Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #631 of 23,456
I got mine this afternoon, via Amazon for a good price. Using the optical out from my MacBook Pro, into my Musical Fidelity V-DAC / V-PSU into Little Dot MKIV.

First run - absolutely like nothing I have heard before. Just stunning. Instruments, sound stage, warmth, clarity , precision. And they are not burned in. I really could swear away at how marvellous these are. They totally rip my FA-003 to shreds.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #634 of 23,456
The fa-003 has some annoying upper mids. your Brain has to accumulate to it because it just doesn't sound natural. The hd600s just sound automatically great without needing any brain burn in.

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #635 of 23,456

Quote:
 The hd600s just sound automatically great without needing any brain burn in.

That's perfect, because it's true for me also.  I've spent the whole week listening to a new output tube in my amp using nothing but the HD 800, and I have to say, I miss the HD 600 because I can put it on and just have at it.  As if I don't have to think about anything...  

I've been in critical listening evaluation mode for too long, I want to relax already!  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #637 of 23,456
Just got a used HD600, well on a minimum setup (small USB DAC out of laptop) and brief listening (1-2 hours), I can already say this one is definitely shining...
I have owned DT880/250 for over a year and really love how it sounds,
but the HD600's warmth and 3D soundstage absolutely added another level to my music listening experience while also complementing my previous setup...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #638 of 23,456
I watched Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize concert on BluRay on my home theater yesterday and I think it may be the best-sounding (rock) recording I have ever heard. Percussion was simply amazing (kick drum punch is the most realistic I've ever experienced at home) and the bass was deep and strong without any bloat. If you haven't seen/heard this concert, I highly recommend it!

So this morning I sat in my living room and streamed my 24 bit rip of the DVD (the BluRay case also includes a DVD) to my Peachtree Nova and HD 600's. I've never heard my 600's sound better. They obviously couldn't match the dynamics and soundstage of my home theater, but they sounded very, very good.

I can't imagine there being much room for improvement with any other headphone.

I am so glad I went through all the effort to audition so many different setups to end up with the HD 600! I really love them.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #639 of 23,456
Where can I find hd600 metal mesh for my hd580?

I want to self refurbish my hd580 for christmas :wink:

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #640 of 23,456
Look, synergy is critical with cans. Having owned Ed9, W5000, HD650 Zu Mobius, and RS1. My new favorite with my, YES Singlepower MPX3 Slam Plitron with various tube sets is the HD 600. It is dynamic, neutral and fun all at the same time. People constantly give opinions on headphones here with out much discussion or emphasis on their setups. I have been fortunate to own this amp along with my RPX-33 for several years, and each phone sounds alot different running on each amp. My Grado 225i sounds completely different running out of the Rudistor vs. the Singlepower. For me the 600 has the right ammount of bass running off the Singlepower. It never sounds congested like my 650 did even with its Zu cable and it sounded more natural than my Ed9, so I sold it. Its a killer headphone.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #641 of 23,456

Quote:
Where can I find hd600 metal mesh for my hd580?

I want to self refurbish my hd580 for christmas :wink:

It's not listed in the parts you can buy but I read that you can e-mail sennheiser to buy them. I want to do this too.

The HD 650 grills are supposed to be stronger so I would get those. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #642 of 23,456
After reading through the thread, it looks like many are able to get these for much less than what I'm seeing.  ($399 is the cheapest)  Is it just a waiting game to see when they go on sale?  Are the prices seasonal?  Do the 2 authorized Ebay retailers accept significantly lower "Best offers"?

I was going to get the HiFiMan HE-300's but the reviews are very mixed.  The HD 600's seem like a much safer bet.  Also, the HD 600's seem like a good fit with my NuForce Icon HD Amp/Dac.  I'm looking for a more balanced can for rock, to compliment my Grado 325is.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #643 of 23,456
HD600's make the ideal modestly priced home system centerpiece.  Not "centerpiece" in the sense of end-all, be-all.  But rather, a great sonic signature that can be  complemented with other, more specialized 'phones.  They also change their face readily and are not fussy when it comes to power -- with a clean/neutral sounding amp the "veil" lifts, with tubes a more lush presentation appears.  Keepers to be sure.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #644 of 23,456

Quote:
After reading through the thread, it looks like many are able to get these for much less than what I'm seeing.  ($399 is the cheapest)  Is it just a waiting game to see when they go on sale? 

I got mine on during an hour long sale for $270 off Amazon, from Amazon, not a third party source.  Before that, I always saw them for $314 from Amazon.  $399 right now is not too much, but not where/what they usually sell for.  I would gladly pay $400 for these things, they're excellent.

Here's a great link: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-Dynamic-Professional-Stereo-Headphones/product/B00004SY4H

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #645 of 23,456
If you are patient, you should be able to pick up the HD 600 new for $300 or less.

I was looking for a more neutral headphone than my HD 650s for classical music, and I bought the HD 600s a few weeks ago and am really enjoying them. 

Without getting into a cable debate, I liked the stock cable, (looks aside as it looks quite flimsy), but found it to be a little 'thin' (dry) sounding - similar in that respect to the AKG 701 sound signature, IMO.  I am currently using the SAA Equinox with them, and feel it gives them  a little more body. I also tried the stock HD 650 cable, which I thought changed the sound slightly in the same direction as the Equinox.  I would suggest giving the stock HD 650 cable a try first, as it is very inexpensive.  

Depending on your music preferences, I could easily see building a very nice system around the HD 600.  I would definitely recommend getting a decent amp. and DAC for them, as there is a night and day difference with a good setup over an inexpensive portable, for example.  After that, I would consider a cable upgrade.  Considering their price to performance, I don't think you can do much better than the HD 600 - assuming neutrality in a headphone is one of your highest priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back