Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,376 of 23,482
I've been using these for just over a year now though HRT Music Streamer II -> Asgard (1). If I were to upgrade one of these, which should it be? I'm guessing the DAC... any suggestions? Schiit Bifrost seems a bit pricey... would the Modi be an appreciable upgrade? And from some quick searching, it seems like people have mentioned ODAC positively a lot

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3,379 of 23,482
Quote:
I've been using these for just over a year now though HRT Music Streamer II -> Asgard (1). If I were to upgrade one of these, which should it be? I'm guessing the DAC... any suggestions? Schiit Bifrost seems a bit pricey... would the Modi be an appreciable upgrade? And from some quick searching, it seems like people have mentioned ODAC positively a lot

The Modi or ODAC would be IMO. Of course you'll lose some warmth. I found the HRT MSII to have just a slight touch of warmth. Most people might not notice it unless you use maybe an SRH-940 or a K702 etc.
I had a very hard time hearing the differences between the ODAC and Modi, but between the MSII and ODAC it was quite easy.

People always say the ODAC is "way better" than the Modi, but i'm just not hearing it.

The soundstage on the MSII always felt kind of too compressed in comparison to the ODAC/Modi. It's certainly not bad and i'm not sure why this is. I always liked it though.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #3,380 of 23,482
Quote:
The HRT is a well respected DAC, I personally doubt if any of those other DACs will sound any different.

That's the thing, if we are not talking power audio, then there wont be much differences in signal output quality, since any cheap chip can do the job just fine.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #3,382 of 23,482
I use them for gaming quite a bit and they work really well. There are headphones with larger soundstages out there for sure but the 600's is adequate. The slightly forward mids help make voice comm more intelligible. My 880s and 770s both have somewhat recessed mids and it can be harder to hear people talking over other noises. But its a small difference. All 3 work great for gaming IMO because they all have decent soundstages and good detail.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #3,383 of 23,482
I think (for gaming anyway) - more important is the imaging than having a huge soundstage.   To me the HD600 image superbly (the DT880 are pretty good too) - and I can use either the Senns or the Beyers for gaming.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,385 of 23,482
Does anybody use these when they are gaming at all? About to invest in a pair and just wondering what the general concensus was 

They are ok for gaming, but definitely not anything to scream home about. The soundstage is small and positional accuracy is not where I need it to be. There are much better cans out there for gaming at much better prices. The Q701 and all of its variants being one of the major ones.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3,386 of 23,482
If you feed them a good signal via a computer or output digital audio from a console to a dedicated dac the 600s are great for gaming, Battlefield 3 with the 600s is one of the most cinematic and awe-inspiring things I have heard through my headphones.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3,388 of 23,482
I love my HD-600s. Unfortunately, they got really banged up during one of my moves. The grills are really messed up, and the overall headband feels loose. I've had these for like 6 + years now. So I'll probably just buy these new again. Might just get 650s. Hmmmm.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #3,389 of 23,482
Quote:
I love my HD-600s. Unfortunately, they got really banged up during one of my moves. The grills are really messed up, and the overall headband feels loose. I've had these for like 6 + years now. So I'll probably just buy these new again. Might just get 650s. Hmmmm.

I just bought some 650's but they arn't here yet. I just couldn't stand it not knowing if they are really better than my 600's. Bad thing is I KNOW I won't be able to part with either one of them once they get here even thought that would be the smart thing to do.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,390 of 23,482
I just bought some 650's but they arn't here yet. I just couldn't stand it not knowing if they are really better than my 600's. Bad thing is I KNOW I won't be able to part with either one of them once they get here even thought that would be the smart thing to do.

Let me know your impression. About a year ago I did a side by side of 650, 600 and HE-500. Was a bad idea doing all 3. I became disoriented as my ears would adjust to one sound. Always wished I spent more time with just the 600 and 650 to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back