Feb 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #122 of 23,456

Quote:
looks awesome. how much do they go for?

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_22_23

That's if you get it built by ALO.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #125 of 23,456

Quote:
Dear god cables that cost more than the HD600s themselves

Yes, which is why you don't worry about cables until you have a solid setup to go with your cans. That's when cables will really benefit the sound.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #127 of 23,456
I asked the same question about a cable upgrade on the HD600 because they are usually more than what the HD600 costs. I was convinced not to get a cable, I'd use the money to get another headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif
Here's the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539860/sennheiser-hd600-with-a-cable-upgrade#post_7279856

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #129 of 23,456
I think even if I have everything in it's place, I'm not gonna get a 200+ cable when I can just get another phone for different genres of music. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #130 of 23,456

Quote:
headphone - amp - cable

that should be the order.

Close! I would actually say:

1) headphone
2) amp and DAC
3) transport (if required)
4) cables

Quote:
I think even if I have everything in it's place, I'm not gonna get a 200+ cable when I can just get another phone for different genres of music. 

That's perfectly fine. It depends on what you want. Some people want to squeeze that last 5-10% out of the headphones and that's where cables come into play. Others prefer to spend money on other systems.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #131 of 23,456

That's perfectly fine. It depends on what you want. Some people want to squeeze that last 5-10% out of the headphones and that's where cables come into play. Others prefer to spend money on other systems.

Yeah how much are those cables worth in parts anyway? I hope it would be cheaper to make them

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #132 of 23,456
Not sure - I am just going to be lazy and buy the Cardas cable upgrade because here in Taipei - it isn't easy to get the items and I have no idea who could do it for me. I am not good at these things...

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #134 of 23,456
I guess it would not suffice to say all music - they are supposed to be a reference phone. But they aren't fast. Unless you use an amp that is precise on the attacks of sound envelopes - a nice crisp amp would solve that issue.

It depends on what kind of sounds you like to hear from different musics - I would say jazz, rock, pop would be most suitable. I use my Beyer DT-880 for classical music and electro-pop. But for small acoustic ensembles - the HD600 sound really good too.

I am getting mine in two weeks. Looking forward to getting them. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #135 of 23,456

Quote:
Not sure - I am just going to be lazy and buy the Cardas cable upgrade because here in Taipei - it isn't easy to get the items and I have no idea who could do it for me. I am not good at these things...

I live in Taipei. I saw Cardas in Music HiFi store fore 3200NTD and it is too long for my application. that is why I use up my remaining ALO SXC brought back from USA to made this cable. the total cost of the cable is about the same price as retail Cardas I saw. I have 5 pair of Cardas Sennheiser plug remaining. not sure if I want to make a Mogami or Canare version for myself . May not be good because Mogami sound darker than SXC. I can make one or two as practice piece. 

Headphone cable is hard to get in Taipei. all I saw is either pre-made stereo interconnect, speaker cable. only thing that can be used in headphone is Canare Starquad. the worst case will be I hae to order everything oversea.

I am just a beginner, my work is pretty crappy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back