Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #3,586 of 23,438
After nearly a year lusting after this headphone and building a decent system I'm ready to pull the trigger on the hd600 
rolleyes.gif

However, I need a little assurance. Can I get impressions on two songs with these headphones?

Florence + the Machine - Blinding
Roughquest - Northern Lights

I'm particularly interested in how the hd600's handle subbass, percussion, ambiance, and female vocals.
I wish I could insert the .flac files for these, but hopefully someone can help out.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #3,587 of 23,438
Quote:
After nearly a year lusting after this headphone and building a decent system I'm ready to pull the trigger on the hd600 
rolleyes.gif

However, I need a little assurance. Can I get impressions on two songs with these headphones?

Florence + the Machine - Blinding
Roughquest - Northern Lights

I'm particularly interested in how the hd600's handle subbass, percussion, ambiance, and female vocals 

subbass, - none
percussion, - awesome
ambiance,  - awesome
and female vocals - awesome

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3,588 of 23,438
Subbass - none.. If that is the case then that's a bummer.
Are you sure? That song by roughquest has some pretty big subbass.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #3,589 of 23,438
Quote:
Subbass - none.. If that is the case then that's a bummer.
Are you sure? That song by roughquest has some pretty big subbass.

Well eke2k6 is probably exaggerationing on the subbass-none since most headphone has sub bass to some extent. It's just how much sub bass you want. Though I've never heard the hd 600 I do plan on purchasing it. Based off reviews and graphs it seems like the hd 600 has some sub bass but not a lot. Maybe try equalizing it if you want more sub-bass. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #3,591 of 23,438
Yeah not many open headphones have great subbass, and when they do it's accompanied by too much midbass emphasis (i.e. Philips X1). I wish there was an extended subbass, airier treble version of the HD600 with a slightly bigger soundstage.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #3,593 of 23,438
I have reterminated my HD600s for balanced use yesterday. Damn, I had almost forgotten how bloody great these are when running balanced - it's something to behold.

@PanamaHat: I wouldn't worry too much about sub-bass on the HD600, or the lack of it. I'm regularly switching between the HD600 and the LA7000 (which has awesome sub-bass) and I rarely miss it on the HD600, although it's not quite on the same level.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #3,594 of 23,438
I didn't really enjoy the dt880, too shouty in the upper mid-range. I did not enjoy the x1 when I got a chance to listen to it either; it was wooly and somewhat artificial sounding. If the hd600 doesn't cut it for me the next step would be audeze.

I suppose my dt770 would make a good compliment to the hd600 but I'd rather have a headphone that can do finesse and subbass well.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3,595 of 23,438
@PanamaHat

IMO you're worrying for nothing.  Sub-bass runs from 0-60Hz and is mostly felt rather than heard.  It's actually an interesting exercise to play test tones and see how much you can actually hear (even more interesting when you take into context the amount of audible sub-bass you will still hear when played in conjunction with the rest of the audio being presented).  For the sub-bass that is audible (mainly 40-60Hz), the HD600 only rolls off a few dB - actually far less than a lot of other dynamic cans.  There is plenty of mid-bass (which is where you get your punch).

Can't comment on Roughquest - but FaTM always sounded fantastic to me when I had the HD600s.

Why not head somewhere that stocks them (J&R?), and demo them yourself just to make sure? 

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3,596 of 23,438
Yea I've done the test tones. It's audible til about 36 db on my beyers. I'm just concerned that a lot of the electronic music I listen to wont sound it's best. My library is about 40% electronic music and switching back and forth to different headphones is a bother. I will definitely be testing them soon as well.

The link to the song is right here if anyone is curious
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn1I8oY9a-8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBn1I8oY9a-8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back