Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #3,604 of 23,482
Can someone please just listen to the song and tell me if they can clearly hear and enjoy the wub in the background lol. And yea I'd rather try a different headphone before introducing eq distortion. Not too fond of foobar eq or electri-q

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,605 of 23,482
Quote:
After nearly a year lusting after this headphone and building a decent system I'm ready to pull the trigger on the hd600 
rolleyes.gif

However, I need a little assurance. Can I get impressions on two songs with these headphones?

Florence + the Machine - Blinding
Roughquest - Northern Lights

I'm particularly interested in how the hd600's handle subbass, percussion, ambiance, and female vocals.
I wish I could insert the .flac files for these, but hopefully someone can help out.

Another Florence & The Machine fan! Her unplugged set in Flac is absolutely amazing, if you haven't heard it yet definitely check it out.

Edit: I listened to the other song and there's bass but it isn't very deep bass (not a bad thing) but I think this shows that low frequencies are present in the HD600s and it isn't strong enough to get in the way of anything else:

and another song that I love with some deepish bass, I'm using an e7/e9 combo so my set up is pretty cold but I enjoy the sound for how much it cost.  I want to know sooo bad how it would sound with a nice amp/dac and LCD 2s:

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,606 of 23,482
Will definitely download her unplugged. Thanks for your impression too
Skream is the crap! He needs to put out some new material, though I understand he's busy being a family man now

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #3,607 of 23,482
audiogluttons like me use diff headfones...
d7k=subbass 
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #3,608 of 23,482
Quote:
After nearly a year lusting after this headphone and building a decent system I'm ready to pull the trigger on the hd600 
rolleyes.gif

However, I need a little assurance. Can I get impressions on two songs with these headphones?

Florence + the Machine - Blinding
Roughquest - Northern Lights

I'm particularly interested in how the hd600's handle subbass, percussion, ambiance, and female vocals.
I wish I could insert the .flac files for these, but hopefully someone can help out.

Wow, that Blinding Song is good...

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #3,609 of 23,482
Woah, woah, woah, woah. If you know how to EQ properly the HD600 will give you as much sub-bass as you'll ever need.

If you automatically associate EQ with distortion then you're not doing it right. The HD600 will give you as much distortion-free sub-bass as any headphone out there if not much more.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,610 of 23,482
I guess most people are trying to listen to what s in the original music,
Via an instrument which hopefully can reproduce it reasonably faithfully.

EQ is modulating a particular band of frequencies " artificially" ...to one's taste.
nothing wrong, if u can convince yourself it's "better".:wink:

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #3,611 of 23,482
Actually, all dynamic headphones are imperfect (i.e. non-neutral). EQ'ing them to be accurately, or close to, neutral actually gives you a more authentic representation of the recording. EQ'ing certain frequencies to have an even higher amplitude than neutral is just a matter of taste.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #3,613 of 23,482
    I have several friends having six figures hifi set up.
    None of them  having eq . they are not tonally deaf.
    they  just use pre amp  to make sound  to fit sound to their particular taste & the dont like studio sound.
    they are pretty serious audiophiles.

i just went to international av show where manufacturers showcase their top of the line hifi set up 
    none of them using eq. all of them using power conditioners

to me.. i just use rca , powercord or tube rolling to make "eq" sound to fit my taste.

for me, if i watched & listened to cassade pope sang over you & i dont have tears like Blake (her mentor)  did in the voice season 3
    then the rig is not good enough for me since i could not detect the emotion .

i have been auditioned lcd3 with alo reference  cables + wa6se + high end cd player & i did not like it coz i could not detect the emotion.
    there is no believability in the singers' voice nuance-doesnt feel like a real breathing... i think this is where dynamic headphones excel
     compared to planar magnetic

but then again.. some headphone supremus may say something else & completely disagree .
   everybody is entitle to his own opinion.

To me, having the title "headphhone supremus" doesn't mean he is an audiophile..

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #3,614 of 23,482
You tune an instrument, you EQ headphones.

Hang on there... You tune an instrument for perfect pitch not volume of a particular frequency. Not disagreeing that some headphones benefit from EQing but that analogy is misleading. I have several sets of headphones and IEMs and rarely EQ them, preferring to listen to certain of them for their suitability to the particular mood I'm in or genre I might be listening to.

What I like about my HD600s is they just about perfectly render my music as it was intended without too much coloration, bloat or roll off and achieved without requiring an expensive amp.

I agree that EQing is undesirable. My HiFi system is flat. My only concession is that my speakers have been calibrated using an SPL meter to the main listening position.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3,615 of 23,482
I imagine that if I spent lots of $ on gear, I wouldn't want to EQ either. Like I wouldn't want that expensive gear I just bought to be put on sale the next day for $10.

Quote:
Hang on there... You tune an instrument for perfect pitch not volume of a particular frequency.

I'm not an instrument tech, but isn't that exactly what the outcome of tuning is - changing the volumes of particular frequencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back