Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #3,076 of 23,456
[SIZE=13pt]eke2k6 & palmfish[/SIZE]

So I guess my trepidations of this website have no merit? So you had no problems ordering, or with the product themselves? Those stands look amazing and are a steal at that price. When I originally saw the Omegas, I was shocked at the price, even the ones on ebay are overpriced IMO.[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]Eke2k6 thanks for posting the link! 

I dont know. Im keeping my fingers crossed

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #3,078 of 23,456
For those of you who have headphones and speakers, do you find headphones are generally more sensitive to upstream changes?  I ask because I found recently that to get my speakers to image as precisely as the HD600s I had to buy a much better DAC.  PS Audio DLIII vs Nuforce HDP.  With the Nuforce and the 600s the separation between instruments was great and I felt that my speakers (Infinity Kappa 9s) could only manage to match the Nuforce 600s combo with the PS audio thrown into the mix.  Is this a trait of all speakers and headphones or a testament to the 600s?

May 1, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #3,079 of 23,456
what kind of speakers? 

I find the imaging on nearfield monitors better than headphones. It also depends on how you set them up in a room. Headphones will usually take that out of the equation of room acoustics which can drastically change the image of the sound.

May 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #3,080 of 23,456
Infinity Kappa 9s are an old model from the late 80s.  They are a huge closed box design with more transducers than you can shake a stick at.  2x12in Woofers, 2 midranges of different construction.  A ribbon tweeter and super tweeter and a tweeter and midrange in back as well.  

I agree that nearfield listening is an improvement over headphones.  The real difference is separation I suppose.  The speakers simply could not reproduce multiple voices in a realistic manor, or multiple strings etc, without the aid of the PS Audio DAC.  The Nuforce was obviously an improvement over the CD player (also from the late 80s.) but its performance through the speakers was not at the level of the HD600s.

May 1, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #3,081 of 23,456
Quote:
Infinity Kappa 9s are an old model from the late 80s.  They are a huge closed box design with more transducers than you can shake a stick at.  2x12in Woofers, 2 midranges of different construction.  A ribbon tweeter and super tweeter and a tweeter and midrange in back as well.  

I agree that nearfield listening is an improvement over headphones.  The real difference is separation I suppose.  The speakers simply could not reproduce multiple voices in a realistic manor, or multiple strings etc, without the aid of the PS Audio DAC.  The Nuforce was obviously an improvement over the CD player (also from the late 80s.) but its performance through the speakers was not at the level of the HD600s.

The Kappa 9:s are notorius for being _extremely_ demanding on the power amplifier, about the cheapest that drives them correct is a used NAD 208 for 600-1000$ otherwise it's almost Krell territory to drive them. If you have a lesser amp there will be various types of distortion even on moderate levels which affects ie imaging and of course everything else. Also, there should be much damping on the wall behind the Kappas, and on the floor in font of them, otherwise there are too much reflexes that muddies the sound with all those elements.

I had the RS3a which was the corresponding model in the series before the Kappa, the only amp that drove them to delivering a "tight" sound at my place was the Nakamichi Stasis PA-7, a 40Kg Nelson Pass-construction. That sounded good though  :)

Nowadays I rarely listen to full range speakers, as when I have time to listen it is by the computer in the evenings. I enjoy the sound with two miniscule 2-way monitors and an active sub-bass under the desk. No filtering on the monitors, I use the sub-bass as "bass support" only which functions well as I don't need sky high volume levels when sitting next to the speakers. Otherwise I could be able to play louder if I filtered the monitors.  No problem with imaging as the sound is straight to the ears, sounds rather similar to the HD600:s only it's an armslength away

May 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,082 of 23,456
Right now they are driven by a pair of Adcom GFA 555 IIs and they work but I'm sure there is still another level or two to jump up from there.  Anyway I think your right about the room.  The speakers themselves are on the edges of a thick area rug so that's not bad, but behind them are a pair of windows.  I need to get some heavy curtains.  

Anyway, back to HD600 Appreciation.

May 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,085 of 23,456
Quote:
I'm thinking of restaining it to something darker. I have a black theme going on in my room, so the lighter color sticks out a bit.

Don't go to the dark side!  
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,086 of 23,456
Anyone have a silver cable on their HD600 I'm wondering what kind of sound change is there?  I have one coming and I'm curious as to what kind of change it makes, like does the treble get brighter, is the over all detail and clarity better, really any change there is in the SQ and sound signature.

May 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #3,087 of 23,456
Quote:
Anyone have a silver cable on their HD600 I'm wondering what kind of sound change is there?  I have one coming and I'm curious as to what kind of change it makes, like does the treble get brighter, is the over all detail and clarity better, really any change there is in the SQ and sound signature.

really depends, as not all silver cables are the same.  my last comparison using the silver dragon vs black dragon.. made the treble much brighter.  I didnt like it.  but it all depends on so many factors.  make sure you post your thoughts.

May 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3,088 of 23,456
My cable is the best! its put in the freezer every time i don't use it. it is also shielded with aluminum foil to stop emi radiation. i also tried soaking the cable in liquid helium at my schools research lab and i got super conductivity. nothing beats super conducting cables its out of this world!

May 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,089 of 23,456
Quote:
really depends, as not all silver cables are the same.  my last comparison using the silver dragon vs black dragon.. made the treble much brighter.  I didnt like it.  but it all depends on so many factors.  make sure you post your thoughts.

Yeah I figured there would be different sounds from different cables but it seems the general rule for silver cables is a brighter over all sound with good clarity.  Now I would welcome a bit brighter treble but not so bright its harsh, I'd say the treble from my HE-400 with the silver plated copper cable I have on it is perfect but I don't see the HD600 getting that bright. 

The cable I got isn't as good as the dragon cables but I'm hoping it crisps up the treble some and if it cleaned up the decay of the bass just a little that would be perfect for me but I'm not saying I don't like the bass its just once you here the bass from a good ortho regular dynamic drivers bass just can't compare imo (at least most of them).

May 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,090 of 23,456
Quote:
My cable is the best! its put in the freezer every time i don't use it. it is also shielded with aluminum foil to stop emi radiation. i also tried soaking the cable in liquid helium at my schools research lab and i got super conductivity. nothing beats super conducting cables its out of this world!

That sound like an awesome cable bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back