Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #3,361 of 23,455
Has anyone heard the HD600 out of the HRT Microstreamer? I'm thinking about making the level up from the HD598, which pair well with the Microstreamer, but I want to be sure my little guy will have enough power for the HD600 because I am not really in the position to buy a new amp.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #3,362 of 23,455
More impressions from this new owner... 1) While comfortable, they do put a pretty strong clamp on my big head, especially on the cheekbones. After a long listen, I feel the same kind of relief removing them as if I took off a pair of ski boots. Is there any way to loosen the grip without damaging them? 2) Amazing bass. I listen at pretty low volumes, yet I can definitely feel the thump from these cans. I'm no bass-head, but I want to hear the fundamentals and especially the bass' flavour - whether it's a row of double-basses in an orchestra, a Fender Jazz, a bassoon, or something synthetic, I feel that the HD-600s are giving me a very faithful rendition of the particular colour of the bass. Even the intro to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony did not leave me wanting for anything more. 3) NEIL. ***ING. YOUNG. The guitars sing like nothing else. I want to buy all of his music now. Ouch, my wallet....

Be very careful if you're thinking of stretching them - the headbands are not very flexible - and will break under force (I know - I've done it).  If the clamp becomes unbearable - fully extend the arms - and lightly bend the extenders (not the plastic headband!).  They do loosen over time though.  Mine are pretty comfortable.  Still a stronger clamp compared to my Beyer/AKG - but the sound makes up for it ....

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #3,363 of 23,455
Quote:
More impressions from this new owner... 1) While comfortable, they do put a pretty strong clamp on my big head, especially on the cheekbones. After a long listen, I feel the same kind of relief removing them as if I took off a pair of ski boots. Is there any way to loosen the grip without damaging them? 2) Amazing bass. I listen at pretty low volumes, yet I can definitely feel the thump from these cans. I'm no bass-head, but I want to hear the fundamentals and especially the bass' flavour - whether it's a row of double-basses in an orchestra, a Fender Jazz, a bassoon, or something synthetic, I feel that the HD-600s are giving me a very faithful rendition of the particular colour of the bass. Even the intro to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony did not leave me wanting for anything more. 3) NEIL. ***ING. YOUNG. The guitars sing like nothing else. I want to buy all of his music now. Ouch, my wallet....

i'm finding them uncomfortable overall due to the shape and tightness, as you said they clamp down on your head pretty hard... it's weird because they're comfortable in that they fit on my head really well and don't move around and the pads feel nice on the ear but they're also not comfortable in some ways.
i have about 10 days to decide if i want to return them or not and the discomfort i'm feeling isn't making them easy to keep as comfort is extremely important when you wear headphones 8+ hours a day.

i agree about your other comments, i'm also not a basshead but appreciate the sound of bass on these headphones, i don't think the sound works for rap (which i believe needs a more harsh/grimy speaker like feel to it than the sound i experience here) but in everything else i like it and i'm also very pleased with guitars..  i was worried how guitars would sound as it's important to me but i think it's really great.

it's unfortunate that i'm having problems with comfort, right now i'm about 60/40 in keeping them or not.

on a side note and off topic i was wondering if there were any musicians or music experts in here that could answer a question.
i never played any instruments and i know what sounds good to me personally but i'm not entirely sure when something is really, really good in terms of technical instrumental playing.
i was listening to this song last night and the drumming on this sounds outstanding to me, i was just curious if it's actually really great technically or not or just sounds good to me.
anyone know if that would be considered very good technical drumming?
(recommend changing it to 720/1080p from the bottom right)

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #3,364 of 23,455
Good drumming, but I wouldn't call it technical.  It doesn't sound very complicated compared to, say, Neil Peart of Rush.

Speaking of Rush, the HD-600s are great for reminding you that this band has a top-notch guitarist.  For a lot of people it's all about Peart and Geddy Lee, but when you can actually hear all that yummy mid-range, you realize how crucial Alex Lifeson's part is.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,365 of 23,455
Quote:
Good drumming, but I wouldn't call it technical.  It doesn't sound very complicated compared to, say, Neil Peart of Rush.

Speaking of Rush, the HD-600s are great for reminding you that this band has a top-notch guitarist.  For a lot of people it's all about Peart and Geddy Lee, but when you can actually hear all that yummy mid-range, you realize how crucial Alex Lifeson's part is.

oh ok, so it would have more to do with the difficulty/complicated rather than the sound of it?
i always hear someone saying like the guitar playing or the drumming on that song is unreal or so great and i'm wondering if they mean the actual technical guitar playing or the sound of it.
because being someone unfamiliar with the technical aspects of the instruments i can only base my judgement on the sound and if i like what i'm hearing so when i'm listening to a song i'm often uncertain if what i'm hearing is amazing technical ability to play the instrument or if it simply sounds good to me if that makes any sense whatsoever.
like for example with the smiths, i'm loving the sound and playing of johnny marr's guitar  but i wouldn't have a clue if it was actually technically great haha.
embarrassing listening to music for so long and still not certain of that.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #3,366 of 23,455
Quote:

This! My most stressful test for separation of mids also.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #3,367 of 23,455
1980's Rush sounds especially good. That was when Geddy used to smother everything in synthesisers. With the 600's it's a lot of fun to pick apart the guitars from the keyboards on albums like Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire...

