Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,891 of 23,449
I don't think it's the power, O2 already outputs half a watt near the impedance of HE-400.  I also think O2 sounds just fine with the HE-400.  I think it's just a preference for a different amp's sound signature.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,894 of 23,449
I've heard that the O2, while transparent and decently powerful, doesn't add anything to the music and leaves you wanting a bit. My Lyr makes my HD600s shine. I'm currently listening to Money by Pink Floyd -- I can't really say it sounds anything other than awesome. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, and I know this is one of the most popular songs, but it just sounds fantastic.

If you like choral music, Eric Whitacre is an American composer who writes some amazing contemporary pieces. I've heard a few live (sadly not directed by him) but my sister sang at Carnegie Hall in NYC as part of a large choir directed by him. He loves dissonance. They are absolutely chilling with the HD600s and the Lyr.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,895 of 23,449
Quote:
People like to buy nicer ones for their unique sound, but the whole tube amp thing is all about color (mostly). Some amps that do nothing can sound very dry and analytical.

But if your amp "does nothing," it's your headphones that are dry and analytical, not the amp. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,896 of 23,449
I can agree with that too. The HD600 and HD650 were very flat and analytical when heard out of the O2 and even the Little Dot.  I could have gone with something that emphasized even more on warmth.

In the world of audio reproduction, it's not about adding to the music, but it's about taking the least amount away from it.  Having to add the Lyr's sound signature to complement the HD600 is great, but at the end of the day it isn't a black and white power issue, it's just a coloration synergy issue.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,897 of 23,449
Quote:
I've heard that the O2, while transparent and decently powerful, doesn't add anything to the music and leaves you wanting a bit. My Lyr makes my HD600s shine. I'm currently listening to Money by Pink Floyd -- I can't really say it sounds anything other than awesome. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, and I know this is one of the most popular songs, but it just sounds fantastic.

If you like choral music, Eric Whitacre is an American composer who writes some amazing contemporary pieces. I've heard a few live (sadly not directed by him) but my sister sang at Carnegie Hall in NYC as part of a large choir directed by him. He loves dissonance. They are absolutely chilling with the HD600s and the Lyr.

Buying headphones that don't sound good and then trying to make them sound better by pairing them with an amp that has a flattering coloration seems like a difficult, random, tedious, and expensive way to get sound that pleases you.

Instead of trying to put into words what I think of tube amps, I'll just quote Douglas Self:

"it has been known for a long time that listeners sometimes prefer to have a certain amount of second-harmonic distortion added in, and most valve amplifiers provide just that, due to grave difficulties in providing good linearity with modest feedback factors. While this may well sound nice, hi-fi is supposedly about accuracy, and if the sound is to be thus modified it should be controllable from the front panel by a 'niceness' knob."

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,898 of 23,449
Does anyone that uses their HD-600s with the e7/e9 combo use it on the low gain setting? I don't notice very much of a difference (other than volume) it just makes the mids stick out a lot more.  Not sure if the HD-600s need the extra power or not.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,899 of 23,449
Well do you like its mids sticking out a lot more? I guess you've got the answer for your own question.

HiFidelity wise I do not know if Tubes provide any benefits. Dad was an electronics lecturer / mid-end sound addict; and did talk about cables (?!), balanced (?!) and tubes being beneficial on paper at least. Do not dig what I have said as he only just mentioned it, so maybe I will have to interview him during the coming summer holidays.

Regarding tubes I think he said something about a smooth rolloff that is not HiFi but easier to accept for our ears as sounds in real life do not cut off straight after certain frequencies; resulting in a so-called 'smoother sound' and 'taming the highs'. I do not know if that FR cutoff is audible or not xp

Also even if tubes are not 'hifi', I guess one could not doubt its 'musical enjoy-ability'. If tubes and SS provides the same sound, than there shouldn't be a lot of attacks on tubes. If they indeed sound different, then since our preferences are all different, one should not be saying SS > tubes or vice versus.

2c.

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,900 of 23,449
Okay i'm still thinking of buying the hd600. But my question is is this one good for jazz/progg/classical/rock? I now use the SR80i for rock/prog and the ID1for classical and jazz, but that's a Orthodynamic headphone so you can't really compare those... Thanks for helping (i know this
should be in the recommendation thread; to lazy)

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,901 of 23,449
Quote:
Okay i'm still thinking of buying the hd600. But my question is is this one good for jazz/progg/classical/rock? I now use the SR80i for rock/prog and the ID1for classical and jazz, but that's a Orthodynamic headphone so you can't really compare those... Thanks for helping (i know this

I like the 650 better for prog and most rock, things like jazz and classical it's more up to you. 650 is warmer, 600 is more neutral.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,902 of 23,449
Quote:

If you're looking to cross genres so much you are definitely going to want a balanced headphone. That's assuming you're replacing you current sets with just the 600. In which case this is where you want to be. I can really think of too many headphones this balanced. Should work well for what you want.Now the question is do you have an amp?

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,904 of 23,449
Quote:
If you're looking to cross genres so much you are definitely going to want a balanced headphone. That's assuming you're replacing you current sets with just the 600. In which case this is where you want to be. I can really think of too many headphones this balanced. Should work well for what you want.Now the question is do you have an amp?

I agree... For your genres, HD600 should be more than fine :) They are very well balanced but the bass is not very much present with them.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,905 of 23,449

I agree... For your genres, HD600 should be more than fine :) They are very well balanced but the bass is not very much present with them.

Sorry - can't agree with this. It depends on where your preferences lie. My current cans are in my sig, and the quantity of the bass in the HD600 - although definitely not excessive (and nicely balanced with the other frequencies IMO) - is more to my ears than the DT880, SR325i and much more than the K701 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back