Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #1,531 of 23,458
You could cut the original 600 cord down to size as you suggested.  Then, you could buy the 650 cable as a backup or replacement.  It's a better cord anyway--in thickness and ruggedness--not sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cable-SENNHEISER-Headphones-HD650/dp/B0028PGXRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343143291&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd650+cable

Quote:
Anyone know of an INEXPENSIVE 4 ft (or so) cable for these?  The 10 foot is a bit long.  Not looking for fancy-schmancy magic cable "properties", just shorter length.  I tried a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Edit:  I may just buy a cheap replacement and cut the cord to desired length and re-solder the plug on.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,532 of 23,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

[...]

Right now this sounds like an HD-598 on steroids. More mid-bass than the 598, but not as much as stock HD-600. Pretty crystal clear now. Just from some stupid foam? Huh?!

Thanks for sharing this. I'll probably try this at some point, but with the HD580 instead of the 600. Personally I prefer the 600 over the 580 - the latter sounds a bit uneven / less balanced to my ears. But then again, the differences are not huge, both are great.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,533 of 23,458
Hello!

I'm new to HD 600 club! I received my HD 600 yesterday and have been burning them in since with music and all kinds of noises. My previous headphones were the HD 25s and AKG K518s. Both closed so I wanted to try something open. These sound really good through my Fubar IV Plus and I'm happy with my purchase.
I also don't know if it's that I have the "new" HD 600, but I don't find these slow at all.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,534 of 23,458
Congrats on getting the HD600! If you're amenable to some advice: forget about the burn-in-hogwash, start listening and enjoy the music. The only thing that will break in over time (and perhaps alter the sound subtly) are the earpads, and they will only start doing so if you wear the headphones.

If you bought a new pair, you most likely have a new version HD600 - if the color of the screens sorrounding the driver (they're visible through the outer metal grills) is silvery-white, you have the new version.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,536 of 23,458
Quote:

Thanks for sharing this. I'll probably try this at some point, but with the HD580 instead of the 600. Personally I prefer the 600 over the 580 - the latter sounds a bit uneven / less balanced to my ears. But then again, the differences are not huge, both are great.

I think with the HD-580 it might not need it because IMO it doesn't have the mid-bass of the HD-600. A tad less.

I really couldn't pick what headphone between those two sounds the most balanced. The HD-600 has more mid-bass and the HD-580 seems to have more treble and upper mids. Not a huge difference.

I would say the HD-580 is slightly more forward sounding past the mid-bass area compared to the HD-600. Not really any less neutral sounding due to the HD-600's mid-bass.

BTW I think some variations of the HD-580 exist. Mine is the silver screened version. I've read reviews that some pairs have recessed mids and bloated bass?! Mine has forward upper mids, a decent amount of treble (more than HD-600), but less of a mid-bass hump. I guess when you close off the grills it's kind of a balancing act with it's sound signature. Take away something and another part is more forward sounding.

Hopefully someone can try this quick test on their HD-600. To open the grills it takes me about 2 minutes total for this simple mod. I'll be listening to it more tonight. Right now I love the sound. For gaming, the sound is balanced out near perfectly.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,537 of 23,458
Quote:
I haven't heard a difference in cables in general.  That's not to say differences don't exist, but I would doubt that the human ear can actually perceive differences.

Though I've not tried different cables with the headphones you have listed in your signature - except the HD 650 cable with the HD 600 which thickens the sound somewhat, very very slightly - I found that, to give one example of recabling benefits, when changing the LCD-3's stock (copper) cable to a silver aftermarket cable, the differences were obvious and (subjectively) for the better. Here's some of my notes on such observations: http://www.head-fi.org/products/toxic-cables-pure-silver-occ-cable-for-audeze-lcd-2-3/reviews/7094

I love the HD 600 and would love to hear it with an aftermarket cable. I've heard that silver cables work really well with the HD 600.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,538 of 23,458
I don't want to get into a cable discussion or argument, but i've found that upgrading the HD-600 cable does offer some benefit.
Here's what's weird. I use my Double Helix cable on a Sansa Clip+ to Total Airhead and can barely tell any difference at all.

When I use my Headroom Micro Amp to HRT MSII DAC it's incredibly easy. I couldn't hear a single bit of difference between interconnect cables until I got a good computer DAC.

I became a believer in cables when I recabled my KSC75 with silver. It's a long story!

For me, I think ANY silver plated copper would sound nice on the HD-600. I love ALO SXC, but NOT on the Q701. On the HD-600 or HD-650 it'd be perfect.
Canare would be nice for the Q701, but not so much the HD-600 I think. Canare seems to add more warmth to my Q701.

You'll think i'm nuts, but I did find a nice way to determine the differences in HD-600 cables.
Try to compare the differences with gaming. I use a DAC to my receiver.

I was surprised that the mid-bass with the HD-650 cable seems to be a bit bloated in comparison to the stock HD-600 or DHC cable.
This makes me wonder what an HD-600 cable would be like on the HD-650. The bass could be a result of a thicker internal wire. Who knows..

Based on my experience it seems that all the higher capacitance wire is warmer and the lower capacitance wire is brighter (Belden 1192A).

I don't know why, but Monoprice Cat6 as a speaker wire sounds like silver plated copper. A real nerd here should experiment and try it on his HD-600
biggrin.gif

I bet that stuff could be even better than ALO SXC (silver plated copper) which costs a small fortune.

I don't buy expensive cables, but it's fun making them for cheap.

BTW I wonder what the HD-600 with a Cardas cable sounds like? Any better or worse than DHC? I bought a $35 Cardas HP1 cable for my portable amp and it's worth the extra costs just for the build quality alone. Looks cool too.

Also..i've found silver plated copper to make a headphone seem thinner sounding. I had that experience with it on my Q701. Slightly clearer, but thinner mids and a larger soundstage. Maybe due to some extra treble.

I actually convered my ALO SXC cable for my Q701 into one for my $75 Tony Bennett headphone
biggrin.gif

One more thing..why is it so hard to find an actual HD-600 replacement cable? I don't want the HD-650 cable.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,539 of 23,458
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,540 of 23,458
i dun knoe how to make DIY cables..:p

but once upon a time i had before me two hd600...one with stockcable..one with equinox.
plugged both into the BCL (which had two sockets..)..and listened with my eyes closed,
switching between cans from song to song..
the hd600 with stockcable became unlistenable pretty soon. :p

since then, i am addicted to switching cables...i wont call it an upgrade, in case a storm brews.
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,541 of 23,458
Quote:

Seems like it should be easier to find other than ordering directly from Sennheiser.

What makes little sense to me is that the HD-600 cable is $27.42, but the HD-650 cable is $13.27!

Sennheiser  is extremely fast though. I ordered a part with ground shipping and got it in 2 days.

BTW I wonder if HD-650 grills fit the HD-600 and alter the sound in any way? Highly unlikely!

Not sure why they don't list all parts online... no grills or other parts on their webpage, but they're available.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,542 of 23,458
Quote:
BTW I wonder if HD-650 grills fit the HD-600 and alter the sound in any way? Highly unlikely!

AFAIK they are identical aside from the color of paint that's on them. At first glance the HD600's grill looks more "see-thru" but its essentially an illusion caused by the darker color. Its pitch black while the 650's grill is a lighter and more reflective grey.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #1,543 of 23,458
I would LOVE to hear an AB test demo between 2 cables demonstrating a notable difference  (in FR, not volume) .  Although I must admit, the physics just isn't there, so if I perceived a difference, I'd probably still be looking for the hidden LRC circuit somewhere ......

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,545 of 23,458
Have fun with it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back