Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #23,341 of 23,456
I’ve absolutely got the Auteur’s on my long-term wishlist, but it’ll be a while before I can justify the expense.** ZMFs are crazy gorgeous. I haven’t spent enough time with a pair to really know what I think of how they sound, but they certainly make a strong first impression.
** The outlay, at first, may seem (😦) extravagant. But as you acclimate to, and learn from, the sound of Auteur (OG or Classic), you'll find the rewards to be great. Plus, you may find relief from headphone chasing, for a while (😜).

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #23,342 of 23,456
** The outlay, at first, may seem (😦) extravagant. But as you acclimate to, and learn from, the sound of Auteur (OG or Classic), you'll find the rewards to be great. Plus, you may find relief from headphone chasing, for a while (😜).
...or you could just stop and be happy with the HD 600. Just a thought. :sunglasses:

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #23,346 of 23,456
I'm starting to keep an eye out for good amp pairings at ~$500.
Imho you don't need a fancy amp to pair with the h600, I use the shanling up4 22 and when the volume isn't enough the hip dac. But maybe a bit more powerful bt device like the ifi go blu will be ok, I prefer blue tooth but ymmv. Anyway you can use the go blu wired, it seems sounds even better

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #23,347 of 23,456
Imho you don't need a fancy amp to pair with the h600, I use the shanling up4 22 and when the volume isn't enough the hip dac. But maybe a bit more powerful bt device like the ifi go blu will be ok, I prefer blue tooth but ymmv. Anyway you can use the go blu wired, it seems sounds even better
Why OTL tubes are not good:

On paper my Rag 1 puts out 3x the wpc at 300 ohms than the BHCs.
I drove the HD-600 easily on my LG V40.
Technically speaking high impedance OTL tube amps vs capable SS desktop headphone amps will show:
* minor increase in volume from about 75-175 Hz.
* the damping will be much lower (audible which accounts for the mid bass boost, but also the whole spectrum is impacted)
* the THD will be much higher (audible).

After those observations we've satisfied the objectivists. Tubes, OTL tubes are more distorted than even bargain basement SS amps - end of story.

Why OTL amps are a great pairing with the HD-600:

My counter: So much is lost in recordings and playback that .000001 distortion in all the common measurement areas - which would make sense if recording and playback before the speaker were perfect - breaks down in the real world - in particular for a corner case like high impedance headphones and OTL amps.

The palpable harmonic richness and tonal correctness in my HD-600/BHCs/Gumby playback ranks very high in my experience. OTOH dynamics, bass impact under 100 Hz, and soundstage - meh. If you have a tight budget and rank timbre at the top of your wants - full stop. We are in classical and quintet (or less) land - not if you are a fan of Chrome, Cannibal Corpse, or Throbing Gristle.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #23,350 of 23,456
Would the JOTUNHEIM 2 work well with the HD600?
Yes, well above average among SS amps generally available. Even better with planars IMO. If that's the budget - unless you just use the 600's and want the extra richness of OTL tubes - the Jot 2 is far more useful for a wide variety of cans than the OTL's at that budget - or really any budget.

Add: Oops, like many/most Schiit amps it puts out more power w/ XLR than SE - very important for planars for sure, if not basically everything.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #23,354 of 23,456
Apr 9, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #23,355 of 23,456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back