Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #3,766 of 23,458
i had a chance to buy a mouse ear... now that u mentioned its a good match, i should look out for one. 
beerchug.gif

these tubes are cuteeeeeeee

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3,767 of 23,458
Quote:
Schiit Asgard 2 is a great option. 

Thanks alot. I have decided in my case to go with the Asgard 2. Partly because I think I prefer a cleaner more neutral sound, but more so because I will make use of the pre amp output. Latter on I might try one of their DAC's too, we will see. I hear good things about this Schiity stuff :wink:

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,769 of 23,458
Quote:
I currently have the matrix m and a pair of fostex t50rp's modded by mayflower. This is my first
attempt and it sounds good but the cans are heavy and I am not sure I like the closed in feeling.
With that said I just ordered the 600's be here Friday and I want a tube amp. I think I have narrowed 
it down to the ld mkivse, or woo wa3 or 6. Any thoughts? 
thanks

I have never listened to WA series. I suppose they are pretty awesome amps, of course at a decent price. I love the look of WA7 BTW.

If I were you, I would just order little dot mk3 for the sake of price.

I actually talked to Mr. Yang (the guy who designed the little dot series) before placing the order and he told me Mk3 is definitely enough for my purpose of driving HD600. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #3,770 of 23,458
Quote:
Thanks alot. I have decided in my case to go with the Asgard 2. Partly because I think I prefer a cleaner more neutral sound, but more so because I will make use of the pre amp output. Latter on I might try one of their DAC's too, we will see. I hear good things about this Schiity stuff :wink:

Good choice, you will be pleased I am sure.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,771 of 23,458
I just recently picked up a Objective 2 and like how it is less dark than the Fiio E09K, especially w/ the HD600. And yet... its feeling a little pudgy in the bass, lacking shape and impact. Are there any O2 fans out there who have found an amp that improves the bass while keeping a similar presentation and tone to the O2? 

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #3,772 of 23,458
For the short time that I had the Magni, it powered the HD600s pretty nicely, slightly bright so it brought out the highs more and it has lots of power behind it. The main issue that I had with it was that at 5x gain, I think, there's very little headroom on the knob so you'll need to either get attenuators or turn down the source volume. To be honest, there wasn't a lot of headroom either when plugging in my DT880 600ohms. I had to set the dac(modi) volume down via windows volume control.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3,773 of 23,458
Quote:
For the short time that I had the Magni, it powered the HD600s pretty nicely, slightly bright so it brought out the highs more and it has lots of power behind it. The main issue that I had with it was that at 5x gain, I think, there's very little headroom on the knob so you'll need to either get attenuators or turn down the source volume. To be honest, there wasn't a lot of headroom either when plugging in my DT880 600ohms. I had to set the dac(modi) volume down via windows volume control.

At this point, I still prefer the O2 to the Magni. The Magni wasn't bad but I did find it bright. I didn't sense it did as a good job with bass impact as did the SR71a or Neco Soundlab V3 I had at the time...

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,774 of 23,458
I found that it paired well for me. My other amps are more neutral/warm so it was a change of pace. Ultimately, I preferred the dt880 and that didn't synergize well with the magni. Way too bright of a combo. Maybe a lake people g103/109?

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3,775 of 23,458
Quote:
At this point, I still prefer the O2 to the Magni. The Magni wasn't bad but I did find it bright. I didn't sense it did as a good job with bass impact as did the SR71a or Neco Soundlab V3 I had at the time...

To be fair the Magni is significantly cheaper than either of the amps you mentioned. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #3,776 of 23,458
I was listening to the HD600 on the latest Apogee Duet (Mac/IOS version) a couple of days ago and it sounds superb. I don't understand why some people say the Duet is not powerful enough to run the 600. There's plenty of volume and a sense of full control. 
I used to run a pair of HD650 from a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 and, if anything, the HD600/Duet combo seems better than anything I recall hearing from the earlier setup.
The output impedence of the Duet is 32 Ohms. With the 1/8th rule that gets quoted here quite a lot, that should be a decent match for the 300 Ohm Sennheiser shouldn't it?

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #3,777 of 23,458
Quote:
To be fair the Magni is significantly cheaper than either of the amps you mentioned. 

Exactly! I was looking for an upgrade to the O2, not a lateral. I think the Magni is more of a lateral, with some of the same weaknesses. I was wondering if there was an upgrade in the area of bass w/o spending much more than the O2. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #3,778 of 23,458
Quote:
I just recently picked up a Objective 2 and like how it is less dark than the Fiio E09K, especially w/ the HD600. And yet... its feeling a little pudgy in the bass, lacking shape and impact. Are there any O2 fans out there who have found an amp that improves the bass while keeping a similar presentation and tone to the O2? 

That makes sense. The Fiio "house sound" is on the warm side - although some of their products are warmer than others. O2 is a very neutral amp, a little on the leaner side if anything. Matrix M-Stage would probably be a good upgrade, and sounds a lot more expensive than it is. It's very slightly warmer than the O2, but still uncoloured enough to be considered neutral.

Quote:
I was listening to the HD600 on the latest Apogee Duet (Mac/IOS version) a couple of days ago and it sounds superb. I don't understand why some people say the Duet is not powerful enough to run the 600. There's plenty of volume and a sense of full control. 
I used to run a pair of HD650 from a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 and, if anything, the HD600/Duet combo seems better than anything I recall hearing from the earlier setup.
The output impedence of the Duet is 32 Ohms. With the 1/8th rule that gets quoted here quite a lot, that should be a decent match for the 300 Ohm Sennheiser shouldn't it?

I haven't heard them together but the Duet is a bit on the bright side, which should pair quite well the HD600 which has somewhat laid back treble, hence the notorious "Sennheiser veil" which IMO is an exaggeration. And the HD600 is not a challenging headphone to drive. It's low impedance and isn't picky with amps either.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #3,780 of 23,458
Quote:

Which HD600 are you talking about? The HD600 I know and love is made by Sennheiser and is definitely a high impedance headphone that demands a relatively powerful headphone amp to shine.

Actually to be fair - I'd agree with blueangel with this one.  The HD600 - despite being 300 ohms - is actually pretty sensitive (older specs show 97dB/mW - have read elsewhere that this may be as high as 102 dB/mW for later models).

So they are relatively easy to drive - even sounding spectacular straight out of a lowly iPhone 4.

However I do agree with you - that they scale even better as you use better amplification.  Even Tyll agreed - from his article:

Easily paired with just about headphone amplifier, they will sound good directly from the headphone jack of a receiver, and will improve nicely when combined with better gear.

I think what blueangel was trying to convey is that they aren't 'amp-picky' - definitely sounded spectaular out of my LD though 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back