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,368 of 23,455
conundrum:

having the headphones 4 days now and spending alot of time listening to them i've enjoyed my experience overall.
i don't even think i'd need an amp if i didn't want to get one, although i plan to get one.. but i'm happy enough without an amp that i wouldn't even need to get one as it's more than loud enough and sounds great to me.

i'm still within the grace period of being able to return them.

the one big problem i'm having is comfort, i wear headphones 8+ hours a day as i use headphones for everything from music/tv, etc.
they're really tight on my head and the shape of it on my head/ears, the way it completely forms over my ears is strange and causes irritation on my ears and that combination causes quite a bit of discomfort after a few hours.

so... that being said, what are the options available?

i could send them back and use what money i have left or save up more for a different pair but the questions becomes is there a pair of headphones that would provide a similar experience as the hd600 or better (as i like the sound especially with female vocals/guitars) but with alot more comfort somewhere within the hd600 price range.
an example would be i could patiently try and find a used audeze lcd-2, i saw a few on ebay that were still being bid upon at around $745 but probably would end up being more in a bid war.
or 650 (not sure if the same design)/ dt888 / he500(read very hard to drive and require decent amp)

or is it possible that in time the discomfort of the headphones currently within 4 days would fade and it would adjust and become more comfortable in time.
and that the headphones are worth keeping as one wouldn't find a much better pair around it's price range?

if you were in my position of liking the sound of the headphones but with the problems described would you stick with them and ride it out knowing that it's one of the better headphones you will find in this range or would you take the opportunity to go ahead and try for something else?
there's probably a bias somewhat being on the appreciation thread of the hd600 haha so maybe it wasn't the best place to ask for objective advice but i didn't want to clutter the main forums with yet another "advice thread".

if i stick with them they will be my main headphones for a long time so it's somewhat of a crucial decision.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3,369 of 23,455
I would say to keep them since you already like the sound. As for the comfort I also found the clamping a bit tight at first but after about 2 or 3 weeks when i bought them they were much more comfortable

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,370 of 23,455
Quote:
I would say to keep them since you already like the sound. As for the comfort I also found the clamping a bit tight at first but after about 2 or 3 weeks when i bought them they were much more comfortable

that's what i'm thinking about the comfort, could just need an adjusting period... with my ad700 the first pair i had it was extremely comfortable but they broke and so i bought a new pair and it was a similar situation as this where they didn't feel right and caused discomfort/irritation until a few weeks and they felt right, but they leaned against the ear and didn't cradle the ear like these.
probably good advice there, if you find a sound that you like it's probably a good idea to hold on to it.
it would suck if the discomfort never left though.

i suppose i could risk it and if it didn't work out sell them on ebay or something.

it's hard to leave them after listening to something like this on them: (that's for damn sure haha) 'pure bliss'.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,371 of 23,455
HD600 is quite comfy for me sure. The weight and clamping is just right. I dun have a very big head though. And if you think HD600 is not comfy enough for you, don't even try HE500. They are heavier and significantly less comfy. I guess LCD-2 also should be in the same cup. Why don't you give HD600 a few more days and try out some fiddling with your headband adjustments? It will be difficult for you find something like HD600 SQ wise for the price range. Especially if you are smitten with HD600. :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #3,372 of 23,455
Quote:
HD600 is quite comfy for me sure. The weight and clamping is just right. I dun have a very big head though. And if you think HD600 is not comfy enough for you, don't even try HE500. They are heavier and significantly less comfy. I guess LCD-2 also should be in the same cup. Why don't you give HD600 a few more days and try out some fiddling with your headband adjustments? It will be difficult for you find something like HD600 SQ wise for the price range. Especially if you are smitten with HD600. :)

sounds logical, thanks for the advice yet again people... my ears and head will just have to toughen up, step up their game.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #3,373 of 23,455
I had the same issue at first, Nowhere, and after a little over a week I'm getting used to the "Sennheiser clamp" - or maybe it is getting used to me? I've even fallen asleep on them a couple of times...

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,374 of 23,455
I used to store my HD600's on a ceramic bust of Bach. The bust was wider than a normal head and over a period of weeks, the headphones relaxed and the clamp loosened. They can be loosened, but do it carefully and gently over a period of time.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3,375 of 23,455
When I first got my HD-600s over 3 years ago the clamping force on the head was significant out of the box. I did the headband adjustment (metal band flexing). I believe there is a thread somewhere with some pictures describing the process. It made a huge difference, so they are extremely comfortable with just the minimal amount of clamping force. The pads slightly mold to head/ears as well. As they are, I find my HD-600s to be extremely comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back