Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,478 of 23,456
How do they differ?
Well my 600s finally arrived last night.  I currently have them burning in with some music while at work.  Definitely sound much different than my AKG 240 sextetts.   Looking forward to having more burn in time on them, but will use them while doing so.  I'm going to have to dig out some of my more interesting cds this weekend. :beyersmile:

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2,480 of 23,456
Hi!

I tried that also on high quality headphone amp,with zero Ohm output impedance, and decided, on that setup, the original damper is better IMO.
On lesser, consumer equipment, I liked denser damping foam better.

Moonwalker

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #2,481 of 23,456
Quote:
Is it ok to hand wash the pads and put them back on that way?  Had my HD600s for one year and I can kinda smell the oil and feel it too or would I need new ones?  If I need new ones should I get the original ones or something else and where should I buy it?

Quote:
Hi!

I hand washed them, using Woolite, but they are softer and softer after each washing, even when I did not sqeezed them, just let it spontanneously dry.
Also, they became a bit discolored, turning to brownish tan.

They have nice odour now :)

Moonwalker

Thanks, any more opinions/responses?

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,484 of 23,456
Hello everyone.

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's. I plan to use them for my pc listening to music.

I'm looking for a simple and cheap solution for properly driving my cans and after some reading i think i'll be going in one of the following solutions

1) Get an ASUS ESSENCE STX 

2) Tubemagic D1 plus and use the optical out from  my XFi Titanium Fatality soundcard to the optical input of the D1

3) Little Dot MKIII tube amp and use the line out of the XFi to the RCA input of the tube amp 

4) Some other better recommendation

Regading the ESSENCE STX, i did some reading but the more i read the more i got confused. There are many contradicting
opinions whether or not the STX can/cannot drive the HD 600's. For me this is the solution i am leaning towards as it is the cheapest
and simplest. I can get an STX of EBAY and simply plug it in.

About the D1 plus, i havent read many reviews, but there are many happy owners out there and it believe it would be a great DAC/ AMP combo. As i said i plan to use an optical cable to connect it to the soundcard.i believe that would be ok. The problem is that i cant seem to find to buy one from Europe, i have to import one from their site and it will turn out a bit expensive calculating import duties. I think of this as my second best option

Now regarding a tube amp. I dont know a lot about tube amps, but i believe the Little Dot MKIII is the cheapest and best option for me regarding a tube amp. If i connect the line out of the XFi to the tube amp , will it sound properly or will i need a DAC to get decent quality? The only reason thinking about a tube amp is the better quality and warmer audio people claim it gives. However if i need a DAC ( which most probably i will ) it might turn out a bit expensive again, but if the sound is better that the previous two options i might go for it

Thanks for your time and reading 

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,485 of 23,456
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's. I plan to use them for my pc listening to music.

I'm looking for a simple and cheap solution for properly driving my cans and after some reading i think i'll be going in one of the following solutions

1) Get an ASUS ESSENCE STX 

2) Tubemagic D1 plus and use the optical out from  my XFi Titanium Fatality soundcard to the optical input of the D1

3) Little Dot MKIII tube amp and use the line out of the XFi to the RCA input of the tube amp 

4) Some other better recommendation

Regading the ESSENCE STX, i did some reading but the more i read the more i got confused. There are many contradicting
opinions whether or not the STX can/cannot drive the HD 600's. For me this is the solution i am leaning towards as it is the cheapest
and simplest. I can get an STX of EBAY and simply plug it in.

About the D1 plus, i havent read many reviews, but there are many happy owners out there and it believe it would be a great DAC/ AMP combo. As i said i plan to use an optical cable to connect it to the soundcard.i believe that would be ok. The problem is that i cant seem to find to buy one from Europe, i have to import one from their site and it will turn out a bit expensive calculating import duties. I think of this as my second best option

Now regarding a tube amp. I dont know a lot about tube amps, but i believe the Little Dot MKIII is the cheapest and best option for me regarding a tube amp. If i connect the line out of the XFi to the tube amp , will it sound properly or will i need a DAC to get decent quality? The only reason thinking about a tube amp is the better quality and warmer audio people claim it gives. However if i need a DAC ( which most probably i will ) it might turn out a bit expensive again, but if the sound is better that the previous two options i might go for it

Thanks for your time and reading 

Does your motherboard on your computer have optical out? I'm sure the STX would drive them but of course they would scale better with an external amp. I owned the D1 and it's a great amp/dac. If I were you I would get that. Talk to Ryan at Maverick Audio, he's a great guy and is also willing to answer any questions you have. The D1 is an amp/dac and it has USB input as well.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,486 of 23,456
So, I think I'm getting ready to buy an external amp.  I have a pair of HD600s (obviously) and I'm currently using my computer with an ASUS Xonar STX as my amp/DAC.

My objective is to increase the level of detail and separation between the instruments.  I'm an analytical listener and I want to be able to clearly hear each part in dense orchestral music.  I know the HD600's oldschool dynamic loudspeakers won't ever be as fast as a planar magnetic or electrostatic.  (I think I've got that right.)  But I want to unlock all the potential these cans have for separation and detail.  So I assume a tube amp ISN'T the way to go, though maybe I'm wrong about that.

What desktop amps would you guys recommend?  My budget is $250-400.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,487 of 23,456
In that range I have heard a few of the commonly recommended amps including the Nuforce HDP or HD and Bottlehead Crack.  THe Nuforce HDP is a little out of your range at $450 but is an amp and dac combo and is a very analytical combo if that's the signature you prefer.  The crack can be had for $280 for the DIYer.  It has a much more musical approach to presenting the music.  It is a DIY tube amp and is quite easy to make even if you have no prior experience.  If DIY is not your thing you could bet on some of the amps mentioned above  such as the little dot amps.  I have not heard these however and will not comment on how well it pairs with the 600s.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,488 of 23,456
Quote:
In that range I have heard a few of the commonly recommended amps including the Nuforce HDP or HD and Bottlehead Crack.  THe Nuforce HDP is a little out of your range at $450 but is an amp and dac combo and is a very analytical combo if that's the signature you prefer.  The crack can be had for $280 for the DIYer.  It has a much more musical approach to presenting the music.  It is a DIY tube amp and is quite easy to make even if you have no prior experience.  If DIY is not your thing you could bet on some of the amps mentioned above  such as the little dot amps.  I have not heard these however and will not comment on how well it pairs with the 600s.

If I have an ASUS STX, do I really need another DAC?  Do you think I'd see more of a difference going with a dedicated amp over an amp/DAC combo?

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,489 of 23,456
Quote:
Does your motherboard on your computer have optical out? I'm sure the STX would drive them but of course they would scale better with an external amp. I owned the D1 and it's a great amp/dac. If I were you I would get that. Talk to Ryan at Maverick Audio, he's a great guy and is also willing to answer any questions you have. The D1 is an amp/dac and it has USB input as well.

Yes my XFi Titanium Fatality has optical output. Too bad the D1 does not have a valve for the output stage of the amplifier...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back