was that it turned my music into a techno/dance club, fast and energetic which i'm not a fan of (i don't like to use alot of terms because i don't know exactly what they mean but "bright" could also be an accurate description from my point of view) and most of my music is slower/romantic.
(that's not to say it's bad or others wouldn't like it, just wasn't for me)

so far i'm liking the o2/odac more although it doesn't seem to add anything special in terms of a drastic change to the natural sound, it's basically just whatever the song is which is a bit boring but i don't mind really, . guess i now know what people mean by "neutral" when describing it.

My apartment got broken into, and they stole my HD600 and Asgard..among other things. I bought a vintage receiver on ebay for $27 as a replacement amp, now I just need to replace the HD600.
dang that sucks!

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3,809 of 23,431
You don't really want an amp to have a sound of its own because when an amp lets through "whatever the song is" as you say, it's much more versatile and can be paired with any headphone. Let the DAC and amp be transparent, and let the headphones and/or source EQ colour the sound in the way you want.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,810 of 23,431
Quote:
You don't really want an amp to have a sound of its own because when an amp lets through "whatever the song is" as you say, it's much more versatile and can be paired with any headphone. Let the DAC and amp be transparent, and let the headphones and/or source EQ colour the sound in the way you want.

true, i wouldn't mind if it added a sound coloring if i already had a neutral sounding one as the foundation just to switch things up now and again.
that's sort of what i plan to do... to use this o2/odac for the more neutral sound experience and then to go with a tube for a different sound to switch things up... i can then just easily switch the o2 amp and a tube amp and then keep the odac hooked up, figured this would keep things interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back